Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    I do, though, really appreciate the irony of "lighten up, francis" as the introduction to those two posts. That's stellar.
    I always thought that parents only named their kid "Francis" if they weren't sure whether they wanted to raise them as a boy or a girl- or if they lost a bet somewhere.

Comment

• For you legal minds out there: In a jury trial, would you generally bring a strong supporting witness as the first person you call? It's hard to tell if this is a prosecution or defense witness. Well, it IS a prosecution witness but I don't understand how he's helping the prosecution. Also, the DA is a fucking bore and I don't like him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
        For you legal minds out there: In a jury trial, would you generally bring a strong supporting witness as the first person you call? It's hard to tell if this is a prosecution or defense witness. Well, it IS a prosecution witness but I don't understand how he's helping the prosecution. Also, the DA is a fucking bore and I don't like him.
        I'm not a legal mind but I think for the most part you work up to your stronger witnesses. That's how it was in the Chauvin trial as I recall.

Comment

• OK, that makes sense.

Comment

For you legal minds out there: In a jury trial, would you generally bring a strong supporting witness as the first person you call? It's hard to tell if this is a prosecution or defense witness. Well, it IS a prosecution witness but I don't understand how he's helping the prosecution. Also, the DA is a fucking bore and I don't like him.
            They need to tell a coherent story, but generally, yes, you want to start off with your most credible witnesses. The jury will give you the benefit of the doubt until they don't. You generally want to use that presumption to build up your credibility. Once you lose the jury's trust, you're fucked.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Well never mind lol

I just thought most of the prosecution's later witnesses in the Chauvin trial were other cops, medical examiners, people who have more credibility than "gawker passing by". But I get the point about the narrative probably being the more important element.

Comment

• Well, it did help the Prosecution in Chauvin that they had 10 minutes of film showing the entire murder.

The DA in Rittenhouse only has video that exonerates the defendant.

Comment

• I've seen estimates that repealing the SALT cap for five years potentially costs the federal govt about $500 BILLION in taxes. That may technically make it the most expensive single item in the spend-o-rama omnibus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    Well never mind lol

I just thought most of the prosecution's later witnesses in the Chauvin trial were other cops, medical examiners, people who have more credibility than "gawker passing by". But I get the point about the narrative probably being the more important element.
                    With Chauvin, they had to establish the predicate acts before they could adduce testimony as to the propriety of those acts.

It's also a little different with criminal trials. In civil trials you have way more control over your witnesses. You can spend a lot of time with them getting them "credible." So, even if narrative compels a certain witness out of the gate, you can still spend time making sure that witness doesn't wreck your credibility. Holding serve is enough if you have heavy hitters coming.

With criminal trials you get stuck with whoever the fuck was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      I've seen estimates that repealing the SALT cap for five years potentially costs the federal govt about $500 BILLION in taxes. That may technically make it the most expensive single item in the spend-o-rama omnibus.
                      There was a really good, relatively short article in the NRO yesterday about the gradual transformation of the parties. The Ds once use to be the blue collar party. The Rs once used to be the fat cats. Now that the "professional class" has seemed to move firmly D and the blue collar more to the Rs, the parties are gradually realigning their politics. SALT is a definite sop to the professional class as is, e.g., free college. The Rs newfound embrace of, e.g., tariffs is, well, blue collar populism.

It's a glacially-paced change, but I thought it was fairly interesting. The article noted that Manchin is what a Moderate D used to be and Sinema is what a "moderate" D is now.

Comment

• If you were a Hollywood writer writing a fictional script about an unjust fictional trial, you would have trouble coming up with something more egregiously unjust than the Kyle Rittenhouse trial.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                          If you were a Hollywood writer writing a fictional script about an unjust fictional trial, you would have trouble coming up with something more egregiously unjust than the Kyle Rittenhouse trial.
                          Where does he pick up his crimestoppers checks? Only question that matters.

He should thank God there's this much video.

Comment

• $2,000,000 bond. It’s a fucking farce. The DA looked like the judge asked him to turn in his science project and he thought it was due next week. I was waiting for him to say “your honor, I STRENUOUSLY object”. Which is essentially what he did while conceding that what the defense was doing is completely within the law.

Then the first witness for the prosecution was Kyle’s close friend who bought the gun. He’s being charged with a couple felonies for that and agreed to testify for the prosecution but, as I said earlier, I think he helped Rittenhouse.

As long as the jury isn’t a bunch of woke activists, there will be a quick acquittal.

Comment

$2,000,000 bond. It’s a fucking farce
                              WHITE PRIVILEGE

Comment

• So what was the total showing of Qanoners? A dozen and the rest were media and under cover Feds?

Comment

Working...
                                X