No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travis McMichael will go under cross-examination by the prosecutor today over in the Arbery trial. The judge is also supposed to rule if Prosecutors can mention that the guy who filmed it (and co-defendent) testified that McMichael called Arbery the n word while he lay dying.

Comment

• The purpose of the Rittenhouse trial is to send a message. You are at the mercy of the mob.
      "Everyone takes a beating sometime." I think it's in the Bill of Rights.

Judge Schroeder also addressed the media regarding false reporting, etc. He explained why Rittenhouse was allowed to draw out the alternate jurors from the raffle barrel. You see, back in the 1980s he presided over a murder trial with a black defendant. There were 13 people on the jury and one of them would be randomly selected as an alternate. He had the court clerk draw the number and it happened to be the only black juror on the panel. Complaints about it being fixed were made. After that, he adopted his current system where the accused draws out the numbers so nobody can make that claim anymore. You could say he based his decision on logic and reason; the new racism in 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        Travis McMichael will go under cross-examination by the prosecutor today over in the Arbery trial. The judge is also supposed to rule if Prosecutors can mention that the guy who filmed it (and co-defendent) testified that McMichael called Arbery the n word while he lay dying.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...1-fc874e104e29
        If you use a racial slur, you don't have the right to self defense (it's in the Constitution)

Comment

• If I were the judge I'd be inclined to exclude that testimony. It is, at best, suggestive of the defendants' state of mind. It is, however, highly prejudicial. In other words, it's a tailor-made issue for appeal. IMO, they'll get convicted with or without the testimony, so I'd lean toward excluding it and taking away a viable appeals issue.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            If I were the judge I'd be inclined to exclude that testimony. It is, at best, suggestive of the defendants' state of mind. It is, however, highly prejudicial. In other words, it's a tailor-made issue for appeal. IMO, they'll get convicted with or without the testimony, so I'd lean toward excluding it and taking away a viable appeals issue.
            This seems fair. I think the judge previously excluded any mention of McMichael's facebook posts where he used racial slurs. He had a Confederate flag license plate on his truck and I think the Defense wanted it blurred out from the video and any photos but the Judge wouldn't go that far.

"He wanted the world to know this," the lead prosecutor said about Travis McMichael's vanity plate that featured a Confederate emblem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

If you use a racial slur, you don't have the right to self defense (it's in the Constitution)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

This seems fair. I think the judge previously excluded any mention of McMichael's facebook posts where he used racial slurs. He had a Confederate flag license plate on his truck and I think the Defense wanted it blurred out from the video and any photos but the Judge wouldn't go that far.

https://news.yahoo.com/judge-deems-t...174108439.html
                So, the legal calculation is whether the probative value of the evidence outweights its prejudicial effect or vice-versa. We don't want juries convicting on evidence that isn't particularly informative of the charges. The facebook stuff is so far removed in time from the self-defense claim that it has virtually zero probative value and huge prejudicial effect. That's an easy call. The testimony in question is, at least, contemporaneous and, as I mentioned, arguably goes to the defendant's state of mind. However, it doesn't elucidate that much in terms of the self-defense issue and is, obviously, hugely prejudicial.

This is a closer question than the FB stuff because there's actually some probative value given its contemporaneous nature. But, again, I'd tend to exclude.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

They might do that, but then they will end up in prison. The purpose of the Rittenhouse trial is to send a message. You are at the mercy of the mob.
                  Well, that may be true in Kenosha, but here we had judges and prosecutors who refused to carry out the edicts of our idiotic governor and AG. They're a bit more people friendly here. That business burning stuff won't fly out here.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• ...frantically looks up the word "contemporaneous"...head spins...
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• It means STFU.

so STFU
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Stop plagiarizing me son...it's embarrassing...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• How about a contemporaneous STFU to you both?

Comment

• No.
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

Well, that may be true in Kenosha, but here we had judges and prosecutors who refused to carry out the edicts of our idiotic governor and AG. They're a bit more people friendly here. That business burning stuff won't fly out here.
                              As best I can tell, Kenosha isn't commie central. Trump won the county by 3 points. The city itself is probably bluer than that, but the point that I am trying to make is that there are very few locales where you are safe from the wrath of BLM and Antifa. In most places, there is a prosecutor available to make an example of you.

Comment

As best I can tell, Kenosha isn't commie central. Trump won the county by 3 points. The city itself is probably bluer than that, but the point that I am trying to make is that there are very few locales where you are safe from the wrath of BLM and Antifa. In most places, there is a prosecutor available to make an example of you.
                                The patience for the antics of BLM and Antifa isn't what it was last year- before the majority of Americans realized that they were being played and that Biden was a total dottering idiot. Maybe they were looking for a Jerry Ford type instead of the Jerry Lewis that we got. The whole "defund the Police" movement hasn't exactly gone as well as they would have expected, either (not like that's a surprise to any of us that aren't spewing out out programmed propaganda)..

Comment

Working...
                                X