Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGVT.

I don’t think Rittenhouse is a hero at all. And, as a father of a grown son, I look back at when my son was 17-years-old and try to imagine him roaming the streets during a riot with an AR-15 and all I can think is that I would have lost my goddamn mind if he had done that or asked to do that (because I can guarantee you he wouldn’t have if I knew anything about it).

That riot was no place for anyone -rioters, onlookers, so-called helpers -no one. In fact, the only people who should have been there once curfew was called were the police and they sadly stayed out of the fray.

But none of that matters. He was there. So were the rioters and a very real criminal element looking to cause trouble.

Kyle was chased, kicked, struck, and knocked down. The question is this: When you are being chased and attacked, and you run, and are knocked down in a Purge-like night of lawlessness, do you have a right to defend yourself or do you just have to take your beating like a Reginald Denny (or worse)? It’s hard for me to imagine anyone trying to hang a homicide change on him. It would be extremely fucked up if he is found guilty.
    Last edited by AlabamAlum; November 18, 2021, 09:11 PM.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The genius of The Left is to push defund the police, generally allow the mobs to loot as they see fit, create lawlessness zones and then bitch about “vigilantes” — it’s staggering.

Then again, The Chairman is doing everything he can to limit fossil fuel production and then bitching about prices for fossil fuels being too high.

Comical.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
        No. I am in favor of law enforcement doing their job without the "help" of gun toting vigilantes.
        I agree. It's unfortunate that so many LE agencies in this country are knee-capped by their politicians.

Serious question: How close is someone supposed to come to death before they can defend themselves?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

I think the general public opinion is that defense attorneys, on the whole, are amoral sleazeballs while prosecutors are heroes protecting society. At least that was the predominant view in my childhood and the "BE TOUGH ON CRIME" community. That opinion has maybe shifted since lots of stuff becomes more widely known -- documentaries like Making a Murderer and all that.

It's increasingly changing but for some people the idea that Prosecutors can be just as slimy as any defense attorney is utterly unfathomable.
          I don’t really dispute your characterization of prosecutors. Especially in machine cities. Cleveland, for example, has a grossly politicized office. It leads to incompetence more than malevolence.

But, by and large, cases are pretty clear.

Comment

It's increasingly changing but for some people the idea that Prosecutors can be just as slimy as any defense attorney is utterly unfathomable.
            I generally fall on the side of the prosecution but they seem to have gone full woke - at least in certain areas That isn't an accident. I'm personally dealing with a criminal case in which a close family member was killed by an impaired driver with a long criminal history. Given my geographic location, I'm hoping the defendant sees the inside of a prison cell. I'm holding my breath.

Comment

• Three things can be (and, IMO, are):

(1) You can question Rittenhouse’s decisions for exactly the reasons AA stated;
              (2) You can question Wisconsin law on general gun laws, open carry and self-defense (I think I agree with them, but it’s open for discussion); and
              (3) Under the indisputable facts and law, Rittenhouse should be acquitted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

I agree. It's unfortunate that so many LE agencies in this country are knee-capped by their politicians.

Serious question: How close is someone supposed to come to death before they can defend themselves?
                If he hadn't take his Rambo ass to Kenosha, he would not have been close to death.

I have no problem with self defense. Somebody breaks into your house and threatens you? Blow them away. Grab your gun and go "help" law enforcement? Or grab your gun and chase down a man running or walking through your neighborhood and then kill him when you confront him and claim self defense? You get no sympathy from me.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• If George Floyd wasn’t a criminal he’s be alive. Again, the but-for argument is so fucking stupid.
                  Last edited by iam416; November 18, 2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• CGVT’s argument is literally that you can’t go toward danger. You can’t go to a bad part of town. If you do go to a dangerous place or a bad part of town then you aren’t entitled to defend yourself. That’s the essence of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

I generally fall on the side of the prosecution but they seem to have gone full woke - at least in certain areas That isn't an accident. I'm personally dealing with a criminal case in which a close family member was killed by an impaired driver with a long criminal history. Given my geographic location, I'm hoping the defendant sees the inside of a prison cell. I'm holding my breath.
                      Prosecutors tend to be the one agent of the State the Right trusts, and the one agent of the State the Left does not.

Comment

Prosecutors tend to be the one agent of the State the Right trusts, and the one agent of the State the Left does not.
                        That’s probably true, but, again, the biggest DA offices are run by Ds. Nice juxtaposition.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          CGVT’s argument is literally that you can’t go toward danger. You can’t go to a bad part of town. If you do go to a dangerous place or a bad part of town then you aren’t entitled to defend yourself. That’s the essence of it.
                          Oh bullshit..

My argument is that you don't go to war unless you are a soldier. You don't enforce the law unless you are a LEO

That is the essence of it.
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            CGVT’s argument is literally that you can’t go toward danger. You can’t go to a bad part of town. If you do go to a dangerous place or a bad part of town then you aren’t entitled to defend yourself. That’s the essence of it.
                            You don't lose the right of self defense if you are carrying a gun. That's kinda the point of carrying a gun.

Comment

• I like the man in Kenosha who was trying to put out a fire and had his jaw broken. I guess he got what deserved for trying to do the job of the fire department.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

You don't lose the right of self defense if you are carrying a gun. That's kinda the point of carrying a gun.
                                Oh, I know. It ain’t my position.

Comment

Working...
                                X