Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bidens have it all under control.

Comment

• Americans can watch the evolving shit-storm in Eastern Europe from afar and absorb themselves with NFL football and college B-Ball..... which is probably a good idea.

I've been characterizing Putin as a Czarist. Different time, different places so, that may not apply. Nevertheless, he is a Russian nationalist and a tough autocrat that's intent on rectifying the humiliation of the Soviet Union's collapse and the end of Russian influence in and dominance of it's Baltic state neighbors - who are now, all currently NATO members. Actually, he's been working on that for two decades and has written extensively about that goal. I can see the rub. I also see this evolving conflict being a clash of world views with Putin envisioning an end to social liberalism and the democratic west's global influence. Instead, Putin's preferred means of governing is through totalitarianism and in his particular case leaders operate as autocrats.

He can take a step toward his objective by invading Ukraine and I believe he is intent on doing that when it warms up, like in May. NATO should respond by pre-positioning forces and it looks like that is going to happen. Hopefully, it will remain a conventional and limited military conflict. It will still be nasty given the lethality of the modern battlefield and Putin's military objective: the neutralization of Ukraine's military and a forced political settlement that installs a pro-Russian government there.

The West's objective should be to contain this thing so a war doesn't spill over into Central Europe and the Baltic States. Russian military objectives in support of it's political aims confronted by a prepared, unified and intent NATO should make that entirely possible. Ukrainians will resist and even though the Russian military is capable of forcing a political settlement favorable to them, as I mentioned before, Russia can't hold Ukraine by making it a police state. That is because even in Putin's own back yard, liberal political currents are present. Those same liberal political currents are even more prevalent in Ukraine and surrounding Baltic States.

Putin is therefore overreaching if he believes he can ruthlessly silence political dissent like he has done in Russia in the vastness of Eastern Europe and in the process recreate the USSR. Those countries have had a taste of democratic freedoms and capitalism. NATO just needs patience and a longer term view. Putin's goal of recreating a USSR, with a even modernized Communist centralized economy, will still suffer the same fate the USSR of the past suffered.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• The EU is staying and implies we're overreacting.
        Europe is counting on the US to come in and bail them out for a third time when it becomes necessary. What we really need is another European war where US soldiers are dying for Europe. I think Europe should defend Europe, but what do I know?
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

Europe is counting on the US to come in and bail them out for a third time when it becomes necessary. What we really need is another European war where US soldiers are dying for Europe. I think Europe should defend Europe, but what do I know?
          Well, the NATO alliance might get in the way of that viewpoint.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• A-10s and KC-135s into Ukraine and B-52s to the UK. Call Putin’s bluff. He ‘s got some serious problems at home he needs to distract from. Don’t let him make Ukraine the distraction. He’s a dictator and the only way he’ll back down is if he sees a lose-lose scenario.

Not much in the news about the Russo-Sino cooperation in all of this. Think Chinese activity around Taiwan and Russian moves against Ukraine are coincidental? 4 years of Trump’s “spit or swallow?” stance toward Russia has left them feeling they can act with impunity. The more China squeezes in the east lessens US options in the west in Putin’s mind. Xi sees this as an opportunity as well.

The US should be willing to hammer both economically. And I mean severing most trade altogether. Such a move could tank the US economy but would do far more damage to Russia and China. As a capitalist country, our economy will recover far faster than theirs. Make sure this is clear and on the table - it might head off any military confrontation. Make Russia understand economic depression and NoKo style food issues pose a far greater threat than NATO.
            I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• I remember when Russia tried to annex Crimea. Thank fucking god we had such a strong D President in office to stop that shit.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• All we need is for the UN to step in, and they'll find a peaceful settlement to all of this, that everyone can be happy with.

Comment

• NATO is not avoiding a hot war in Ukraine. Of course it can just stand the fuck by and let Putin have his with with Zelenski and Ukraine.

In that I see this as an opening battle in a war pitting liberal democracy v. authoritarianism, I think that's a bad idea. So did FDR and I hope that gramps has it in him to see it the same way.

Comment

• The trouble with the Crimea was Russia’s naval bases in that area. If Ukraine joined NATO with Crimea still in Ukrainian hands, Russia would most certainly gone to war over that. Access to the Atlantic only through Murmansk would would be a strategic disaster for Russia and not tolerated. It would be like if the Chinese kicked us out of Japan, the Philippines and Pearl Harbor. But I do agree, our Crimea response should have been much harsher, at least economically.
                    I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• The "problem" is this. The Ds have been ginormous fucking pussies since I've been alive. That's not going to change. They want no part of any war. So be it. The Rs used to be the party that wasn't afraid to use the big stick. However, GWB burned through our patience on that front and DJT's populist isolationism is what is more in vogue with the Rs now. The only group of people who want the US to stand strong in real ways are the #NeverTrumpers who, literally, have no party and no sway.

But the notion that The Chairman or Obama would handle Putin any differently than DJT is laughably stupid. They're all gonna talk bigly and carry a tiny ass stick. That's our foreign policy at the moment. And Putin and Xi and everyone know it.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• But the notion that The Chairman or Obama would handle Putin any differently than DJT is laughably stupid. They're all gonna talk bigly and carry a tiny ass stick. That's our foreign policy at the moment. And Putin and Xi and everyone know it.
                        Especially this.

Comment

• Ukraine is not a full NATO member that would automatically trigger a military defense of their country. The West should still do so for a number of reasons but they aren't required to under the flag of NATO.

Originally posted by Obi-Jon View Post
                          Think Chinese activity around Taiwan and Russian moves against Ukraine are coincidental? 4 years of Trump’s “spit or swallow?” stance toward Russia has left them feeling they can act with impunity.
                          That's funny, I was thinking the senile jackass that's in charge now helped inspire these "minor incursions" with his limp dick Afghan withdrawal and a military that seems more preoccupied with understanding "white rage" than strategizing against our enemies. Maybe if the Pentagon was staffed more than 25% in an effort to protect a young, healthy, vaccinated cohort of military intelligence officials we'd have a better handle on things as well. Just a guess.

This is a really good read. Jeff, you'll probably like this guy's essay.

The Pentagon Has Turned into a Covid Panic Room

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/...id-panic-room/

What exactly is HPCON C? Well, here are just some of the most ridiculous measures put in place at the Pentagon and our overflow offices as a result of these protocols (on top of the virtually universal indoor masking already enforced):
                          • Organizations are expected to maintain occupancy rates at less than 25 percent of normal occupancy
                          • The Pentagon Athletic Center (PAC) will open to active-duty military and Pentagon Force Protection Agency first responders only. All annexes will be closed. The Mark Center and Polk Building athletic centers will be closed
                          • The 9/11 Memorial will also remain closed with the exception of pre-approved activities
                          • Promotion and retirement ceremonies indoors should be discouraged or deferred when possible
                          • Food court and concession options remain available with no options for indoor seating

While this list is quite transparently foolish, I would like to expand on exactly how foolish these measures are. Just for the sake of argument, let’s assume these measures will actually cut down on community spread. Would they be worth it? What are the costs of implementing them? Of course, these questions are not allowed to be asked; the Pentagon is instead operating by the absurd metric of “if it saves just one life.”

While home work might suffice for Google or other tech-centered businesses, we’re talking about the Pentagon here. Breaking my workload out, I spend about 20 percent of my time on a “Secret” level system, about 75 percent on a “Top Secret” level system, and maybe 5 percent of my time on a “unclassified” system. That is, only about 5 percent of my work can actually be done remotely.

While my personal example is an anecdote, I am in a good position to tell you that a large portion of my peers are in similar circumstances. Our “telework” days are nothing more than sitting and staring at our unclassified emails, wondering and thinking about all the work we actually have to do when we get a chance to physically go into the office. I cannot even write those thoughts down to ensure I actually get to them all when I am in the office because I cannot store classified information at home or transport it to and from work.

ROBERT M. BERG is an active-duty combat-arms officer, a commissioned officer of 20-plus years, and was an enlisted infantryman for three years before that. He has served all over the world, from lowest-level tactical units all the way up to strategic planning at the Pentagon. ROBERT M. BERG is his pen name.

Comment

• Does this make anyone feel safer?

Comment

Attached Files
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                Ukraine is not a full NATO member that would automatically trigger a military defense of their country. The West should still do so for a number of reasons but they aren't required to under the flag of NATO.
                                We shouldn't do jack shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X