• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putin eventually will cross the border somewhere and grab another slice

then negotiate but keep his slice

and joe can then claim we have peace in our time

Comment

• Putin is a bad actor, no doubt. His ambitions are relatively modest when compared to other meglomaniac autocrats. As Jeff noted, he'd probably like to piece together what he can of the former USSR, but even there he's constrained a bit by NATO and the EU. He can't touch the Baltic states, e.g. He can, however, go after the Ukraine and Belarus, though the latter is, I believe, a Putin puppet state of sorts.

Anyway, Hitler, of course, was only constrained by the lack of inter-planetary travel. He wanted everything. Putin likely knows that the Ukraine is about as far as he push it.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
        Putin is not our enemy. I don't care what he does.

He is not on a steep re-arming curve and there is no "confront him now when he is weak vs. confront him later when he is strong" decision to make as there was with Hitler.
        First, one can argue as you state, "he's (Putin) not on a steep rearming curve." While the size of a previously huge, less than agile Russian military has shrunk, the degree of modernization within it is significant. This space is not a good one for discussing that. Smaller? Yes. Less capable? No. In terms of it's expanded capacity to wage unconventional and cyber warfare, control space and undersea environments, it's a world beater.

Second, we may see this on different levels. On a day to day level, you're right, I don't care what Putin does either as long as what he is doing can't be identified as a part of a what some believe and I am among them, is his grand strategy. That would be Putin's intent to expand Moscow's influence in the boundary countries of Eastern Europe that separate and provide a defensive barrier to NATO expansion and the spread of western interests and influence. Putin would like to have a seat at the table of every country's government that once was a part of the USSR and be able to influence events in Western Europe from Moscow and in his favor. Make no mistake, Vladimir Putin is no friend of freedom and democracy.

I see forcing a political settlement in Ukraine that favors that grand strategy is Putin's military objective there. Moreover, he'll continue to do that in the former Soviet Bloc countries of Eastern Europe, one by one, until his grand strategic objectives are solidified by sheer momentum and a lack of will power in the West to stop him. If America has no collective interest in furthering democratic principals and freedom then, sure, turn the world over to Putin, Xi', Kim Jung Il, Maduro, Assad and whoever is running Iran these days. IMO, Russia and China, along with their collaborators made up of other autocratic nations presently supporting each other, are engaged in a group effort to subvert democracy and freedom. The goal is to replace democratically governed and free nations with autocracies while at the same time neuter the global influence of the US.

If one is fine with that outcome we won't agree that on the tactical level and as part of the strategic interest of the West NATO along with the US need to resist Putin in Ukraine, militarily if necessary.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Well, fucking amazing ....... the DJIA rose nearly 1000 points in the four hours between noon and the closing bell at 4pm today to close up 0.30% (up 100+ points from todays opening after being down almost 500 points. Back to buying the dips? Machine trading at its best.

Take the long view. The DOW is up 4000 points since the opening on January 2nd, 2021.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            Stocks are doing well today
            Ironic post becomes unironic at about 3:30.

Comment

• ...it was all contingent on the crop report...
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I shorted oranges. That was the key.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                  US need to resist Putin in Ukraine, militarily if necessary.
                  What's in it for me?

Comment

• Entertainment. We’re in our 2nd winter of Covid fatigue. Still have to deal with fucking February. We haven’t really played anyone from a P5 country in a while. Fuck it. Let’s strafe some Russians. You’ll be surprised how good you feel.

Comment

• Problem is, the Russians can strafe back. We're not talking about Iraq and Saddam's boys here ...
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

Ironic post becomes unironic at about 3:30.
                        Heh, I posted that about the time the DOW was down about 1100 points. Even I underestimated the Chairman's magic!!!!

Comment

• Thinking back to your other post, Hanni, I'm still getting used to the *NEW* Republican Party that openly mocks and derides the active military as a bunch of useless pussies, nowhere near as masculine, brave, and heroic as the typical pot-bellied, balding, effete, & rapidly aging Trumpster

Comment

• Surprising ruling in Federal Court before 2 Trump appointees which says Alabama's congressional map is illegal under the Voting Rights Act and orders it to create two majority black districts. Likely going to be appealed to the Supreme Court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              Thinking back to your other post, Hanni, I'm still getting used to the *NEW* Republican Party that openly mocks and derides the active military as a bunch of useless pussies, nowhere near as masculine, brave, and heroic as the typical pot-bellied, balding, effete, & rapidly aging Trumpster

I can't wait to see how the Tranny Vanguard fares against the cis Cossacks.

comp-1611748529.png
                              befunky_collage_0.jpg?VersionId=Ve8Jc0B_H63iZgwTHyeP7VWCihJmnkJh.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                Entertainment. We’re in our 2nd winter of Covid fatigue. Still have to deal with fucking February. We haven’t really played anyone from a P5 country in a while. Fuck it. Let’s strafe some Russians. You’ll be surprised how good you feel.
                                Hah hah.

OK seriously. What's in it for me?

Come up with one reason why, as an American, I should give a shit about the Ukraine.
                                Last edited by Hannibal; January 24, 2022, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X