Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did we beat the Aussies?
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Look on e-bay Mackenzie, something like this? New- $7.99

Comment

• Thanks. Appears to be what I'm looking for so will go and check it out.

Comment

• 2 weekends in a row I get that lovely virus that basically locks up explorer and tells me my passwords and credit card info is being shared, click here to fix. Nice frick'n virus

I just wish I knew where I was getting it
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Use Firefox. I never use Explorer.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• A safe and Happy Easter to all.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                Use Firefox. I never use Explorer.
                Is it that much better?
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• My kid, the computer geek, tells me that Firefox is less susceptible to viruses. He won't let me run Explorer on this computer that he bought for me.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Explorer 9 is suppose to be pretty good right now, which is what I use. At least that is what Kim Komando tells me.

Comment

• Firefox is what the "cool" kids run. Back when Firefox first came out, IE was on version 6, which by all accounts pretty much sucked because Microsoft had been coasting since about version 4. Since then IE has gotten quite a bit better, mostly because they had to due to competition from Firefox.

I run both IE and Firefox extensively. I see almost no difference between the two, except that Firefox has a nifty debugger you can install for web development.

Comment

• I should update to IE9. Does it run on all versions of Microsoft's OSs? I've got a machines that I'm very happy with that are running Windows 2000 and one with XP. I had such a bad experience with Vista that I've resisted Windows 7, not to mention I don't like software changes much at all because functions, displays and buttons change.
                        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Win 7 much, much > Vista

Change is mostly behind the scenes, the interface is much of the same as Vista.

Comment

• Oh, without a doubt. Vista is probably the 2nd crappiest OS Microsoft has ever put out, (with the never-should-have-been-released Windows ME being the worst). Windows 7 is probably the best OS they have ever created. I've been running it since the Beta and it is such an improvement over Vista that there is no comparison. I thought I'd hold onto XP until they pried it out of my cold dead hands, but now I would never think of going back to XP.

I especially like Windows 7 because I run it on a 64-bit machine that allows me to stuff up to 24GB of memory in it (I have 12GB). Having tons of memory like that is just fantastic when you are doing development work.
                            Last edited by Jamie H; April 25, 2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• .... also, just looked it up. IE9 will not run on XP. You have to have Win 7 to run IE9. Bummer. I'm not going to upgrade until I need new hardware and that is not going to be for a while.

As a side note, I have had no problems with viruses in IE8 but I am rigorous about running anti-virus software scans and keeping windows updated on all my machines. I don't run auto updates, instead run it manually then carefully select what I want downloaded from MS.
                              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• So you a WIN 7 guru, Jeff? I've got a couple of questions (simple I hope). Have a machine (not mine) that was hit with the WINDOWS RECOVERY VIRUS. Basically, it hides *everything*. I cleaned the machine with Malwarebytes and have pretty much gotten everything back to semi-normal. But I have some menus (All Programs, Internet Favorites) that remain blank. The contents remain hidden because if I re-save an internet favorite, it prompts me that its already there (but unseen). Where in the directory structure do I find them? I should be able to unhide them if I knew where the frick they were. Similar for All Programs - re-installs put them back, yet all the missing ones can be seen if you actually drill down into the directory structure. And where the hell is Internet Explorer? Can't find that anywhere. Is Documents and Settings usually a locked (inaccessible) folder?
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X