• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Strangelove
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Strangelove
    replied
    Ken Buck of Colorado is resigning next week instead of finishing his term. Will mean a 218-213 House once he's gone (The current Congress started at 222-212). Johnson can only afford to lose 2 votes now.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Strangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

It's not moronic if you prioritize saving the jobs in the domestic jeans or bananas businesses over having cheap jeans or bananas.

But you do need to impose tariffs on every industry if you want to be fair, so the guys making cars or Oreos don't end up worse off. The people who lose the most are people working in jobs that don't compete with foreign imports. Which is lots of us. I don't love the concept, but I can see where the motivation comes from.
    Are textile manufacturing jobs so needed and desirable that it's worth it to society if the cost of clothes are significantly higher than they are now? How many jobs would you create? Some things we're just better off having made overseas. And obviously that goes for any agricultural products that aren't economical to grow here.

Leave a comment:

• Tom W
    replied
    I can agree with that, Rob.

The GOP also needs to get their "Pro-Life" zealots under control. The mindset of "No Exceptions" applies to losing elections.

Leave a comment:

• Rob F
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom W View Post

Which isn't much of a problem when you see what the other options are.
    While this is true of most of the options in both sides of the aisle, nobody in the GOP other than Christie (and then finally Nikki Haley, but too little too late) had the guts to take a strong stance against Trump.
    I've always been an independent voter, never a member of either party, and I mourn the fact that the GOP continues to implode itself. What used to be an intelligent/intellectual political party with well thought-out and sensible policies has devolved into near total buy-in of crackpot conspiracy nonsense, trumpism, and idiots like MTG, Gaetz, Gosar, Boebert, Tucker Carlson, Kerri Lake, etc.

Until the GOP comes back to its senses, no thank you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X