• Show
Clear All

• iam416
    replied
    JIM CROW ON STEROIDS!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Hannibal
    replied
    I’m moving to North Carolina to vote for that guy.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Strangelove
    replied
    Uhhhhh speaking about Republicans nominating extremists who appeal to overly online loons but not normies….

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Buchanan
    replied
    Mike, this is an incredibly complex issue that involves employment law, because college athletes will become employees, and contract law, because college athletes will sign employment contracts.

College leagues have to evolve to accommodate the different levels of revenue contributions such teams make each season. Spit-balling here, conceivably, leagues would arise from the current CFB structure (with other college sports tagging along), e.g., FBS, FCS, and from the FBS the power 5 and the group of 5. As in European soccer, a pyramid of leagues for each college sport, composed of these teams would emerge with a Premier league at the top of the pyramid or pyramids and the ability to move in and out of these leagues based on records as in the case of the European soccer leagues. College basketball, baseball, hockey, swimming, gymnastics teams, etc find their own leagues, such leagues evolving in parallel with CFB leagues. e.g. M's hockey team would play in the same league that M's football team plays within.

The NCAA is dissolved, conferences disappear. A College Athletics Commissioner with associate commissioners from the FBS and FCS evolve. Other college sports are equally represented in this manner. The Commissioner's office negotiates national merchandise, licensing, and TV contracts, which make up most of the national revenue from college sports. The 134 FBS teams would then be divided into leagues with each league receiving shares of this money on a sliding scale defined by the revenue each of the 134 programs contributes to the whole. e.g., Ohio State gets a bigger share of the revenue than ECU. Each of the 134 FBS teams can generate a separate pot of money for themselves from concession sales, ticket sales, and corporate sponsors.​

Once you set up an organizational scheme like this, each league further divided into teams, would have a set amount of revenue for each sport that makes up the pot of money from which athletes in those sports are paid. For example, FBS Power Five teams will have a larger pot of money to pay players than Group of 5 teams A player on an FBS Power Five team is going to receive a higher salary than a player on a Group of 5 team. Pots of money are further divided by each school based on the revenue that sport generates. i.e., a tennis player isn't going to make the same amount of money a football player would make. As in the NFL, a similar draft system for CFB (and conceivably for other sports) would determine where HS athletes end up signing employment contracts and which teams they will play for. Trades and transfers would mirror the NFL's system.

I realize this concept could be completely unworkable but its a start or jumping off point. I've seen concepts for CFB mirroring the European soccer leagues before. With the right modifications that concept would seem to work for most college sports and especially for CFB and Basketball.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Strangelove
    replied
    * The smear campaign against a raped little girl and her mom which turned out to be 100% inaccurate. The mom was telling the truth about everything as time showed.

* The months of lies about preventing an Abortion Amendment, how it was about "respect for our Constitution". Then finally admitting that yeah, actually, we just want to prevent abortion from becoming a right because we know we're going to lose.

* Mike DeWine going on tv and sniveling and groveling and promising to relax abortion restrictions if only voters reject Issue 1 (enshrining it in the Constitution). No one with a brain believed that dude's phony last-ditch promises because no one with a brain believes the elderly lame duck has any sway with the statehouse beyond tax breaks for businesses.

All that soured me quite a bit on the Ohio GOP establishment during 2022-2023 and made me realize they're worse than Trump on this issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X