Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STFU
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• With Ruiz not blocking anyone and instead looking for a linebacker to block and a defender who goes unblocked makes the tackle behind the line of scrimmage, I find it hard to evaluate M's running backs. There are major issues with Ruiz making reads/line calls, and the OL knowing who to block and I haven't seen much progress in season.

Were not recruiting at the level of the Buckeyes or even close, pretty sure M is much closer in talent to Sparty than the Buckeyes. Running back is a position Harbaugh particularly hasn't recruited well. M's offense appears one in transition and not overly confident about those in charge know how to fix the issues. M needs a lot of progress in season.

Comment

• Ruiz, I believe, is in the same class as Davis and Myers and was similarly ranked. I can't comment on how Ruiz is playing, but he needs to be really good for the M OL to be really good.

Wyatt Davis decleated Bachie last week. Worked to the 2nd level sort of caught him a little surprised on his flow and literally lifted him off his feet. Davis really struggled in his first year and half, but last year toward the end of the season he started to get it and now he really gets it.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• M's interior OL play has taken two steps back from last season with the exact same players. Maybe Ben Mason at fullback was blocking some mistakes from them.

Interior OL is two seniors and a 5 star Junior, all of them projected to get drafted. Transition from last season is a big factor, with better coaching it shouldn't be as big as what I'm seeing.

Comment

• Yeah, good points ........ you're right about "hard to get to the RB level when you're dealing with 3 other variables." My take is that I think Harbaugh has influenced the Gattis version of the ZR/RPO offense to the extent that it is heavy on the run to pass flavor. Too heavy, IMO. Given my view that Patterson may just be not good running the ZR/RPO offense and that it has therefore become a mish-mash of the Gattis ZR/RPO offense with last seasons IZ/OZ power to PA offense than the coaches might have wanted it to be, it's nonetheless a very bad version of both offenses. Teams M should crush in the run game and just not have to pass at all, were able to keep it in check for the most part. That's telling and might lessen the impact on the calculus of the QB and OL variables - obviously not completely, it's certainly still in play.

I've seen more than a few UFRs (both Brian's and other's) of OL play. You would be correct in saying osu's OL play is >>> than M's but, overall, M's run blocking, while spotty, has been more good than bad. I'd argue that it then comes down to how the RBs are getting coached.
            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• M's interior OL play has taken two steps back from last season with the exact same players. Maybe Ben Mason at fullback was blocking some mistakes from them.

Interior OL is two seniors and a 5 star Junior, all of them projected to get drafted. Transition from last season is a big factor, with better coaching it shouldn't be as big as what I'm seeing.
              Right. That was projected as a real strength for M and I haven't seen it. Conversely, it was an open question for Ohio State and they seemed to have answered it. Again, I do think other things make it easier for Ohio State to run IZ, but M's interior line has been meh. They need to get much better for the PSU/ND/Sparty stretch. And it has to start this week. If they're fucking around at 5 or less ypc this week then I don't know what to say.

Comment

• Teams M should crush in the run game and just not have to pass at all, were able to keep it in check for the most part. That's telling and might lessen the impact on the calculus of the QB and OL variables - obviously not completely, it's certainly still in play.
                Yeah, so the Wisconsin game was debacle, but the Army game may have been even worse from an offensive standpoint. Army is NOT a good defensive team. They just aren't. But they stifled M's run game all day. Tulane just ran for 325 against Army. Tulane. They were so bad against Army that they essentially abandoned the run game against Wisconsin. And after watching the last two games I'm pretty much at the point that it is what it is. They're going to (a) have to figure out how to make it work or (b) coach around it. And I think it's far more likely to be (b).

Just speaking from experience, the Ohio State run game was sketchy last year against lesser teams and then it got generally whipped by better teams. I just never came around. Whatever the reasons for lack of production, they were systemic, not fixable.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• That sounds about right. nFw is a legit 1-4 team. MSU beat them by 21. Hell UNL beat them.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You've never had to watch your brave warriors play in Serengeti grasslands. Speed will be completely negated. Might as well play in a bayou.

Comment

• Heh ...... M used to go into Evanston and both Schembechler and Carr complained about the grass not getting cut. But, it's true. The grounds keepers didn't used to cut it and of course, it was only when M came to town that there were complaints about that.

Ryan Field (Formerly Dyche Stadiium where I used to go for the fireworks shows on the 4th) still is one of the few fields that have natural grass - it is definitely slower and wearing the wrong cleats will cost you an ankle injury.
                        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• If the long grass slows OSU down, it will also slow the Cats down. They play the game on the same field.

You don't want to be slow against osu.

Easy cover.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• EHC4EbaX4AEMP3Y?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Comment

• Thinking of nFw, it still fucking irritates the shit out of me that Ohio State lost to them during my lifetime. Fucking Justin Zwick. I guess the upside is that 2004 the transition year to better things, but fuck me, the transition didn't have to suck out loud.

So, the last time Ohio State lost to each B10 Team and the last time they lost to that team in Columbus:

Illinois: 2007 and 2007 (fucking got Zooked by Juice Williams)
                              Indiana: 1988 and 1987 (The Bruce-Cooper transition meets Anthony Thompson/Trent Green. Only two losses to IU since 1951)
                              Iowa: 2017 and 1991 (I was at the 1991 game. Travesty.)
                              Maryland. NEVER. LOL.
                              Michigan: 2011 and 2000. (I was also at the freezing ass 2000 debacle. I wish I knew then that better days were ahead)
                              Michigan State: 2015 and 2015. (Has to UFM's worst coached game of his career)
                              Minnesota: 2000 and 2000. (Ron Johnson was somehow unstoppable. Have to go back to 1981 for the last win before this)
                              Nebraska: 2011 and Never. (Yes, Bausermann)
                              nFw: 2004 and 1971 (disgraceful)
                              Penn State: 2016 and 2011 (probably the most competitive rivalry over the past 10 years)
                              Purdue: 2018 and 1988 (It's mostly a W. Lafayette thing. OSU eked out wins against far better teams at home (1999 and 2003) -- but Cooper's first year, like the Year of Fickell, was a disaster)
                              Rutgers: LOL
                              Wisconsin: 2010 and 2004 (2004 claims another victim. The 2010 loss was endlessly frustrating. Fucking John Clay. What a horseshit game.)
                              Last edited by iam416; October 18, 2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• I am excited about the game tonight. Get to watch a full game of the soon to be NC Buckeyes.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X