Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to listening to the MGO podcast on Monday. Brian (and the rest of his yes men) were pretty much in agreement that Ryan Day was a desperate (and bad) hire and that Justin Fields can't read defenses. I certainly get their unbridled, largely unexamined enthusiams for GATTIS!!! and Don Brown and Shea and the WRs -- that's comfortable homerism. But, man, to so brazenly dismiss Day and Fields seemed imprudent to me.

I suppose he could still be correct. Ohio State has played no one. They have two tough games coming up (a pain in the ass offense/road night game + a hellacious defense). Those games should answer a lot of questions, at least independently. And then, eventually, they'll play a team with a really good offense and really good defense and really good coach, and that will be the ultimate test (if they survive the next 2).

But, man, I just couldn't believe they were talking so much shit about Ohio State.
    That podcast will be shitty and insufferable, most likely. They will smugly condemn anyone calling for Harbaugh's head. That's their MO. That site has really gone downhill since Brian decided to dedicate half of the work to his shitty staff.

Comment

• They would have been wise to listen to me on Ryan Day. There's a good chance that Day might be an improvement on Meyer. Meyer is one of the best coaches, but I think he has a shell life at jobs. In other words USC year 1 Meyer is a more effective coach than year 8 Meyer at OSU.

But Brian Cook, seldom right never in doubt.

Comment

• Neither here nor there, but the next four games could all end up being night games, depending on what they do with Wisconsin.
        Well, the next 3 are night games and only Wisky is in undecided, so, yeah, I'd say that "could" happen. I'm not looking forward to playing at shitty Evanston at night at all, but at least it's Friday. My Saturday will be unencumbered.

They will smugly condemn anyone calling for Harbaugh's head.
        That's going to start to dissipate a little, but, yes...with the retort -- "Who can get that's better?"

They would have been wise to listen to me on Ryan Day. There's a good chance that Day might be an improvement on Meyer. Meyer is one of the best coaches, but I think he has a shell life at jobs. In other words USC year 1 Meyer is a more effective coach than year 8 Meyer at OSU.

But Brian Cook, seldom right never in doubt.
        I think this is pretty much entirely right. Well, certainly the part about Brian. LOL.

Jury is still out on Day, but he's certainly giving me cause for optimism. As for as UFM, I think the thing that makes him so successful is that his strengths are entirely transferable. It's not his offense or defense, it's his organization (it's fucking insane), it's his motivational skills and it's his recruiting (one of the all-time best). That shit works everywhere. I think his offense is actually stale. I think his abdication of his defense to Schiano was horrific. But the dude was still a recruiting machine and still had the program running really well despite all the bullshit nonsense from last year.

He has likea 3" binder on how to run a program he brings with him to every new job. He has a very clear idea of what he wants and how to get there. He'd (he'll) restore USC to Carroll levels in 2-3 years max.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• All Don Brown has to do is "fully weaponize" Uche and it's problem solved on defense!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

That's going to start to dissipate a little, but, yes...with the retort -- "Who can get that's better?"

It's not going to dissipate. At least not on mgoblog's pocasts. Not yet

There is a decent list of guys that could do better. Nobody with anywhere close to the resume that Harbaugh had when he came in, but doing way way better in their current jobs than what Harbaugh is doing in his. Jeff Brohm, Matt Campbell, and Mark Stoops come to mind. Definitely not slam dunks but I'd take them in a heartbeat. I'd take Paul Chryst in a heartbeat too, but I doubt he would come. I think that I'd take Pat Fitzgerald too, even though I don't love the guy. We won't find our Nick Saban, but maybe we can find out Mark Dantonio. Hell, I think that I'd give Fecal a shot! Even though I think he's a dumbass, he can definitely recruit and motivate his guys. Plus, "who is the only head coach to lose the UM-OSU rivalry on both sides?" would be a cool trivia question.

Comment

• Ohio State has scored 36 TDs and given up 43 points (to be fair, 2 were on a safety). 22 of those points were pure garbage time points. The 2nd string DL looks not good and I fear a huge dropoff next season. But, that's next season.

Ohio State made it to base camp on schedule. Last night they faced their first test -- to see if they could stop UNL's spread offense (UNL's defense is pitiful). They passed and have begun their ascent. Still, though, they have a long, long way to go.

This week they will get tested with a stellar defense and a sneaky good offense. Obviously, we're going to see if they can run the ball against a team with a legitimate defense, and we'll sure see how Fields responds to getting bludgeoned. On the other side, I think the real test is Cody White and Stewart -- those are two really good players. In combination with a respectable running game, those threats promise to give Ohio State fits.

The following game is a Friday night game at nFw which will test their mental fortitude. Playing nFw on the high grass of Evanston High Field is excruciating. It'll call for patience and mental discipline. Finally, the game after that is the mid-term against Wisconsin and will test everything. After that game, I think I'll have a decent idea of where they stand and whether or not CRD can march into AA and somehow steal a win against HARBAUGH!!!!, GATTIS!!!! and the Genius of Brown.

Comment

• Calling the Spartan offense sneaky good is a sandbag that would make Alabama Alum blush.

Comment

• Incorrect. It IS sneaky good and AlabamAlum is shameless.

Comment

• I reiterate -- what Greg Schiano did to Ohio State last season is felonious. I'm talking hard jail time. And that's also on UFM. The amount of talent on that defense is stupid. Stupid. Mattison/Hafley/Washington -- they'll get credit, but mere competence would be a ginormous leap. I do firmly believe that UNL is a pretty good offense. I do think they have some playmakers. I would have been really happy holding them to 20.

It would also appear that blocking Chase Young 1v1 is a moderately difficult ask. Thank god UFM and LJS beat out The Nick for him (and Okudah for that matter).

Comment

• Only if sneaky good is a synonym for turgid.

Comment

• Buckeyes play Purdue this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                          Buckeyes play Purdue this year?
                          No. Nebraska, northwestern, and Wisconsin from the West

Comment

• Very lucky break. Regardless, the house of cards is soon to come tumbling down.

Comment

• Sparty twitter keeps showing that idiot kicker windmilling and how did Reece Davis get so old?

Comment

• Open at 17 1/2-point favorite

Comment

Working...
                                X