Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too bad none of them will play until 2021 at the earliest.
    Well, there class of '21, so that was the case anyway.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I would be shocked if we see anything more than games in empty stadiums.

I think that there's maybe a 50/50 shot at the "empty stadiums" thing.

Comment

• You could, in theory, "social distance" at the stadiums -- sell every 5th seat or something. Make sure parents and family can watch. It'd be better than zero fans. They could also start off at zero or few and see where things stand periodically.

I don't think it's going to happen, but there are potential routes to salvage something.

Comment

• I propose instead that all of youse just STFU
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I second Wiz's proposal.

Honestly, the best scenario that I see right now for CFB is that the season could start on time, with no spectators, as long as there is a way to test every player, coach, official, and game administration at least twice a week with rapid (<less than 24 hour) results. That way, all participants could be tested the day before a game, and then midweek before a game. Start with that, and then if there is a TREMENDOUS downward spike in new cases, start allowing limited spectator seating in mid to late October, and go from there.

Other than that, I think the season is toast, as far as the fall is concerned. Kirk Herbstreit says he feels a spring season is a real possibility, but I don't know how that would work, especially the further north a school is located. February games in Minnesota? I doubt it.

Now as for the NFL, I think they're going to do everything possible to play. Even if it means playing games in empty stadiums, in neutral locations. For instance, I don't see any way that stadiums like Ford Field, Giants Stadium and other Covid hot spot areas will be cleared to have 70-80K fans gather for a game. But, I could see them having the Lions play their "home" game vs the Bears in Indianapolis, or something like that. I believe the NFL is going to play some kind of season, no matter what.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Empty stadium? I think, as talent points out, there are paths ......

The Freep had an article on the financial straights that M is in over COVID. They tossed out some numbers that I think are representative of both public, and probably to a greater degree, private universities and colleges are in. They are all bleeding cash.

The M statement was very clear that it's not touching endowments to pay for operating expenses including salaries. Executives are taking pay cuts of 5-10%, and those will escalate as conditions demand. Lay-offs and furloughs are probably going to happen. I've seen nothing from Harbaugh or the U on pay-cuts for him or his staff. I have no doubt they are on the table.

I also have no doubt that if games were to be played at some time in what would be a truncated 2020 CFB season that tickets would sell. From the U's perspective its a fucking revenue stream that they will absolutely try to optimize. That goes for B-Ball too. I'm sure osu would also optimize these revenue streams as well as the rest of BT.

The only thing standing in the way of moving in that direction would be (1) potential outrage by various U hand-wringers and (2) state PHS and CDC dictums about gatherings of this size even if they were to be restricted in size and by distancing.

I believe that by late September/early October, we're going to know what the cost of reopening schemes have been. More to the point, have the naysayers been quieted by factual outcomes. TBC, I'm fine if the facts point to a fact based reality that reopening is too costly and unmanageable. In the former case,we'll also know a lot more about SARS-COV-2 treatments, what mitigation (masks, distancing, % compliance rates) and containment steps (quarantines out of targeted, hot spot testing for example) work or don't work, etc.

I'll be overjoyed if football can be played at some level at any time this fall. I'd probably go to a game or two under the right circumstances.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 21, 2020, 02:21 PM.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Ohio State now with the most first rounders of any school ever. And first school to have a defensive player go top 5 in three straight drafts.

Comment

• Yes, but, sadly, we'll never know what it's like to win clean.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Respected periodical nails Alabama. Not since the 1919 World Series fix has there been a sports story so shocking. BUSTED!

Comment

• That libelous yellow journalism was punished appropriately.
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• So they have always cheated?

Shocking.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Just win, baby.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• correct

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X