Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M's 19, 20 and 21 classes are completely sustainable -- it's pretty much exactly how M recruits. Fair amount of depth, but not elite classes. You need to stack those up and eventually add elite talent. For example, I think the 2020 class has a ton of 4* kids, but no top 100 players (Henning, I think was close). So, that's good, but that's not going be elite. It's good enough to beat poorly coached elite talent like Ohio State, It's probably not good enough to beat well-coached elite talent. I guess we'll find out.

I would think that M is in for drop-off in 2023. Like a big one. But, I guess McCarthy and Edwards could paper over a lot of that.

As for 2022, they should be preseason #1 and they play, perhaps, the easiest schedule in the history of M football. I will be completely flabbergasted if they're not 11-0 when they come into beat the fuck of CRD's not tough team and I'd be fairly surprised if any of those 11 wins are closer than two scores.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• 2022 Schedule

9/3 Colorado State TBA / TBA -/- Ann Arbor, MI 0-0 -
      9/10 Hawaii TBA / TBA -/- Ann Arbor, MI 0-0 -
      9/17 Connecticut TBA / TBA -/- Ann Arbor, MI 0-0 -
      9/24 MARYLAND TBA / TBA -/- Ann Arbor, MI 0-0 -
      10/1 @ IOWA TBA / TBA -/- Iowa City, IA 0-0 -
      10/8 PENN STATE TBA / TBA -/- Ann Arbor, MI 0-0 -
      10/15 NEBRASKA TBA / TBA -/- Ann Arbor, MI 0-0 -
      10/22 @ MICHIGAN STATE TBA / TBA -/- East Lansing, MI 0-0 -
      10/29 ILLINOIS TBA / TBA -/- Ann Arbor, MI 0-0 -
      11/12 INDIANA TBA / TBA -/- Ann Arbor, MI 0-0 -
      11/19 @ RUTGERS TBA / TBA -/- Piscataway, NJ 0-0 -
      11/26 @ OHIO STATE TBA / TBA -/- Columbus, OH 0-0 -

I don't want to get too much of a head start on sandbagging .. er .. predictions for next season, .. but even though I see the possibility of an undefeated September, I also see a real possibility of being Kinnicked on October 1st. Penn State with its 6th year pro quarterback will follow that.

MSU and OSU are on the road.

I don't see an undefeated season there. I'll say 8-9 wins are within striking range, depending on the development of the new people on defense.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• M's 19, 20 and 21 classes are completely sustainable.......
        This depends on Harbaugh being able to maintain the continuity of his coaching staff. It may not be possible to keep the likes of Gattis and MacDonald among others that seemed to work extremely well together to obtain this season's results. However, he needs to be able to attract top young coaching minds to replace these guys.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Yeah, I think we better enjoy MacDonald while we have him. I think we'll get to keep him one more year, but if he has a good year in '22, somebody is going to snatch him away. Gattis will not be far behind if the offense continues to improve.

If I could pick two assistants that M would be guaranteed to keep, I'd pick McDonald and Mike Hart. Those guys have a bright future as coaches.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Next year's MSU game has been moved back to Ann Arbor. A revised Big Ten schedule will be announced after the season. The 2022 schedule is about as favorable as it gets. It'll be interesting which road game we pick up in place of Sparty.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...or/6221401001/

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              M's 19, 20 and 21 classes are completely sustainable -- it's pretty much exactly how M recruits. Fair amount of depth, but not elite classes. You need to stack those up and eventually add elite talent. For example, I think the 2020 class has a ton of 4* kids, but no top 100 players (Henning, I think was close). So, that's good, but that's not going be elite. It's good enough to beat poorly coached elite talent like Ohio State, It's probably not good enough to beat well-coached elite talent. I guess we'll find out.

I would think that M is in for drop-off in 2023. Like a big one. But, I guess McCarthy and Edwards could paper over a lot of that.

As for 2022, they should be preseason #1 and they play, perhaps, the easiest schedule in the history of M football. I will be completely flabbergasted if they're not 11-0 when they come into beat the fuck of CRD's not tough team and I'd be fairly surprised if any of those 11 wins are closer than two scores.
              Depends on who we lose that is eligible to stay. We have no up and coming playmakers in the defensive front 7, other than maybe Colson, who TBH is kind of just OK at this point. But there is at least competence at most spots, which should get us to 9 wins.

'19, '20, '21, and '22 classes have been fairly steady. Good depth, not a lot of high end talent.
              Last edited by Hannibal; December 12, 2021, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

This depends on Harbaugh being able to maintain the continuity of his coaching staff. It may not be possible to keep the likes of Gattis and MacDonald among others that seemed to work extremely well together to obtain this season's results. However, he needs to be able to attract top young coaching minds to replace these guys.
                The 19-21 classes were under a different staff and recruited when M was garbage. There is no “depends” when it comes to M recruiting in the 10-15 range, which is all those classes are. Bare competence achieves that.

Comment

• I think 10 wins is the floor with that schedule next year. 8 home games and zero non-conference competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Next year's MSU game has been moved back to Ann Arbor. A revised Big Ten schedule will be announced after the season. The 2022 schedule is about as favorable as it gets. It'll be interesting which road game we pick up in place of Sparty.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...or/6221401001/
                    Once again, a voice of reason

Comment

I think 10 wins is the floor with that schedule next year. 8 home games and zero non-conference competition.
                      I wouldn't call it the floor, since we'll have one game where we are a decisive underdog, two 50/50 contests, and then about three our four more games where we can lose if we drop a dookie big enough.

Comment

• That schedule is poop for a B1G East schedule. M's talent should be really good even after a little attrition. Ohio State should be back to being dominant, haven't look at who graduates for everyone else (way too early) but I suspect Penn State & Sparty won't be easy games. I wouldn't be afraid of the Hawkeyes even at Kinnick.

The '19 - '21 classes are exactly what M needs, good mix of blue chip talent (top 350 overall types) and some high upside 3-star types. Sometimes those 3-stars are Ronnie Bell, Hassan Haskins, Kwity Paye. '22 class is IMO missing the depth of blue chip talent (about top 350 overall); that blue chip talent are your likely starters and guys who could develop into All B1G talents.

Comment

Next year's MSU game has been moved back to Ann Arbor. A revised Big Ten schedule will be announced after the season. The 2022 schedule is about as favorable as it gets. It'll be interesting which road game we pick up in place of Sparty.
                          It would probably be the Hoosiers - since they were in A2 this year. Bloomington will make for a nice road trip. Not at all intimidating. With Sparty and Penn State coming to town that about as straightforward route as you could ask for before heading into the Snakepit.
                          Last edited by Tom W; December 12, 2021, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Exactly. The Game should determine the Big Ten Champion once again.

Comment

• Only if Ohio State somehow manages to avoid losing 2 conference games prior to HARBAUGH!!! and GATTIS!!!! pummeling the fuck out of them.

Comment

• FGb_bzGX0AoO_5J?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X