Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamie's a good guy, OP. He's attended Doug's tailgate before and he's a pretty personable guy. You might find him easy to fire up, but some people are a little more tender than others when you poke them. Its amazing how differences become non-existant once people meet face to face.

As to how some schmuckeyes act/troll around here, so what? If being a douchebag wasn't an inherent part of their nature, we'd have to change the title of this thread. I enjoy seeing them standing there pissing into the wind, then turning around with their leg wet, bragging about their 'debating' skills.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
      Idiocy, if that's how it is here, is a form of mental retardation. That's the clinical terminology. So idiot should be out of bounds too. We should also, to be consistent, be offended at ``moron'' and ``imbecile''.

I think that you're right, but I suspect this fits into the discussion somewhere/somehow:

I think the point of the article is that connotations of some words are offensive to "classes" people. I think "retard" happens to be one of those words. While some of the others words you mention i.e. "idiot" perhaps share the same denotation as "retard" the cultural and historical connotation that the word(s) have come to represent is quite different.

I suspect that in today's world, the connotation/denotation concept, may be perhaps over-anayized to the point it's not safe to use words. Whether "retard" fits into that discussion is in the "eye of the beholder." Still, I think the U-Tube link posted by Tony G is thought provoking with respect use of the English language and particularly with respect to descriptions of Ohio heathens who are, in fact, simply idiots.

Comment

• Whatever the standard is, it should be consistent and apply equally. I'm sorry if some smack in a rivals thread offended anybody, but it seems arbitrary and random to object to what went on yesterday, given the bigger picture.

Comment

• Talent's been relatively tame. His current sass sucks compared to what he's capable of. I've already pointed that out. Weak sauce. This thread is exactly what it's meant to be .... a place to hammer osu. If you don't like the back talk from the hammerees, stay out.

I'm not wading into the use of the word retard debate.

Moving on ...... As I pointed out up thread, APR is a notoriously poor measure of a program's capacity to help athletes meet the school's academic performance requirement and graduate football players. It was developed by the imbeciles within the NCAA as a subjective measure of a school's ability to make sure athletes actually were going to school.

talent, even you have advocated for eliminating the charade that is the student athlete. While I disagree with that position, measuring whether an athlete is actually a student, especially, in the collective manner the NCAA wants to do it with APR is just nutz. I actually think you'd agree with me on this. The APR is a very weak measure for its intended purpose mainly because it includes so many ridiculous variables that have little bearing on the individual athlete's academic progress. Frankly, if the athlete maintains good academic standing with the univeristy, that should be enough. Why the NCAA had to invent the APR just speaks to their utter ueslessness .... as if we needed more evidence of that.

So, to tout osu's APR as some sort of leading indicator of your school's academic excellence when it comes to athletes and as it pertains to comparing it with NW, Vandy, etc. still seems pretty silly and meaningless to me.
          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; June 21, 2012, 01:48 PM.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Talent just wanted to use that to stir up shit here. He wanted to get a rise. It wasn't really working until suddenly a word was deemed objectionable and now he has something real to mock.

Comment

• Well, if that's the case he got what he wanted .... no serious discussion about how stupid his statement about APR was, how utterly useless and disruptive that figure is and a bunch of posters wearing the hurt bag.

I guess he's right ..... he can light a fire here any time he wants.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• As long as we can contain the Ohio discussion in here, I'm okay with quite a bit till we get into offensive/personal attacks. Everybody here should know what this discussion is for, trash talk from Ohio fans about the University of Michigan, the leaders and the best and that community college in Columbus.

Comment

• "The Golden Era" of this Forum reigned from 2003 to 2006 IMHO. It was kill or be killed in most threads, solid sports commentary mixed with wicked smack...I distinctly remember Talent was the first blogger I told to go "F" himself back in 2003, good times.

Liney was the moderator on patrol at the time, Talent proactively apologized in to Liney, acknowledged that he was a guest here and promised not to "pimp" me too badly in retort.

Sadly now Metro banter rules the day on occasion.
                  Last edited by Optimus Prime; June 21, 2012, 01:38 PM.
                  ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I haven't banned anyone, be they friend or foe, and I have no intention of doing so.

My approach is that I don't say anything here that I would not say to you, directly to your face. I have found that approach useful, because I have had the pleasure of meeting many of you. When we've met, I've been thankful that I never crossed a line that got into being personal. My wish is that we'd all do the same here, but I know that discussions sometimes get heated (even amongst friends), and sometimes, things get a bit out of control.

All I ask is that we continue to work together to make this forum a cut above others, and display some civility in what we say. I'm not going to create a list of objectionable words, or any nonsense like that. We're all adults, we all know what we're doing.

That being said, .. ohio still sucks ... and rewards cheating ...
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Yes. But let's not forget that in no way can or should they be characterized using any terminologies implying cognitive abilities exceptional on either end of any spectrum. Or bodies of water. Some of us have very good friends forced to live in cesspools.

Comment

• You won't ban me liney? Cool.

Can I say something about Mrs. Liney and me with no reprisals???
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• wiz.. don't you have enough daughters?
                          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Liney married one of Wiz' daughters? No wonder those two are always making eyes at each other here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
                              Frankly Jamie is a diva or drama queen.
                              I know that is right.
                              Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                                I guess he's right ..... he can light a fire here any time he wants.
                                Or so he wants us to think. But he sure as hell spends WAY too much time gathering wood. It is fun to sit back, drink in hand, and every so often, you toss a lit match in his direction just to see the fool act as if he's got some sort magic powers- like he's an Evil Harry Potter or something.
                                Last edited by Tom W; June 21, 2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X