Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next to OP's statement of love for "Mr. Brandon", this may be my favorite:

Unclear that Brandon wanted Hoke, which is interesting. Now that we see him, it's obvious what a great candidate he was. I mean, when you have a guy like LC, who didn't have much of a coaching tree to start, you're not going to be prone to trusting what him and his supporters want. Is it even clear that LC wanted Hoke to succeed him, vis-a-vis someone like Debord, English, etc? So given that situation, once Hoke emerged in this recent coaching search the rational thing to do was to be skeptical of what that crowd wanted. Hoke totally looked like a nepotism hire, but it turns out that the guy is that rare creature who is as good as the praise he gets from his inner circle of supporters.

I don't blame any outsiders, such as the lot of us here, for not being familiar enough with Hoke to understand this. We lacked the information to do so. Brandon, on the other hand -- maybe he just wasn't around the program enough during Hoke's time here to see it. That seems reasonable. But Brandon's strength is marketing, and his priority was to go into the new-coach press conference with a guy he could call his #1 choice. We can all put 2 and 2 together and see that Hoke wasn't the first option, but because the process valued secrecy above all else we don't know if he was second or third or ninth.

Either way, what luck! Brandon made a nepotism hire via a process not much better than the previous disastrous one, and it turned out to be just the thing the program needed. Better to be lucky than good in life, right?
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      Are you confused by "not in the FF"? Oh, shit, I get it -- last season was the season the regular season and even BTT meant something.
      So you're saying that a loss to a weak in-state rival that then mocks your school's name is the same as being seconds away from consecutive Final Four appearances? That's equivalent to you?

But hey if you wanna talk about the regular season I can do that. Michigan romped through it. Made up for some rivalry frustrations in 2013 and erased all but a few of my remaining doubts and discomforts with Beilein's approach. You know that my own sense of how basketball should be played is closer to Matta then to Beilein, but there are no style points. We romped. The only downside to conference play was that we only got to beat you once. So I'm looking forward to playing twice this year.

Comment

• Hack, I've seen your prescience on display. Do you still think it was "obvious what a great candidate [Hoke] was" or that Hoke "is that rare creature who is as good as the praise he gets from his inner circle of supporters"?

I reckon I could go dig up shit from you about how the regular season didn't matter two season ago when OSU was better in the B10 and BTT than M, but Trey Burke dragged M to a beating from Louisville. I reckon I could ask why a regular season win matters so much to you, but I learned long ago that consistency is too much to ask from M boys.

I guess I could also dig up quotes from you from two seasons ago about how M was going to throttle OSU in hoops -- man, M was brilliant to start that season and the confidence was never higher. So, eh, I've seen this song and dance.

Comment

• ``is that rare creature who is as good as the praise he gets from his inner circle of supporters''

I think that quote acquits me somewhat well in a relative sense. I was disappointed by the hire and felt like he could win 8-9 games but didn't want to send this guy up against your slimeball program or some others that are also competent. I definitely admit I was quite charmed by 2011, and during that year there were both warning signs but given such a turnaround in particular on defense that you had to wonder if maybe the blind squirrel had actually found his nut, which that quote refers to. I'm not one of the ones here that obsessively fishes out quotes from the past that make themselves look good, but I'm sure a glance back at the '12 post-ND threads will show me as a member of the early-warning system here sounding the alarm about Borges.

As for hoops, I am nothing if not consistent -- it wasn't me that brought up conference play. You did, so I responded. It was a stupid idea on your part given the material I've got to work with here.

Comment

• Jesus who has the time or the desire to go back through years of posting to repost them now. Get a life Talent! I've always wondered why Strangelove and Talent continue to post here when all other OSU posters have moved on. Oscar Meyer hasn't done shit so far. Oh..wait.. he had a "undefeatd season" that won him a divisional title. WOW!!!!!!!

Comment

• Capital work today, Talent. Oh those optimistic days of late 2011!!

Comment

• Talent and Strangelove--two guys with their heads shoved so far up their asses they think a fart is a warm summer breeze.

Comment

• This is as contemporary as it gets, Talent is much like a Dung Beetle, content to dabble in shit neck deep, all day long.
                  Last edited by Optimus Prime; October 11, 2014, 12:29 PM.
                  ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• lmao ... well played, OP ..
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      Capital work today, Talent. Oh those optimistic days of late 2011!!
                      I agree. My favorite part was how he kept going on basketball, instead of keeping the discussion tightly focused on football. That part was really great.

Comment

• Thanks, Strangelove. Shooting fish in a barrel. You can click on almost any page of this thread from Nov 2011 thru 2012 and find absolute gems.

Though, not all are as outstanding as OP's unqualified endorsement of "Mr. Brandon"!

Comment

• weak

Comment

• Doctoring antiquated posts, really Talent? Your time would be better spent walking the Poodle.

Liney, if he gives you anymore shit, hit him with this.

I'm certain they make some crap for poodles too.
                            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• LOL ... thanks OP.

Mr. Talent ESQ is harmless. One of these days we'll have to figure a way to get Mrs. Talent rolling with us, to make his home life a bit more miserable. She's a Michigan fan, you know ...

Comment

• I've had Mrs. Talent...believe me she's nothing you wanna hang around...think Mrs. Tasmanian Devil...
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X