The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
    The more things change, the more they stay the same. Enjoy the games. Root for your teams. But it's all gonna be a bunch of chaotic nonsense from now until Selection Sunday when the same teams rise from the trash heap of CFB 2021.
    The great thing about CFB is that it's divided in distinct, monthly, acts. Act I (September) is just for entertainment. ACT II (October) is the setup. ACT III (November) is where the REAL battles happen. I guess the CCGs and bowls are pretty interesting too, but I usually lose interest after Michigan disintegrates in November.

Comment

• shaddup
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The Top Ten(more like the Top Eight and a whole lot of mess)

1. Alabama.
        Well, we got our popcorn ready, but it didn't take long to figure out that Ole Miss wasn't ready on either side of the ball to challenge the champs. The Rebels may have salvaged some dignity in the second half, which is more than Arkansas managed against Georgia, but this game served merely to demonstrate the gulf between the top two in the SEC and, well, just about everybody else. Next up: a Texas A&M team that doesn't figure to have as much of a chance as Ole Miss did.

2. Georgia. The most frightening beatdown of the three big games last Saturday took place between the hedges, as Georgia's defense absolutely mauled Arkansas. Georgia's now #1 in total defense, #1 in scoring defense, #1 in pass defense, and #1 in pass efficiency defense. They've only allowed five drives to reach the red zone all year, and they've given up a total of nine points on those drives. This could be an all-time defense, and it revolves around #99, Jordan Davis. If Ndamukong Suh couldn't win the Heisman in 2009, it's unlikely any defensive lineman ever will, and Davis doesn't put up a lot of numbers. But watch the games, and it's difficult to imagine somebody playing nose tackle much better.

3. Iowa. This was the tough spot this week, but I've got to go with the Hawkeyes here, as they laughed at the notion of a trap game and beat Maryland from pillar to post. This was the Hawkeyes' most complete performance of the season, and it came at a very opportune time, as they welcome Penn State for this week's game of the week. I doubt Iowa will force seven turnovers this week, but it's tough betting against them getting a couple, at least, and that should be enough. Prediction: Iowa 16, Penn State 13.

4. Oklahoma. This looked more like a recent vintage Oklahoma team, in good ways and bad. They moved the ball better than they have against a decent opponent all year, they were stressed by K-State's passing game, but in the end, as they have so far this year, they managed to make a couple more plays. They've almost convinced me, but a win this weekend will do a lot more in that regard. I have to admit, though, that the kiss of death I thought Skip Bayless gave this team by picking them to win the national championship doesn't compare to the one I gave Wisconsin when I called them my playoff dark horse contenders.

5. Penn State. If they manage to pull the upset in Iowa City this week, they'll be no worse than #3 next week, and they'll have earned it. I think they're coming up short in Kinnick, but Penn State's defense is no joke, as Indiana found out. These are the two best scoring defenses in America outside of Athens, Georgia. Iowa leads the nation in turnover margin, while Penn State is #2 in redzone defense. Points figure to be dearly won in this one.

6. Cincinnati. A road win against a top ten team(even a fortunate one like Notre Dame) ordinarily moves a team up here, but the Bearcats will have to wait a week to crack the top five. Their victory in South Bend was about all they could have hoped for, particularly the first half. Now their task is to not slip up against the AAC, starting this week against Temple. I still think this team has a scare coming for them in conference play, but I don't know if the AAC actually has the team that can upset them.

7. Oregon. I thought they'd have a tricky time at Stanford. I didn't foresee them losing a game they had a 99.9% chance of winning with 2:18 left. By rights, they ought to move farther down this list. But, they still have the road win over #8, so this is as far as they fall this week. With their injury situation, though, I don't know that I like their chances of staying here much longer. The bye week came at a good time for them, but they've got a lot of work to do to get back in the playoff race. I think they lose one more.

8. Ohio State. Yeah, this is what I was worried about. The Buckeyes look like a team that's figured out what went wrong early, and with games against #5, #9, #11, and possibly #3 on this list, they're going to get every opportunity to earn their way back into the playoff conversation. They lead the nation in total offense and defensive touchdowns-- they're not consistent defensively yet, but they can kill you with big plays from just about any position on the field.

9. Michigan State. The Spartans have the nation's leading rusher and a top-fifteen passer(in terms of pass efficiency rankings). They're in the top 25 in total offense, they're tied for fifth in the nation in sacks, and they're +5 so far in turnover margin. This is a well-rounded, quality football team, and with Rutgers and Indiana next up, they have a chance to climb the ladder even further before Michigan comes calling on October 30th. The Spartans will have a bye week to prepare for that game, and given their recent history against the Wolverines, I have to believe they're going to be ready.

10. BYU. Statistically, the Cougars aren't that impressive, and I get the argument that they're overrated in this spot. But still, somebody has to be here, and the Cougars have won 16 of their last 17 games, with three Power Five wins so far and the opportunity to get four more (Baylor, Washington State, UVa, and USC). They run that table, they've got a serious case for a Big Six game, at least.

Next Ten: Michigan, Coastal Carolina, Wake Forest, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Auburn, Texas
        Last edited by JRB; October 6, 2021, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• Five quick things:

(1) HARBAUGH!!!!!!! >>>> Mormons. JFC, have some pride. Not even Alabam"Alum"'s sandbaggery is that transparent and shameful.
          (2) Akron and Rutgers can make any team look decent. Ohio State's systemic flaws are still their systemic flaws and will resurface against any decent team. Or Tulsa.
          (3) Brentford > Arsenal
          (4) Your stupid turkeys better drill the Papists
          (5) GFY
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I see Jason is participating in the love sportswriters love affair with PSU and Iowa. One of them gets a L this weekend, and I suspect it may be PSU, even though they may be the better team. I've seen lots of good teams get Kinnicked. PSU will redeem itself with "a major white-out victory" over Michigan. They'll finish with no more than 2 losses. (Iowa, OSU)

MSU will continue to get unwarranted love until they go to Columbus, where they will be introduced to CFB reality.

Bottom line, CFB 2021 version boils down to 2 teams. Georgia and Alabama, .. and I think they'll play each other twice, with Bama winning the one that matters.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• The Gunners will finish ahead of the Bs but the Bs are a hell of lot more fun to watch.

Comment

• Your average colonoscopy is more fun to watch than Arsenal right now.

Comment

• Dour is the word.

Comment

• The ultimate cheapskate shitbird, Mike Ashley, has been replaced with.....the SAUDI ARABIA SOVEREIGN WEALTH FUND!!!!!! Headed up by the motherfucking Crown Prince himself!!!!!!

For the first time in fucking ages there's hope that Tyneside will no longer be the site of spectacularly dull and, well, hopelessly dour play.

Comment

• I heard the news yesterday about Bonesaw buying them, he can provide a lot of incentive for the players to give it their all or face the consequences.

Comment

• #6 Oklahoma (5-0) in big trouble early vs TEXAS.
                        Imagine if you are an Oklahoma fan and went to the snack bar or bathroom to start the game ... to comeback and see your team is down 0-14 THAT fast.

Meme Dis Gonna B Gud GIF
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Happened all the time when I was a Lions fan.

Comment

• This OU-Texas game has been fantastic. Xavier Worthy: 9 catches, 261 yards, 2 TDs for Texas. Sigh...

Comment

• Originally posted by JRB View Post
                              This OU-Texas game has been fantastic. Xavier Worthy: 9 catches, 261 yards, 2 TDs for Texas. Sigh...
                              Neither team plays defense.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Correct. Neither can Ole Miss or Arky.

Comment

Working...
                                X