The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
    That's a surprise to me. When Swiarbrick was talking about picking up a new coach, he said they were going to "take their time" in replacing Kelly.

So much for that.

I wonder if Fickell was even contacted.
    National signing day is December 15. ND has a very good class. Best to not rock the boat just two weeks out. Not the only factor, but could have tipped the decision.

I doubt if Fickell was contacted. I think he would have been a riskier hire than Freemen

Comment

• For the same reasons LSU probably didn't want Kelly to wait until after the playoffs/bowl game. They're in the SEC, they can't afford to wait around until early January before announcing that they've found their coach.

Comment

• I think there are 14 or 15 instances where a P5 champ with 1 or fewer losses made the playoff. It's almost an auto-bid given the 94% success rate.
        I looked it up and there are actually 24 such instances of a P5 conference champion with 1 or fewer losses making the playoff out of 28 total selections.

The 4 outliers are: 2016 Ohio State, 2017 Alabama (both 11-1), 2018 ND (12-0), 2020 ND (10-1).

No two loss team has ever gotten in and I hope it stays that way, unless there is a total chaos scenario where it can't be helped.

IMO, the only slightly controversial selection was OSU jumping TCU in the first playoff in 2014/15. I thought OSU was better and deserved the bid but the committee screwed up by having TCU ahead of OSU in the last poll before the selections were made. They won like 49-0 and got jumped. It's why I think the weekly poll is a bad idea. Just pick the 4 best teams at the end of the season.

Comment

• Alabama would only get in with two losses because they are Alabama. No other team would get that benefit. Not a good look for the committee.
          3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
          10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

I looked it up and there are actually 24 such instances of a P5 conference champion with 1 or fewer losses making the playoff out of 28 total selections.

The 4 outliers are: 2016 Ohio State, 2017 Alabama (both 11-1), 2018 ND (12-0), 2020 ND (10-1).

No two loss team has ever gotten in and I hope it stays that way, unless there is a total chaos scenario where it can't be helped.

IMO, the only slightly controversial selection was OSU jumping TCU in the first playoff in 2014/15. I thought OSU was better and deserved the bid but the committee screwed up by having TCU ahead of OSU in the last poll before the selections were made. They won like 49-0 and got jumped. It's why I think the weekly poll is a bad idea. Just pick the 4 best teams at the end of the season.
            We did jump TCU in that final poll but so did Baylor, who was co-champ of the Big12 that year and had beaten TCU in the regular season. TCU was #3 at one point, ahead of undefeated Florida State, because FSU had been just scraping by teams and TCU was blowing them out.

Comment

• the kid is not my son

Ok look...look...you lost me quoting Mister Neverland...that being said...

...because I'm bad...I'm bad...shemon...shemon...
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanders Fan View Post
                Alabama would only get in with two losses because they are Alabama. No other team would get that benefit. Not a good look for the committee.
                Really interested to see what happens if Bama barely loses to Georgia. You can’t keep Bama as the #3 seed. It would have to be a #1 Georgia vs #4 Bama rematch if anything.

Assuming at least Michigan and Cincinnati win.

I would put 12-1 Oklahoma State over two loss Bama too.

Notre Dame? It’s a tough call……
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Who died and put you on the committee?
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Alabama would get in over Notre Dame because they are better than Notre Dame. That's easy.

Auburn was #2 in the CFP going into the 2017 SEC CG. They were a lock to get in at 11-2 if they had beaten UGA
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Unfortunately for Auburn, they lost that game 28-7 and eventually finished 10-4.

Comment

• Yeah...that's what he mentioned...dipfuck...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          Alabama would get in over Notre Dame because they are better than Notre Dame. That's easy.

Auburn was #2 in the CFP going into the 2017 SEC CG. They were a lock to get in at 11-2 if they had beaten UGA
                          Correct they would have been the one and only team to get in with two losses. Alas, they got their ass kicked, lost their bowl game, and finished 10-4.

Comment

• The Cavaliers have gone 36-38 in Bronco Mendenhall's six seasons. They are 6-6 this season entering their bowl game, which Mendenhall will coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              Also a quick note for Jeffrey Lance Armstrong Buchanan....your beloved Talent has currently put in 11,550 outdoor miles on his Schwinns on his way to, hopefully, the 12,000 goal. That's about 6,000 more than I have on my car this year. So, you know, STFU.

That is all.
                              That is IMPRESSIVE .......I gave up outdoor cycling here in S. FL. In fact, the last time I focused on that was in AZ from 82-85. I was a member of a club that could open road cycle at full tilt for hours and not see but a half dozen cars. Cell phones were non existent. Your risk of being hit was a non-zero probability < 1.0.

My indoor cycling friends who occasionally jump on an indoor cycle to pump out 600 power points in an hour (that equates to about 80 rpm at 280+ watts) have invited me to join them outdoors. The risk of being hit by a motorist doing open road cycling in S FL is just too high for me. I'm too concerned about falling on trails and I don't own and wouldn't buy a bike for that. So, I suffice doing indoor stuff and riding on a spin bike directly behind young females. I choose my bikes carefully for full advantage.

The only riders I can't out power are the 35 yo Europeans who, I have no doubt, have trained in Eastern EU velodromes ........ they turn 115 RPMs and 220-250 watts for a full 40 minutes. That will produce just over 500 power points. Brutal. I'm lucky these days to break 400. That's a good ride. My personal bests are in noon classes that have only ladies to contend with! I will top the leader board there.

I've logged 200+ rides going back to mid 2019 with a significant hiatus during the pandemic. I contracted COVID in a cycle studio, November 2019 - mild symptoms, 5d, quick recovery but it took me 6 months to make a 90% recovery and I've still got some muscle weakness and decreased endurance. But, I'll be 74 in March so, I'm doing OK. Hate not being the top rider in a metered class but age takes a toll. I have to be realistic. Hate that.
                              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Love that you’re still at it. Impressive, man. The overall numbers for me are hard to really grasp for most people. But when I tell them my average day…AVERAGE day is 33 miles and 1:48 on the bike it sort of hits them.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X