Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should say that it means nothing in addition to what is already known -- which is that he is not Andrew Luck. But I don't think that he is on his way out the door or in Harbaugh's doghouse or anything.

Comment

• Ah. Alright. So, you would say it's confirmation. Got it.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I'd say that Peters certainly can't be happy about the news. Patterson wouldn't be added for depth. He isn't going to go somewhere that he isn't pretty much a lock to start. Would Peters compete or pout? Anderson would be a huge get. Been a long time since M had really good play at the safety position. Definitely the weakness of this season's defense.
        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• If I know Harbaugh like I think I know Harbaugh, he did not for one second consider Brandon Peters's feelings on this. He doesn't care. At all.

Comment

• I agree with that, and he shouldn't. No one should assume they have a job. Speight did, and got his feelings hurt when he was sharing snaps in the spring. If this works out, Speight will have done Michigan a favor by taking his ball and going home.
            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• If Ole Miss players leave in the numbers that some think they will, this will end up being a crippling probation. One of the worst in many years.

excellent....
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• If I know Harbaugh like I think I know Harbaugh, he did not for one second consider Brandon Peters's feelings on this. He doesn't care. At all.
                Correct. I doubt there was a time when that was ever the case, but certainly after his first 3 years at M he is feeling the imperative to win, win, win.

However, at some point he's going to have to recruit and develop a QB. Is it McCaffery, now?

Comment

• We really have no idea what we have with Peters yet other than he's likely better than JOK. Not sure why he'd be any factor in taking Patterson. After Peters and ahead of Peters all they have are freshman and incoming freshman, so lil more than nothing. If Patterson goes elsewhere I hope they consider other QB transfer options too...

Been hearing the OL Patterson is likely to flip for awhile. This month will be much busier recruiting than normal with the early signing period on the 20th.

More scholarships are going to open up too, though we might not hear who till closer to signing day.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    Two quick comments.

First, with this "hardship" stuff -- is Patterson living in Toledo? He went to HS in Texas and transferred to IMG. He seems like he's from Toledo in the same way HARBAUGH!!! is. Did his family move back there or something?
                    As I understand it, the basis of the transfer request is that 2016 players were recruited and encouraged to commit under false pretenses, i.e., they were told that any NCAA sanctions coming down as a result of the Freeze (program) behavior/rules violations were not going to be significant.

Most of this comes from public statements made by WR, Van Jefferson's Dad who stated he asked coaching staff on multiple occasions about sanctions and was told they would not affect the program in any significant way and were also told NCAA sanctions were unlikely. The Jefferson's reportedly hired a lawyer and other players joined them, ostensibly the Patterson's but that has never been publicly reported.

So, eligibility to play right away, in this particular circumstance, is being requested under NCAA rules that provide for that when a program improperly recruits a player and can be approved if the player is not involved in the wrong doing, e.g., taking inducements/benefits to commit.

Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    Second, this can't be good news re Peters.
                    Seems like the reading around consensus on this is that Peters won't transfer because he has as good of a chance to play in 2018 as Patterson does. If you look at the video of his play v. Cal I can see why. Patterson reminds me a lot of John O'Korn's style of play - both of them are option type QBs. The difference between the two, it appears, is that Patterson is better at reading the coverage (first thing he has to do) and checking his receivers open or covered and throwing the ball to the guy that is open. He still did some bad O'Korn like stuff in that video throwing INTs after misreading coverage.

JOK tends to not see the coverage well and has his mind made up about where the ball is going at the snap (e.g., the throw to Crawford in the osu game that was wildly off and intercepted).

Peters is working on the same style of play with Pep Hamilton that Speight was - the WCO. The passing tree is much more complex and Peters was being groomed along this line with more emphasis for him on the power run game until he demonstrated skills in the WCO passing tree.

I'm thinking Harbaugh wants both kinds of QBs and will start the guy who runs the style of offense suited to him the best - option v. WCO.
                    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 6, 2017, 09:13 AM.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I think Shea Patterson is much, much better than O'Korn. Of course, I only saw O'Korn a couple of times.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Peters won't transfer because he has as good of a chance to play in 2018 as Patterson does.
                        Yeah, I have a very hard time believing that Patterson will go to any school to be a backup. HARBAUGH!!!! is not telling him "come to M and compete for the job." Or, rather, I'd be stunned.

Comment

• Please stop comparing any QB whose not a high school QB to JOK. Even when he was making the right read (which he rarely did), he was over throwing wide open receivers by ten yards.

Comment

• Anyway, what were JOK and Patterson and Peters QBR?

Comment

• HARBAUGH!!!! is not telling him "come to M and compete for the job."

That's a fair comment. I don't know what Harbaugh's saying, but it probably isn't ``You'll be my starter'' either. It's surely somewhere in between. And I'm sure Peters isn't happy about it at all. He'd much rather have had Speight to compete with no doubt. But the bottom line here is that you need an experienced backup QB, and QBs tent to transfer for playing time. Guys like Peters and McCaffrey know that coming in, esp. with Harbaugh dedicated to taking 2 QBs per class. A guy like that dropping into your lap isn't going to be ignored, clearly.

Still would be more excited about getting Little, or maybe even Anderson. I'm fine to roll with Peters and McCaffrey if Patterson doesn't come. Would be nervous about pass protection though. It's entirely a feelingsball comment but I'm starting to feel like Newsome won't be back. Ever since the news that his surgery went really well, there's been nothing positive and hardly anything at all. So, admittedly, that's a wild guess.
                              Last edited by hack; December 6, 2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                I think Shea Patterson is much, much better than O'Korn. Of course, I only saw O'Korn a couple of times.
                                No question based on his overall resume but O'Korn had a phenomenal year the first year he started at Houston ...... well beyond his three star status coming out of HS.

Now that I think we are seeing what Harbaugh wants to do with his QBs, why Pep Hamilton was brought in for his WCO knowledge and to coach Speight up on that approach, I can see what he was looking for in O'Korn (an option guy). Turns out O'Korn didn't have it ...... he obviously thinks Patterson does. I don't think you can turn a guy like Patterson into a WCO guy; the option game is in his muscle memory and brain right now. Besides, he's got Peters going down that road.

I suppose M could have an offense with two QBs running different passing concepts, just a thought and, IMO, a bad one.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X