Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of course you would, and I would too. But M isn't going to recruit on that level year in/year out. It may have some years where it hits big. But, still -- I'm very encouraged by precisely how the last two years of losses have happened. I'm still angry about them, in particular the '16 nonsense, which was a loss for recruiting as well no doubt, but Harbaugh's done very well with what he's got for now.

Comment

• For all the ability to dominate the media and use his NFL pedigree, Harbaugh has been pretty standard as a recruiter for a Michigan coach. I was preparing for the worst.

Comment

• We'll see what happens when he has some serious wins under his belt, but, yeah. I don't feel like he's pulled some of them out of nowhere. The big wins have come by putting some serious chips on the table, namely hiring Gary's HS coach.

Comment

• M continues to accrue moral victories against OSU.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• OSU continues to accrue amoral victories aginast M.

Comment

• Harbaugh is engaged in an uphill battle in recruiting. MSU has a better 3y record than JH does, so does osu. That's a negative for in-state and mid-western recruiting as is his inability to beat top 10 teams. Instead he loses to them. Then there is the weather, location and admission standards not to mention the potential of coaching turnover because he attracts and hires good assistants who are going to move up and out.

I think JH is a very good coach capable of delivering championships. I wouldn't want any one else but the negatives he's dealing with are substantial. He's got M on a marginally upward trend but it remains to be seen if he can increase the up arrow and start nabbing top 100 recruits and developing sustainability through talent depth. The first step is to start beating top 10 teams.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Plenty of top-100 recruits already here. Gary, Bredeson, Solomon, Hill, Long, DPJ. Just off the top of my head. That's without having developed a QB or beaten those teams. I think there's plenty of recruiting upside to realize here. Would have if not for the ridiculous '16 OSU game, given he would have made the playoff. It's enough of an uphill battle without going against OSU and a bunch of incompetent-at-best refs. But it is what it is. He knew when he took the job that recruiting would be bringing a knife to a gunfight with Michigan already behind and needing to make up ground. Is what it is. He'll develop a QB. He'll have linebackers fast enough to deal with Meyer's spread. He'll start getting some wins agsinst OSU without cheating, which OSU will never get against him. It's going to get better, and you can see why by noting the performance of the team in the last two meetings.

Comment

• A decent QB solves some major problems.
                  Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• I don't know where the blame lies for that, but I'm quite certain it's not on anything to do with HARBAUGH!!!!

BTW, in case anyone forgot, JTB went out of the game in the 2nd half with M WINNING. WINNING. And OSU's redshirt frosh backup led OSU on 4 drives that produced 2 TDs, 1 FG and 1 missed FG -- and none of them were field position drives. And that was against DON BROWN!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      BTW, in case anyone forgot, JTB went out of the game in the 2nd half with M WINNING. WINNING. And OSU's redshirt frosh backup led OSU on 4 drives that produced 2 TDs, 1 FG and 1 missed FG -- and none of them were field position drives. And that was against DON BROWN!
                      Haskins is like your Brandon Peters. Beneficial for the more talented, higher upside player to be in the game. It’d be:
                      Wilton Speight is to JT Barrett
                      as
                      Dwayne Haskins is to Brandon Peters.

As for the other QB... M f***ed up taking in John O’Korn. Nobody wanted O’Korn to play, but he had to given the circumstances. Almost as bad as Nick Sheridan or Russell Bellomy.
                      Last edited by Cody_Russell; December 30, 2017, 08:58 AM.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Yeah, perhaps. The thing is that Speight and Peters seem to be the same QB. Neither is particularly mobile. Both are ideally-sized. Both have big arms. Their comparison is down to decision-making and accuracy which, I presume, M fans believe Peters is better at.

Haskins and JTB aren't the same. Haskins won't run the ball much at all (I'm guessing 5 carries per). Haskins, however, has an NFL arm. Overall, I think the upside is a little more with Haskins, but not by a great deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          ......Haskins and JTB aren't the same. Haskins won't run the ball much at all (I'm guessing 5 carries per). Haskins, however, has an NFL arm. Overall, I think the upside is a little more with Haskins, but not by a great deal.
                          From 10K feet and having seen Haskins play once, ufm seemed to have a whole different offense for him (more PA, some RPO and less RO to IZ). Suspect we'll see more of that in 2018 but I think that was a major factor v. Brown and his boys. The boys didn't react well. My bet is that Brown recognized what was going on when Haskins went in but couldn't get the players to adjust to it - looked to me like M stayed in the typical vanilla C2 Brown plays v. spready teams (in this case with the corners giving a lot - ?zone) and Haskins picked that apart. None of the M DBs play zone very well, IMO.

Also not sure of Brown's pressure metric with Haskins at QB and M leading. I thought the DL did really good early v. jtb but looked tentative with Haskins in there. Scheme or players just hesitant? Don't know, the later is more likely.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                            Harbaugh is engaged in an uphill battle in recruiting. MSU has a better 3y record than JH does, so does osu. That's a negative for in-state and mid-western recruiting as is his inability to beat top 10 teams. Instead he loses to them. Then there is the weather, location and admission standards not to mention the potential of coaching turnover because he attracts and hires good assistants who are going to move up and out.

I think JH is a very good coach capable of delivering championships. I wouldn't want any one else but the negatives he's dealing with are substantial. He's got M on a marginally upward trend but it remains to be seen if he can increase the up arrow and start nabbing top 100 recruits and developing sustainability through talent depth. The first step is to start beating top 10 teams.
                            Why wouldn't he be able to nab top 100 recruits. Maybe I see things through Maize &Blue glasses but isn't UM a big name across the country. Maybe not as much as we think.

I remember when USC was under probation a few years back. They had their recruiting cut down to about 10. They still nabbed 4 5* and the rest high 4's. Now most of that class didn't pan out but a team as hamstrung as the Trojans were still able to get a top 10 class with 10 recruits! That's where a Harbaugh led program should strive for.

Comment

• Originally posted by klondike View Post
                              Why wouldn't he be able to nab top 100 recruits. Maybe I see things through Maize &Blue glasses but isn't UM a big name across the country. Maybe not as much as we think.

I remember when USC was under probation a few years back. They had their recruiting cut down to about 10. They still nabbed 4 5* and the rest high 4's. Now most of that class didn't pan out but a team as hamstrung as the Trojans were still able to get a top 10 class with 10 recruits! That's where a Harbaugh led program should strive for.
                              Are you saying Harbaugh can't land top 100 recruits(they already have 1 or 2 and are in on more)? Do you think Michigan is the same area for recruiting as SoCal?

Comment

• Are you saying Harbaugh can't land top 100 recruits(they already have 1 or 2 and are in on more)? Do you think Michigan is the same area for recruiting as SoCal?
                                Really, then name the 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X