Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, that list is almost a wish list. We're not going to get all those top players. Some, I think, but not all.

When does Fall Practice start? I'm going to be interested in the amount of attrition and who is not there.

Interesting post WB

Comment

• Based on what I have read and heard about college football payola, Gary could command a price tag between $500,000 and $1,000,000 if he wants. Maybe more by the time four years would be done.

Comment

• Well it depends on if he wants to command that. Dunno the kid's financial position. If he's making it a priority he probably wouldn't be considerign Michigan in teh first place, so contact with bagmen might not be the determining factor. It could be a lesser factor or an all-things-equal decisionmaker. Dunno.

Comment

• There is a long list of stud prospects who considered Michigan very late into the process before going Payola.

Comment

• I find it hard to believe that players get THAT much coin from boosters. If that's the case, teams' payrolls would be in the 8 figure range. There's no way 18 year-old kids could always keep quiet about 6 figure paydays. If that really is the case I'd personally tell them to take the money and run!

Comment

• Cam Newton's dad got what -- $150,000? That is probably small compared to what Cam got himself.

Comment

• A lot of players are bought off cheaply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  There is a long list of stud prospects who considered Michigan very late into the process before going Payola.
                  Very true. Reasonable to assume that they are ones for whom getting paid wasn't a primary consideration, but still a factor. I've never been to Auburn and don't know what the appeal is. Maybe Gary likes the town or the people or Chizik or his would-be position coach. Or maybe he's one of those kids for whom the payola (or the engineering faculty) is down on the list but swings him. Hard to tell, but that's my bet. He's been an SEC-or-Michigan story. So, familiar people from his HS days vs payola.

Comment

• Don't take MGoFish seriously, he wears maize and blue colored glasses and is a huge homer. His so-called projections are best case scenarios. He has no inside information and just rehashes information from twitter and the recruiting sites.

Comment

• Hanni has it right. Gary is worth big bucks, probably in the 500k range. But that is not for four years. he'll be in college a maximum of three years.

Cam Newton confirmed $ 175,000, and he brought a national championship. When you see players start the "Southern Tour", my experience is you can just about consider them gone. They would be fools not to take the money. Saban wanting a level playing field is the height of hypocracy. He was a .500 coach in the B10 and then when he went SEC, he suddenly becomes a NC winner at LSU and then at AL. I happen to believe Mark Dantonio is a better coach than Saban, but I digress.

A question to consider: What makes UM worth $ 169 million to Nike over 11 years when Nike's previous high was $ 4.4m/yr to FSU? I've probably got the wrong stinking thread, but does UM recruiting cleanly have a bearing on this? Does Harbaugh? It just has to be more than a rapidly dying alumni base because its size and intensity is not worth double what other schools are getting. I'm just suggesting for this post that UM has a reputation for running a clean program, that that pays.

Comment

• *1. Nike wanted M badly and had to bid against Adidas and Under Armour.

*2. This is year 1 of M's contract, other Nike contracts maybe escalating but using figures several years old.

*3. Recruiting factor is personal preference but being a "Nike" school has advantages in that Nike puts on more recruiting camps than the others and these camps are quite generous in apparel to athletes who receive invitations.

Comment

• It's 125 for 11, but in any event...LMMFAO.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• And kudos to working up the "every recruit M loses out on to an SEC school is bought" angle.

Comment

• They definitely are impressed with the clean program Michigan is running.

Comment

• The most obvious answer to the question is that M benefits from being the most recent contract with Nike. And they have a strong brand name.

As an example, the B10 now has, I think, the lowest Tier 1 TV package of any of the P5 packages. Mostly because it was negotiated 10 years ago. The P12 and ACC and B12 and SEC all have TV contracts that dwarf the $1B for 10 years deal the B10 is wrapping up. The B10's new contract will blow the other 4 out of the water. Timing.

In the apparel game, UA and Adidas have emerged with big-time offers over the past 10 years or so and are driving up the market. Nike has to respond. And they can. Texas, I think, is up soon. They should get something very similar to M. Ohio State is up in 2017 or 2018 -- I'm guessing they'll get something very similar.
                                Last edited by iam416; July 16, 2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X