No announcement yet.

B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The conference pooh-bah's insist that all games will be played, so I guess we'll see. They were sure spot on for football.... lol

Michigan's basketball future is in the hands of Gretch Whitmer. Nobody on State Street even dares to breathe without getting her permission first.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• It's a weird year in that the arguably top three teams, M, Illinois and Iowa, all only play each other once. But point forward Purdue has the easiest schedule, and Matt Painter has a track record of doing well in that scenario. So it still looks like a four- or five-team race to me. Michigan's fucked having Illinois as presumably their first game back, but a two-game cushion on the rest of the league helps. And Illinois has the most talent but can be pretty janky on offense when it's not working, so I'm unwisely holding out hope, because a win in the first game back against the conference's most talented team would be just a huge impact on the conference race. That's a real firm grip on the top spot. A healthy Brooks to at least limit Ayo and maybe we pull that off, but it probably also takes getting Kofi in foul trouble so Dickinson can rampage. Certainly wouldn't expect the shooters to be on that night. I'm sure they are finding a way to get some shots up, somewhere/somehow, but if we're believing all that we're told right now, the only way to do that would be outside.

Overall tho, the key takeaway is that Juwan Howard needs to be the highest-paid coach in the conference. We're gonna be hurt by this, but it's pretty easy to imagine that Juwan's plan to mitigate the damage is a better plan than Warde's original plan to keep the players safe.

Comment

• I'd be less concerned about the team if they were allowed to have at least some sort of practices during this layoff. But, from what I understand, there's been absolutely nothing allowed. I think the 14 day shutdown ends on Friday so they should be back to work on Saturday. They'll need the state (Whitmer) mandated "transition" time to get ready for resuming the season, so that likely means they'll play Illinois next. At least the game will be at Crisler, so if there's any value to a home court advantage, they'll have it.

It could go either way. They could be flat and out of synch, .. or they could come out with guns blazing having been recharged during the layoff. I hope its the latter.

I'd probably hold off on getting Howard more money until we see how the team finishes this year. I'd say get the man signed to a very rich, long-term contract if they get into the Sweet 16 or beyond. He's proven he can recruit. He seems to be making progress on the game day coaching as well. I don't think Howard is looking for reasons to leave, so getting his name on the dotted line should not be a problem.

Comment

• STFU
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Warde's about to fumble away what's possibly Michigan's best basketball team since Juwan was a player. I don't know if they are going to make it to the FF or the S16, but they were just absolutely destroying ranked or Kenpom top-50 teams, game after game. The '13, '14 and '18 teams never got close to that. I only minimally agree on "making progress on game-day stuff". The Xs and Os are friggin brilliant. The in-game rotations were odd last year, and Teske was a bad fit that Juwan didn't handle incredibly well, but those are miniscule complaints when you look at what's been done here. It's early but Juwan is on track to be an elite coach. Superior-to-most basketball mind and wonderful leadership skills. The NBA is going to be hammering at his door nonstop, especially after his kids are through the program. I don't want Warde out there on a hunt for the next Ed Cooley.

Comment

• I think its going to be fairly difficult to pry Howard away from Michigan. He really wanted this job, and he seems to be happy to be here. I know the NBA can throw absolutely insane money at him, and that could tip the scale, but I guess we'll see. Guys like Izzo and Calapari have been offered insane NBA money as well, but they are still in college ball.

Comment

• Michigan should never lose a coach because they are unable or unwilling to pay him enough. I don’t think that will be an issue.

Comment

• This is an NBA guy coaching in college because it's his alma mater. No other reason. He's otherwise an NBA guy. He comes from an organization, the Miami Heat, that is about as well run as a sports organization can be. Extraordinarily focused on the finer details. Now, Howard's boss is Warde Manuel, who heads an organization that can't even follow the basic guidelines. Forget about the finer details and the demanding culture of excellence Howard is accustomed to and thrived in. The upshot is that Howard's contending basketball team might be at risk of losing out on its season, not to mention banners. And Warde to date has been more vocal about the conference bending the rules on behalf of Ohio State's football team than on behalf of the athlete's he's failed to keep safe.

Some of that shit can be made to go away by making him the highest-paid coach in the conference as soon as possible. But not all of it. Howard's a competitive guy and wants to compete.

No fear though, gents -- I'll worry about this on behalf of the whole group. Somebody has to do it.

Comment

• Thank you for taking that round. I don't want to contemplate the basketball program going to shit. I can't. I won't!

Comment

• All good points, Hack. I agree that Howard should get more money, and be among the highest paid coaches in the country. The man is a lights-out recruiter, and he appears to be getting the hang of preparing the guys well for game days. I'd still like to see how he finishes out this year (if they're allowed to play again) but that's just the gun-shy fellow in me that remembers all the bad coaching moves in football, and even in basketball. (Brian Ellerbe anyone?)

No official word yet as to whether the Illinois game will be postponed or not. Rumor is it will be postponed, meaning Michigan will have five games to make up, which may be impossible at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                        just the gun-shy fellow in me that remembers all the bad coaching moves in football, and even in basketball. (Brian Ellerbe anyone?)

That's my concern. If it weren't for Juwan dropping in our laps here, Warde may have reeled in Ed Cooley after all, and we'd be running basketball's version of Mike DeBord's offense. I do not want Warde out there looking for another basketball coach. We got VERY lucky here.

Comment

• Suck it, Garza!
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Thanks.

Comment

• M will win the B10 by virtue of playing a joke schedule. And, I guess, to a lesser extent, being decent.

Ohio State now leads the league in conference wins. Unfortunately, Ohio State still has M left and, of course, Illinois AGAIN and Iowa AGAIN.

Right now, the missed layup at the death in fucking Evanston and the stupid Purdue 3-ball shooting in the final 60s in Columbus are really costing The Holt-Man and his crew.
                              Last edited by iam416; February 5, 2021, 07:45 AM.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Slightly nervous about Maryland being a trap game.

Comment

Working...
                                X