Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hating on the $EC - Mostly Alabama (and a little Georgia too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, he's good. He would have be a great slot WR, but he didn't want that. And, well, he's not as good as Garret Wilson (or Chris Olave). So, UAT's gain. But, WR losses don't concern me one lick. The inability to defend any sem-competent offense does.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Heh. What has he gotten himself into? We play him out of the slot about half the time.

So, how is the DC thing at TOSUC going? I heard he isn’t allowed to call defensive plays anymore. Don’t know if that’s true, though.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Coombs was moved from the sidelines to the box. They gave play-calling duties to Matt Barnes, who is their Secondary Coach and has zero experience doing any of this. Of course, Coombs had zero experience, too. The problem is CRD's doing. First, he insisted on OSU playing a single-high safety, very basic defense. Which works if you have a kickass DL like, say Chase Young, and and a kickass safety like, say, Jordan Fuller and then elite cover CBs. It's fucking rainbows and horseshoes -- and the 2019 defense was lights out (I still think that team gives LSU all they can handle). However, when you don't have those types of players it's a bit of a disaster. So, Second, they changed defenses after the Oregon game went to 2 safeties with way more zone. But, you just don't switch over and in one week it's great shit. So, Tulsa was a fucking disaster of a game. And Third, the Oregon-Tulsa debacles got Coombs "benched" and Barnes got the call. Oh, and I guess the actual First is that he lured Coombs away from the Titans with a promise of being DC even though he's never done that before.

Coombs also hasn't spoken to the media since his benching.

It's a giant clownshow disaster that will turn what should have been a 10-2 transition year into an 8-4 transition year. Also, they lost their best safety for the season.

The upside is that they're starting to play more and more young kids on defense and the disastrous recruiting oi 2018 and 2019 is almost entirely processed out.

It's gruesome shit up here in God's Country, AA, but my alcohol supply is solid and Fall is my favorite season. So, I'll survive...barely. But, your concern is touching.

Comment

• You know I wear a Block O hat on my morning walks. I like traditional teams. M and TOSUC. USC. Fuck Notre Dame, but you get the idea.

Anyway, we have a similar clusterfuck In Tuscaloosa. Our DC is a kid. A Delta State/UTSA guy who is like a deer in headlights. Saban has had a ton of qualified DCs: Muschamp, Kirby, Pruitt, and people like Mel Tucker waiting in the wings, but Pete Golding is a head scratcher. It’s like Saban said “I’ll pick a guy who will never get an offer to be a HC.”
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Yes, but UAT has D1 talent in the secondary and, well, everywhere. They have NFL talent, in fact. Ohio State is running out a buncha hobos who might, if they're lucky, hook on with a practice squad in NFL Bulgaria.

It's a got-damned embarrassment.

Comment

• .........they changed defenses after the Oregon game went to 2 safeties with way more zone.
              I get this problem. What McDonald did for the Rutgers game was play a C3 ,zone concepts back end. Ostensibly he wanted to give Gemon Green, et. al. some work in that D. It was a disaster. First, C3 almost automatically gave the Rutgers offense space, allowing the the one thing Rutgers O did wel - the quick short outs and slants, an advantage on the edges in the passing game and to an extent the run game ..... unless you have LBs like Wisconsin has and uses them correctly like Leonard does.

Second, Green has a tendency to not track the ball well and gets beat because of it. He's plenty fast just not experienced to be good enough on the deep ball. He got picked on by Mertz of all people in that bad 32s of the first half when McDonald decided to abandon press-man and forgot about pressuring the QB. Contributing was Dax blowing coverage on one of those deep balls.

Anyway I can relate with your concerns. Please keep not getting better.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I would have thought one thread would have been enough for you to justify M "only" holding Rutgers to 13 points. But, here we are, again talking about how M went C3 in the 2nd half when, in fact, the real problem in that game was M's 2nd offense.

But, look, man...no one here is saying M isn't a top 3 team and clear favorite to win the B10. I'm certainly not. AA certainly isn't. Well, maybe he's at top 5. We all get it -- M is really, really, REALLY good this season. No one here is wavering on any of this because of some C3 calls in the 2nd half against Rutgers.

Ohio State's defensive problems weren't "trying out new things" they were systemic in every sense -- from scheme to talent to coaching. And they can really only address scheme, so it's not really going to change.

Now, I do think The Wizard would like to hear about the M-Rutgers 2nd half on the UNL thread! Heh.

Comment

• These our our defensive stats with that NFL talent. And we’ve not played a murderer’s row:

-Scoring Defense: 28th
                  -Rush Defense: 31st
                  -Pass Defense: 24th
                  -Total Defense: 17th
                  -Opponent 1st Downs: 30th
                  -Opponent 3rd Down Conversions: 42nd
                  -Opponent 4th Down Conversions: 56th
                  -Opponent Scrimmage Plays >10 yards: 33rd

Comment

• And this is the user pic Pete Golding purposefully chose for his Twitter account (totally going for the Lyle Alzado look)
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I'd kill for those stats. And Lyle Alzado calling plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        These our our defensive stats with that NFL talent. And we’ve not played a murderer’s row:

-Scoring Defense: 28th
                        -Rush Defense: 31st
                        -Pass Defense: 24th
                        -Total Defense: 17th
                        -Opponent 1st Downs: 30th
                        -Opponent 3rd Down Conversions: 42nd
                        -Opponent 4th Down Conversions: 56th
                        -Opponent Scrimmage Plays >10 yards: 33rd
                        These stats are the worst on the Saban tenure at Bama. And that includes 2007. But, hey, we’re undefeated at least until we aren’t anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          I'd kill for those stats. And Lyle Alzado calling plays.
                          I would prefer dead Lyle Alzado over Golding.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

The OLine is coming along nicely. And that’s why he had 171 yards/4TDs. It hasn’t always been this way.

Ole Miss primarily ran a 3-2-6 but they stunted out of that. 2 of the 6 DBs would show zone and shoot the line at the snap. And after we got the big lead they started packing the box because they knew Saban would bleed clock.

I disagree with you completely on BRob. He’s started 4 games (was banged up, so was held out of SoMiss). So, through 4 games: 6 rushing TDs, 73 carries, 379 yards for 5.2 ypc, which. Is consistent with a good back - especially with a rebuilding oline.
                            Bo Scarbrough. That's who comes to mind.
                            Will give Robinson that he is better than Scarbrough, but my point is I don't see him being higher than a 4th RD NFL Draft pick talent. You CAN be a highly productive college RB and not pop out as special. Michigan had a RB, De'Veon Smith, a few years ago that was a really tough and productive RB. Wasn't drafted. I really liked Smith, just wasn't special.
                            This it the nitpick of all nitpicks anyways... The Bama RB being fine and not a stud talent like Najee Harris.
                            Bama is incredible yet again.

Another thought... Metchie was hyped to be the next Jeudy, Waddle, D Smith, or Ruggs. I don't see it yet. Jameson Williams looks better this season.
                            Maybe it's because Metchie draws more attention and the #1 CB on the opposing team. Not sure.
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Cody,

1. We will never agree on Robinson. He is much better than Bo. He is a solid back and imo is better than Damien Harris. He is a great blocker, and a solid runner with over a 5.0 ypc average. There aren’t a ton of first round RBs in most drafts. It depends on the other people in the draft but I expect him to be 2nd or 3rd round at lowest. Anyway, we disagree and won’t agree. You asked for my opinion and I gave it. Time will tell.

2. I don’t think anyone in the know expected Metchie to be “the next Jeudy”. Jeudy was the best technical route runner we have ever had. Metchie is solid, but he isn’t Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, or DeVonta. He has 27 catches, which is more than Jameson, but for a lot lower avg ypc. And yeah, he does get most of the double coverages, but Jameson is right there with him.
                              Last edited by AlabamAlum; October 3, 2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• So, will Kentucky be the next SEC team to leap from the abyss into the top 10 on the strength of one win? Do we need to pretend that the SEC is some sort of super deep league stacked with top 10 teams? Or can we just acknowledge that UAT and Georgia are miles better than anyone else in the country and that the rest of the SEC has some nice solid #10-25 teams plus the State of Tennessee. And South Carolina. And Mizzou.

Comment

Working...
                                X