• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorry, meant booker

Comment

• Booker to UK
      Blackmon to IU

Looney also wound up going to UCLA.

I'm not sure if we'll bank the scholarships or not. The bright side (aside from getting Chatman)is that it's not like Michigan really need a SG next year. Both LeVert and Nik will be back.

Comment

• UM Basketball Recruiting Discussion

Wish the Finals appearance translated to a good recruiting class
        Atlanta, GA

Comment

• It is a good class, just not great. Chatman is a rising top 35 player and DJ Wilson may crack the top 100. There's a chance that Doyle does the same. I still don't see Hatch playing but it would be great if he did.

I'd put it above the level of the Hardaway/Smot class. Technically, it would also rank above the Burke/Brundidge class too.

There's also still a chance they get one of the Aussies (Jonah Bolden, Dante Exum) in March or April.
          Last edited by *JD*; November 1, 2013, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Maybe we'll see it more in the '15 class?

Comment

• You need more than a FF run. VCU and Butler, e.g., aren't landing studs.

Also, for 2015, M has pretty much established where it stands, at least with respect to top-shelf kids. Very few programs can walk in late -- this late -- and win a recruiting battle for a star player. Michigan, like most schools, has to cultivate the relationship. For 2015, they've been recruiting those kids for awhile -- well before the FF.
              Last edited by iam416; November 1, 2013, 10:05 AM.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• That's true.

I think the case with Booker turned out to be that he was seeking the biggest limelight he could find. It was something that worried me probably as far back as last year. From what I read about him he would often make comments about who was "showing him love" and not about how he thought he'd fit into a system or school.

I think UK sold him on the flash as much as it did anything else. They are the shiniest object in the NCAA's and probably will be for some time, unless Cal gets caught doing something illegal while still at the university.

As for other offers that U of M lost out on (KBD, Tate, Blackmon Jr., Bluiett & maybe Looney. I forget if he was ever actually officially offered) those don't really disappoint me as much, even though some may be better players. Booker was a guy Michigan was in with from the start so it's a shame that he didn't seem to really value that. Not that he should've gone to Michigan because of that but I think he might have strung them along well after he'd crossed them off the list in his head.

Comment

• Kentucky is one of the few schools -- maybe the only school -- that can walk in and get a player like that.

It's always really bad news when UK actually wants a player you've been after for years.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
                    Wish the Finals appearance translated to a good recruiting class
                    Not a pivotal class and they got a plan A target.

Sparty OTOH, really messed up 2014. Izzo seems all but blacklisted by the top AAU guys going forward. There has to be something going on with Izzo, he missed on every target. He missed on every backup target. He missed on every plan C target.
                    The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• Basically.

Comment

• They got that kid named Lourawls, which is LOL but isn't he a player? Def not an original target of theirs tho.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                          Not a pivotal class and they got a plan A target.

Sparty OTOH, really messed up 2014. Izzo seems all but blacklisted by the top AAU guys going forward. There has to be something going on with Izzo, he missed on every target. He missed on every backup target. He missed on every plan C target.
                          They still got Gary Harris two years ago but, yeah. He lost out on Parker last year and Looney, Blackmon and Booker were all spartie targets as well.

It's hard to say why but I hope the trend continues.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                            They got that kid named Lourawls, which is LOL but isn't he a player? Def not an original target of theirs tho.
                            I just looked him up. He's a 5'10" PG that ESPN has ranked at #72. The other guy they have is 6'5" SG Javon Bess. I think he was a back-up plan for Michigan but committed before Blackmon and Booker. ESPN has him as a 3-star.
                            Last edited by *JD*; November 3, 2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• Lourawls is a good player, very fast, but is 5-10 can't shoot and has just OK playmaking abilities. He is a good finisher and supposed to be a good leader. Bess is going to go up the boards before it is all said and done, but he is a 6-5 SF who, again, can't really shoot. At least that is not his calling card.

Just an awful two years of recruiting for Izzo. Before he finally found a taker on Lourawls, he went after Tyus Jones, Tyler Ulis, Jaquan Lyle and Quentin Snyder. Bess obviously another plan D target.

I am curious as to why a stable, top 5 program has failed so badly in recruiting during a reload class and in 2013 as well. Something has to be turning them off, has to be something with Izzo.
                              The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• He's kinda the new Bobby Knight -- it likely takes a type to be interested and willing to endure Izzo's screaming. There's no glitz or fun to MSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X