No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federalism is built to play in cold weather.

Think on it.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Even when the United States was kicking the shit out of the Treasonous Conquered People, they had to play on the road in warm weather. Some real bullshit. I blame Slive.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Haha
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• As a lawyer, I find it hilarious that anyone, I mean anyone, thinks that states can just invalidate Congressional acts by passing their own laws. I think of all the time I spent reading pre-emption cases and supremacy law cases that built up over time to bring our federalism into relief.

But, oh no, if a state decides it doesn't want to follow a Congressional act all it has to do is pass a law. I mean....wow. Just wow.
          If I recall, the nullification issue was rather forcefully decided from 1861-1865. It all started when several states refused to accept a duly elected President and attempted to use preemptive action anticipating what they thought the new President might do.

Talent is, of course, correct on the jurisprudence of the Commerce and Supremacy clauses. And, as clearly, the Congress could pass a law limiting the reach of the federal government to only those (marijuana-related) matters involving actual interstate transportation of large amounts. But the current situation is what happens when you have an utterly lawless President ruling by decree, and a Supreme Court trying to constantly increase its power through the Commerce Clause.

Comment

• Couldn't believe the Committee gave South Carolina a home venue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Everyone acknowledges that. Would you care to acknowledge that Trump entered office with a much healthier economy than Obama did?
              yes, but not nearly as healthy as it should have been. When 0bama folks are claiming that 3% is fantasy and that 2% is the new normal, to see those same folks claim that the economic boom is 100% 0bama is laughable.

Comment

• Montana and numerous other states have passed laws that declare that federal firearms laws do not apply to their state. I'm not sure if the Obama DOJ opted to not interfere with the wishes of the Montana citizens and legislature and proclaim that those laws shall not apply to Montana, but if they did then it was total fucking horseshit and an usurpation of Congressional authority.

Comment

• But the current situation is what happens when you have an utterly lawless President ruling by decree, and a Supreme Court trying to constantly increase its power through the Commerce Clause.
                  To the extent the current situation is the marijuana thing, the more direct cause is our the dumbfucked War on Drugs. We're stuck with shit legislation that ought to be undone. And what's more, there's lots of public support for it -- an even an Republican Rep has introduced remedial legislation. There's bipartisan support in the Senate. It's actually something that not only SHOULD get done, but COULD.

Obama's decision to piss on Article II is a by-product of the bill. I guess the bill itself was made possible by our insterstate commerce juridprudence, so maybe that's to blame!

Comment

• Wow. I am pretty much in complete agreement with Talent. I think pot should be legal and I appreciated the Obama era memo helping to make the business more legitimate, the real solution is legislation. If the last 12 months should have taught us anything, it's about the importance of process. The process is more important in a lot of ways than the outcome. The fact that folks regularly pervert that process (I.e. Holding hundreds of court appointments without reason except to let your guy appoint ones or DACA) is part of the problem and more breaking of that just leads to more problems.
                    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Couldn't believe the Committee gave South Carolina a home venue.
                      Yeah. Fortunately the Ohio boys spent most of their playing road games against ACC teams, Ole Miss or Tennessee. They never really had to play at Alabama or LSU or Florida. I guess they did beat the crap out of Georgia, but that was pre-Kirby.

Comment

• shaddup
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          Montana and numerous other states have passed laws that declare that federal firearms laws do not apply to their state. I'm not sure if the Obama DOJ opted to not interfere with the wishes of the Montana citizens and legislature and proclaim that those laws shall not apply to Montana, but if they did then it was total fucking horseshit and an usurpation of Congressional authority.
                          It is the type of decision that set a precedent which will someday piss off the PROGS!!!1, without any doubt. In this particular instance, I find it to be good judgment (MO on pot baked in, heh). I fully appreciate that in others, I might have different feelings.

Comment

• If the last 12 months should have taught us anything, it's about the importance of process. The process is more important in a lot of ways than the outcome.
                            It's all sugar plums and candy canes when it's your guy ignoring he process and your guy is competent. When it's not your guy and not only is not your guy, it's THAT guy...well, holy fuck.

My mother, god bless her, is a lifelong D with an unabiding love for Obama. When we talked about this she'd often point out the "well, sometimes you have to do this if Congress won't act" line. I'd ask where that was in Article II, but mostly I'd ask her how she'd feel if that there GWB, and she was a bit queasy but stood strong. Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine DJT taking over the reigns of the Executive. And neither could she. She has since become modestly sympathetic to my arguments, though she's still more an "ends" person. But now she gets it, at least.

Comment

As a lawyer, I find it hilarious that anyone, I mean anyone, thinks that states can just invalidate Congressional acts by passing their own laws. I think of all the time I spent reading pre-emption cases and supremacy law cases that built up over time to bring our federalism into relief.

But, oh no, if a state decides it doesn't want to follow a Congressional act all it has to do is pass a law. I mean....wow. Just wow.
                              Republican Senate Candidate (supported by the president and the national republican committee) Roy Moore disagrees with you.

Comment

It's all sugar plums and candy canes when it's your guy ignoring he process and your guys is competent. When it's not your guy and not only is not your guy, it's THAT guy...well, holy fuck.

My mother, god bless her, is a lifelong D with an unabiding love for Obama. When we talked about this she'd often point out the "well, sometimes you have to do this if Congress won't act" line. I'd ask where that was in Article II, but mostly I'd ask her how she'd feel if that there GWB, and she was a bit queasy but stood strong. Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine DJT taking over the reigns of the Executive. And neither could she. She has since become modestly sympathetic to my arguments, though she's still more an "ends" person. But now she gets it, at least.
                                Again, we agree. I also agree with your moms. When congress refuses to do its job, you vote them out to get people who will do their job. I will admit I'm not happy that folks (including the media) didn't care that the republicans in congress refused to do anything about anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X