• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could have put this with the ex-Lion thread, but I put it here instead:

Bears announce Kevin Warren is their new President and CEO

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 12, 2023, 11:16 AM EST

Getty Images

Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren is leaving college sports to become President and CEO of the Bears.

The Bears announced today that Warren has taken the job and will begin in the spring.

“Kevin is a man of integrity, respect and excellence, all of which are critical core values of the Chicago Bears, and we welcome his perspective and diverse thought to lead this storied organization,” Bears Chairman George McCaskey said in a statement. “He is a proven leader who has many times stepped outside of his comfort zone to challenge status quo for unconventional growth and prosperity. In this role, Warren will serve in the primary leadership position of the franchise to help bring the next Super Bowl championship trophy home to Bears fans.”

Warren replaces Ted Phillips, who has been the team’s President and CEO for the last 23 years.

“I am honored and recognize the responsibility bestowed upon me to lead the Chicago Bears during this exciting and pivotal time for the franchise,” Warren said. “I look forward to building on the rich tradition that started with George Halas and connecting with the unique and vibrant fanbase in Chicago. I join the Chicago Bears with gratitude and drive to carry out and build upon the legacy and spirit of this founding franchise and my predecessors. This is a franchise that is respected in all of professional sports, and I am humbled to be selected as the next President & CEO of the Chicago Bears.”

Before taking over as Big Ten Commissioner, Warren had extensive experience in the NFL, working for the Vikings, Lions and Rams.

The most important task for Warren will be overseeing the Bears’ plans to move from Soldier Field in Chicago to a new stadium in the suburbs.
    Last edited by Futureshock; January 12, 2023, 12:34 PM.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Derek Carr: I look forward to a new city and a new team

Posted by Josh Alper on January 12, 2023, 11:00 AM EST

Getty Images

Quarterback Derek Carr‘s time with the Raiders has not officially come to an end yet, but it’s clear that he’s going to be moving on before the start of the 2023 season.

Carr was benched for the final two weeks of the regular season and posted a farewell message to his Twitter account on Thursday. He told Raiders fans that it “breaks my heart I didn’t get an opportunity to say goodbye in person” and then pivoted to what’s next.

Carr referenced a past comment that he’d probably quit football if he wasn’t a member of the Raiders while saying that he is going to be continuing his career elsewhere.

“I once said that if I’m not a Raider I would rather be at home and I meant that, but I never envisioned it ending this way,” Carr wrote. “That fire burning inside of me to win a championship still rages. A fire no man can extinguish; only God. So I look forward to a new city and a new team who, no matter the circumstance, will get everything I have. Winning a championship is what I’ve always wanted and what I will continue to work towards.”

Carr’s contract calls for $40.4 million to become guaranteed three days after the Super Bowl and the Raiders are expected to try to find a team to trade for him in the coming weeks. Carr can veto a trade, however, and could push for a release if he thinks that’s the better path for him to find his next football home.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Video footage of OBJ airplane incident emerges

Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2023, 10:14 AM EST

Getty Images

We struggled with whether to post this one. But the story was a big deal at the time, so it makes sense to add the last piece of the puzzle.

Body camera footage from the November 27 incident involving free-agent receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has emerged. It shows first responders concluding that Beckham was fine, followed by a debate between flight attendants and officers as to whether Beckham truly was fine.

Then came the effort to remove everyone from the plane, because Beckham refused to leave.

The six-minute, 44-second video, as posted at TMZ.com, ends with Beckham and another passenger exchanging words during the deplaning process.

You’re everything that’s wrong with the world,” Beckham said to the other passenger. “Looking at me to get off a plane, for you. I would never, ever in my life get off the plane for you. Specifically you. Maybe everybody else, I would get off the plane. . . . You’re gonna wait 40 minutes, and I’m gonaa be on a private plane home. Yeah, with your fat ass. Get your ass off the plane for a second. . . . Enjoy the cheeseboard on the way home with your ugly ass.”

It was indeed an ugly incident, one that preceded a multi-city free-agency tour from Beckham. After visiting the Bills, Giants, and Cowboys, however, Beckham did not sign a contract for the balance of 2022.

If/when he makes more visits in the offseason, we hope that on the table in the meeting room there will be a cheeseboard.

Comment

• Ian Cunningham to interview with Cardinals Thursday

Posted by Josh Alper on January 12, 2023, 10:04 AM EST

Getty Images

The Cardinals are meeting with another General Manager candidate on Thursday.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the team is interviewing Bears assistant G.M. Ian Cunningham.

Cunningham broke into the NFL as a player personnel assistant and scout for the Ravens and then spent five years with the Eagles. He was hired in Chicago after they hired Ryan Poles as their General Manager last year.

The Cardinals have interviewed their vice president of player personnel Quentin Harris and their vice president of pro personnel Adrian Wilson. They also interviewed former Giants G.M. Jerry Reese, but 49ers assistant G.M. Adam Peters declined an opportunity to meet with the team.

Comment

• NFL 2023 head coaching and G.M. change tracker

Posted by Josh Alper on January 12, 2023, 6:13 AM EST

Getty Images

The regular season is over and that means that it is time for teams that fell short of expectations this season to start looking for the people that can take them where they want to go in 2023.

Three teams — the Panthers, Colts, and Broncos — fired head coaches during the regular season and the Texans relieved Lovie Smith of his duties after the team’s final game. The Titans fired General Manager Jon Robinson during the season and Cardinals G.M. Steve Keim took a leave of absence that is expected to lead to his departure.

More moves are likely to come and we’ll keep track of all the firings, interviews, and hirings right here, so check back often to see what moves teams are making as they get ready for the 2023 season.

Arizona: General Manager Steve Keim took a leave of absence on December 14 and he is not expected to return to the team. Fired head coach Kliff Kingsbury on January 9. Requested permission to interview Bears assistant G.M. Ian Cunningham on January 9. Interviewed internal candidates Adrian Wilson and Quentin Harris for the G.M. job on January 9 and requested interviews with 49ers director of player personnel Ran Carthon, 49ers assistant General Manager Adam Peters and Titans director of player personnel Monti Ossenfort. Interviewed former Giants G.M. Jerry Reese on January 10. Received permission to speak with former Saints head coach Sean Payton. Defensive coordinator Vance Joseph is expected to interview for the head coaching job. Interviewed Cunningham on January 12.

Carolina: Fired head coach Matt Rhule on October 10. Hired Steve Wilks as interim head coach. Expected to interview Jim Caldwell and Frank Reich. Have reportedly spoken with Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh. Requested to interview Bills offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey, Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson and Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen. Requested interview with Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka. Interviewed Jim Caldwell on January 9 and Steve Wilks on January 10. Interviewed Reich on January 11. Requested interview with Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore.

Denver: Fired head coach Nathaniel Hackett on December 26. Hired Jerry Rosburg as interim head coach. Have spoken with former Saints head coach Sean Payton, but cannot formally interview him until January 17. Expected to interview defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero and Jim Harbaugh. Requested interview with Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. Requested interview with Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris. Requested interview with 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans. Conducted virtual interview with Jim Harbaugh on January 9. Interviewed former Stanford head coach David Shaw on January 11.

Houston: Fired head coach Lovie Smith on January 8. Requested interviews with Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans, Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon, and Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero. Requested interview with Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka. Requested permission to speak with Sean Payton. Requested interview with Rams assistant head coach Thomas Brown.

Indianapolis: Fired head coach Frank Reich on November 7. Hired Jeff Saturday as interim head coach. Requested interviews with Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn, Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson and Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris. Requested permission to interview Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen on January 9. Requested interview with Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero. Interviewed Colts special teams coordinator Bubba Ventrone on January 11.

Tennessee: Fired General Manager Jon Robinson on December 6. Plan to interview or have requested to interview Titans vice president of player personnel Ryan Cowden, Titans director of player personnel Monti Ossenfort, 49ers director of player personnel Ran Carthon, Browns assistant G.M. Glenn Cook, Bears assistant G.M. Ian Cunningham, and 49ers assistant G.M. Adam Peters.

Comment

• NFL’s new postseason overtime rule means game doesn’t end with a TD on first possession

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 12, 2023, 4:55 AM EST

Getty Images

In last year’s playoffs, the Bills and Chiefs played one of the greatest games in NFL history, but it was a game that left many fans feeling unfulfilled: It ended with the Chiefs receiving the overtime kickoff and scoring the game-winning touchdown on the opening possession. Bills quarterback Josh Allen, who had played a brilliant game, never touched the ball in overtime.

This year, that won’t happen: The NFL changed its playoff overtime rules in the offseason, and now postseason games won’t end with a touchdown on the opening possession of overtime.

Now if a team scores a touchdown on the first possession of overtime, it will line up to kick an extra point or attempt a two-point conversion. Then that team will kick off, and the other team will get a chance to score a touchdown. If that team does score a touchdown, it will line up for an extra point or two-point conversion of its own. It’s possible that the game can end at that point: For instance, if the first team kicked an extra point, the second team can try a game-ending two-point conversion attempt. But if the score remains tied after both teams’ touchdowns, at that point the team that scored the second touchdown would kick off again, and from there on it would be sudden-death overtime.

The new rules could lead to some new strategies: Some coaches may actually prefer to kick off to begin overtime, on the thinking that they’d rather know what the other team has done when they get the ball, and know if they need to play for a touchdown or can settle for a field goal. Some coaches may be more aggressive about going for two after a touchdown.

There is still one scenario in which both teams don’t get a possession in overtime: If the team kicking off
              to start overtime scores a safety on the receiving team’s initial possession, the team that kicked off is the winner without ever possessing the ball. For instance, if the kickoff returner gets tackled deep in his own territory, and then on the next play the quarterback is sacked in his own end zone, that safety ends the game.

Unlike regular-season overtime, which is 10 minutes long, playoff overtime is essentially starting a new game: Teams will play 15-minute periods until there is a winner. If there’s been no winner after two 15-minute periods, there will be another kickoff to start the third overtime period, although there won’t be a halftime break between periods. Needing to go to a third overtime period has never happened in NFL history.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post

This is kind of off topic but I went out searching for this week's episode of Inside the NFL. Turns out you can only get it on Paramount+ these days, HBO dumped it. I joined for a trial to see what they had to say about the Lions/Packers game.

Anyway, I was disappointed in their coverage of the Lions game, but they did show a postgame clip of the Seahawks in the locker room. The difference in the atmosphere between their locker room and the Lions' locker room is hugely noticeable.

Maybe it was just the situation - the Seahawks barely surviving a bad Rams team and not knowing if their season is over yet or not. Their players seemed quiet and not very engaged in what their coach had to say at all.

Regardless, I'm so glad we don't have a guy like Carroll coaching our team.
                Originally posted by froot loops View Post

Deb - that might have been an outlier reaction, from everything I've read about Carroll is the players love playing for the guy because he has high energy.
                Sorry for the low-tech way I captured it but here's what I'm referencing. No big deal, just struck me as very different from what we've been seeing in Detroit.

#birdsarentreal

Comment

• Honestly, in the playoffs, it should just be straight up 15 minutes. If a team can somehow eat up 15 minutes on one possession and score, then frankly, they were so dominant in that possession they deserve the win.

Comment

• The Colts are interesting.....4th pick but may not have one of the top 2 QBs available at that point...will they give up alot of capital to move to 1? WIll they trade for someone like Derek Carr? Situations like this is what makes the draft fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
                      The Colts are interesting.....4th pick but may not have one of the top 2 QBs available at that point...will they give up alot of capital to move to 1? WIll they trade for someone like Derek Carr? Situations like this is what makes the draft fun.
                      And for a blessed change, we don't have an idiot like Millen or a mediocrity like Bob Quinn or Russ Thomas to muck things up for the Detroit Lions.

Even better, it looks like Sheila Ford Hamp is actually listening to the grown people in her Front Office, and is letting them make the decisions, unlike her inept and out of touch late father.
                      "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Ol' Willie wasn't a meddler either. Ol' Willie's problem was that he hired his drinking buddies and family failsons to make all the decisions.

Comment

• Nobody is going to trade for Carr…there a 40m payment that guarantees 3 days after the super bowl. He’ll be a FA (2 days after the super bowl)

Comment

• Panthers request interview with Jerod Mayo

Posted by Josh Alper on January 12, 2023, 1:26 PM EST

Getty Images

Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo’s name has come up as part of the Browns’ search for a defensive coordinator, but that’s not the only team interested in speaking with him this offseason.

According to multiple reports, the Panthers have requested permission to interview Mayo. This interview would be for the Panthers’ head coaching vacancy rather than a defensive coordinator role.

Mayo’s name came up when the Broncos and Raiders were looking for new coaches last offseason. He’s been on the Patriots staff since 2019 and has shared many defensive coordinator responsibilities with Steve Belichick despite neither of them having that title.

The Panthers have interviewed Jim Caldwell, Frank Reich, and interim head coach Steve Wilks already. They’ve also asked to interview Bills offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey, Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka and Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post

Sorry for the low-tech way I captured it but here's what I'm referencing. No big deal, just struck me as very different from what we've been seeing in Detroit.

Lol #9 was just staring off into space. You're right. Definitely a different atmosphere.
                              "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                              Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Who the hell says "frickin" in front of a bunch of grown-ass men?

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X