NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
    As civil lawsuit proceeds, prosecutors say former Bills punter Matt Araiza wasn’t present for alleged gang rape

Posted by Mike Florio on May 8, 2023, 9:14 PM EDT

Getty Images

A civil lawsuit filed last summer against Bills punter Matt Araiza resulted in the team abruptly cutting ties with the sixth-round draft pick. While the lawsuit still continues, prosecutors who explored criminal charges concluded that Araiza left a party before an alleged gang rape occurred.

Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports has the details.

As Wetzel explains it, authorities investigated the claims for 10 months. No prosecution was pursued. Wetzel obtained and reviewed a 200-plus-page transcript of a 110-minute meeting between prosecutors and the alleged victim and her lawyers. Prosecutors explained during the meeting the determination, based on the available evidence, that Araiza had left the home at which the alleged gang rape occurred an hour before it happened.

That ultimately has no relevance to the civil lawsuit, given that a much lower standard of proof applies. For criminal cases, where the prosecution ultimately must produce proof beyond a reasonable doubt of guilt, discretion often is exercised to avoid taking on a case that would be, if presented to a jury, rife with doubt.

For Araiza’s defense of the civil suit, evidence that persuaded prosecutors not to pursue charges could be used to persuade a jury that he has no liability to the alleged victim. The standard of proof is “preponderance of the evidence” (i.e., more likely than not).

Araiza remains a free agent, able to sign with any team at any time. It remains to be seen whether Wetzel’s reporting breaks the ice, or whether teams will choose to wait for the civil lawsuit to conclude before considering signing Araiza.
    Mannnnnn.. This is some straight bullshit. That chick that falsely accused him should face criminal charges. Such a crock of shit
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• She should face criminal charges from being gang raped? That blurb didn't say she wasn't gang raped. Just that he likely wasn't part of it. It seems likely she had a hazy memory of who actually did it, which is probably common.

Comment

• People. We're hard on each other.

It is possible to have more then one victim.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Jaguars will be first team to play two London games in same season

Posted by Josh Alper on May 10, 2023, 7:55 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Jaguars have played more games in London than any other NFL team and they will add to that total twice in 2023.

The NFL announced this year’s slate of European games on Wednesday morning and it shows that the Jaguars will become the first team to play two games in London in the same season. They will play their customary role as the designated home team for a Week Four game against the Falcons at Wembley Stadium and then they will stay on that side of the Atlantic Ocean to face the Bills in Week Five at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Jacksonville will be designated as the road team for that game, but playing games in London in back-to-back weeks will only solidify the Jaguars’ status as London’s de facto home team.

The Jaguars are set to play in London again in 2024 as the final game of a three-year deal to be the host for games at Wembley. Given the team’s extended involvement in London, it seems likely that they’ll look to get another one in place once that agreement comes to an end.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• There's your Chiefs Germany game...

Tyreek Hill won’t return to Arrowhead after all, Dolphins-Chiefs set for Germany

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 10, 2023, 7:44 AM EDT

Getty Images

So much for Tyreek Hill returning to Arrowhead Stadium.

Chiefs cornerback L'Jarius Sneed had barely finished saying that he and his teammates were eager to welcome Hill back to Kansas City when the NFL announced that the highly anticipated Dolphins-Chiefs game won’t be played at Arrowhead after all.

Instead, the Week Nine game between the Dolphins and Chiefs will be played in Frankfurt, Germany. It’s technically a Chiefs home game, but the fans in Kansas City will be watching on TV.

That’s surely a disappointment for Chiefs season ticket holders, who had circled the return of Hill as one of the marquee games of this season. But the NFL is serious about growing its fan base in Germany, and part of that effort includes scheduling some of the best games of the year for Germany.

Dolphins-Chiefs should be a very good game, one of the best that the NFL has played overseas.

Comment

• NFL releases full 2023 European schedule

Posted by Josh Alper on May 10, 2023, 7:10 AM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL’s entire schedule will be released on Thursday night, but the league’s international games have been announced on Wednesday morning.

There will be three games in London and two games in Germany this season. The Jaguars will be the first team to take part in two international games in the same season when they play in London on back-to-back weeks early in the season.

Jacksonville will serve as the “home” team in a Week Four game against the Falcons at Wembley Stadium and then they’ll move on to being the “road” team in a matchup of 2022 playoff teams in Week Five. They’ll face the Bills at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Germany will also host a meeting of AFC playoff clubs. Week Nine will bring the Dolphins and Chiefs to Frankfurt with the Chiefs serving as the “home” side.

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium will be the site of a Ravens-Titans clash in Week Six and the Colts and Patriots will wrap up the league’s European games in Frankfurt in Week 10.

Comment

• Cool...

Dax Hill looking forward to building on “old times” with DJ Turner

Posted by Josh Alper on May 10, 2023, 7:01 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Bengals are set to have a new look in their secondary this season, but two members of the defensive backfield have a head start on developing their working relationship.

Safety Dax Hill joined the Bengals as a 2022 first-round pick out of Michigan and his former college teammate DJ Turner came aboard in the second round this year. Turner will be vying for work at cornerback while Hill is set to step into a bigger role with Jessie Bates and Vonn Bell moving on to other teams.

It’s unclear how much they’ll be on the field together, but Hill believes their past will help make their future more productive.

“We were on the phone about it,” Hill said, via Laurel Pfahler of the Dayton Daily News. “It was kind of funny, it was like old times. We always look at each other and already know how we are going to play just based on how we are aligned, so we already have that chemistry built so I’m just looking forward to keep building on that.”

The Bengals also drafted Jordan Battle in the third round and the transition that the rookies make to the NFL will impact the Bengals’ bid for a third straight AFC North title.

Comment

• Ja’Whaun Bentley: Hell of an opportunity to face Aaron Rodgers twice a year

Posted by Josh Alper on May 10, 2023, 6:25 AM EDT

Getty Images

Linebacker Ja'whaun Bentley and the rest of the Patriots had a chance to face Aaron Rodgers last season.

Rodgers’ second touchdown pass of the game tied things up in the fourth quarter and the Packers were able to win the Week Four game at Lambeau Field in overtime on a Mason Crosby field goal. It was only the third time that Rodgers faced the Patriots, but that number is set to nearly double this year.

The Jets traded for Rodgers, so the Patriots are now set to face him twice in one season. On Tuesday, Bentley shared his thoughts about that prospect.

“Aaron Rodgers is definitely a fantastic quarterback, for sure. He’s definitely going to add some things to the Jets as far as their offense is concerned,” Bentley said, via Andrew Callahan of the Boston Herald. “Hands down, it’s going to be a hell of an opportunity for us to go against him twice a year. But if you ask us, we’re excited about the opportunity. We have no choice but to be excited about it.”

Bentley said that he thrives “off competition in general” and the Patriots should have plenty of it with the Bills and Dolphins coming off playoff seasons at the same time that Rodgers has stepped into the picture.

Comment

• Kyler Murray donates $15,000 to 6-year-old who lost his family in Allen shooting

Posted by Charean Williams on May 10, 2023, 12:21 AM EDT

Getty Images

Kyler Murray used his social media platform to sound off about the “sickening” mass shooting in Allen, Texas, where he played high school football.

The Cardinals quarterback then quietly did more.

Murray donated $15,000 to a fundraiser benefitting a 6-year old whose parents and younger brother were killed in the mass shooting Saturday. Cindy, Kyu and 3-year-old James Cho were among eight victims killed by the gunman.

Family members wrote on the page that William, the only surviving member of the family, was released from the ICU and is “recovering well.”

The GoFundMe, which had a $50,000 goal, has raised more than $1.657 million for William. More than 32,000 people have donated, with Murray as the top donor.

Comment

• Anna Wolfe wins Pulitzer Prize for her coverage of Brett Favre, Mississippi welfare scandal

Posted by Mike Florio on May 9, 2023, 8:28 PM EDT

Getty Images

The whole truth remains to be determined — and thanks to several pending legal actions it possibly will be — regarding what Brett Favre knew and when he knew it regarding federal welfare funds that were not used as intended in Mississippi. No matter where it goes from here, Anna Wolfe of Mississippi Today surely never expected that her coverage of it would receive the ultimate prize for journalism.

Wolfe has won the 2023 Pulitzer Prize in Local Reporting “[f]or reporting that revealed how a former Mississippi governor used his office to steer millions of state welfare dollars to benefit his family and friends, including NFL quarterback Brett Favre.”

Her “winning work” came from seven articles, three of which expressly mentioned Favre in the headlines.

Favre is both a defendant and a plaintiff in litigation arising from the situation; the state of Mississippi has sued him, and he has sued multiple media celebrities (Pat McAfee and Shannon Sharpe) for defamation.

Favre has yet to be criminally charged. He has consistently denied any and all wrongdoing.

Comment

• Joey Porter Sr. thrilled his son is a Steeler

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2023, 5:23 PM EDT

Getty Images

Joey Porter Sr. was drafted by the Steelers in 1999. Joey Porter Jr. was drafted by the Steelers in 2023. Father is thrilled to see his son following in his footsteps.

“I wanted it to be the Steelers so bad for him,” Porter Sr. told Steelers.com. “But they did such a good job of not letting us know. I have over 50 friends in that building that know me personally and I got nothing from anybody to say, ‘man, be ready, it’s coming,’ or anything. We wanted it. Trust me, that’s what we wanted. But we just didn’t feel like we could say for sure that’s what it was going to be.”

Although Porter Sr. left Pittsburgh to sign with Miami in 2007 and then went to Arizona in 2010, he returned to Pittsburgh after retiring as a player, spent five years on the Steelers’ coaching staff, and raised Joey Jr. primarily in Pennsylvania.

“It was amazing. I mean, absolutely amazing,” said Porter Sr. “The excitement was crazy because we’ve been back in Pittsburgh for a while. It’s where he played his high school ball, he played his college ball in Pennsylvania. Now to actually be drafted by the team who brought us to Pittsburgh, to Pennsylvania, in the first place. It’s the first locker room he ever walked into and now he’s walking in there because he works for the team. I mean, this is absolutely amazing. I am at a loss of words, actually.”

Porter Sr. won’t be at a loss for words as he cheers on his son in Pittsburgh, for many years to come.

Comment

• Talk about a player that was destined for a team...I hardly saw a mock where he wasnt taken by the Steelers, but usually it was at pick 17, not the spot where they ended up taking him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                            There's your Chiefs Germany game...

Tyreek Hill won’t return to Arrowhead after all, Dolphins-Chiefs set for Germany

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 10, 2023, 7:44 AM EDT

Getty Images

So much for Tyreek Hill returning to Arrowhead Stadium.

Chiefs cornerback L'Jarius Sneed had barely finished saying that he and his teammates were eager to welcome Hill back to Kansas City when the NFL announced that the highly anticipated Dolphins-Chiefs game won’t be played at Arrowhead after all.

Instead, the Week Nine game between the Dolphins and Chiefs will be played in Frankfurt, Germany. It’s technically a Chiefs home game, but the fans in Kansas City will be watching on TV.

That’s surely a disappointment for Chiefs season ticket holders, who had circled the return of Hill as one of the marquee games of this season. But the NFL is serious about growing its fan base in Germany, and part of that effort includes scheduling some of the best games of the year for Germany.

Dolphins-Chiefs should be a very good game, one of the best that the NFL has played overseas.
                            Can't have those upstart Lions embarrass the defending Superbowl Champs on the world stage.
                            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• That’s the way I read it too
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Jim Trotter hired as a columnist at the Athletic yesterday.

I'll post his first column later on today as soon as I get off from work in another 35 minutes.
                                "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                                My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X