No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forty years ago today, Joe Delaney died while trying to save three drowning children

By Mike Florio
    Published June 29, 2023 12:02 AM

“There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” Forty years ago today, Chiefs running back Joe Delaney laid down his life for three total strangers.

June 29, 1983. A trio of boys got into a man-made pond at a park in Delaney’s home state of Louisiana. They struggled. Delaney did not hesitate to try to help.

I can’t swim good, but I’ve got to save those kids ,” Joe Delaney said as he headed for the water. “If I don’t come up, get somebody.”

One of the boys made it to safety. Two others drowned. Joe Delaney drowned, too, leaving behind a wife and three young daughters.

He was only 24. He had played two years in the NFL, with the Chiefs. He rushed for 1,121 yards as a rookie. He had several years of football, and many decades of life, still in front of him.

Here’s the original Associated Press story regarding Joe Delaney’s death.

Every year on June 29, we remember what Joe Delaney did. Few could ever act with such selflessness. Joe Delaney did.

We honor him every year on this day because, every year we do it, he hear from multiple people who were not aware of Joe Delaney’s story. It shouldn’t be that way. The NFL and/or the Hall of Fame should come up with a proper and permanent tribute to a man who did something few ever do.

In 2020, the diver who retrieved Joe Delaney from the pond successfully lobbied for a permanent memorial to Delaney at Chennault Park in Monroe, Louisiana.

“It’s never left my mind,” Marvin Dearman said at the time. “Basically, he died in my arms, and it’s something I’ve never forgotten.”

We’ll never forget it, either. Every June 29, we’ll mention what Joe Delaney did.

His courage should be remembered, celebrated, and emulated. Emulated not in the extremely rare moments of a suddenly emerging life-and-death situation, but in smaller and less consequential challenges that pop up on a regular basis. Joe Delaney’s sacrifice provides a clear example of the importance of doing the right thing, whatever the cost.

Far more often than not, the cost of doing the right thing is far less than the price Joe Delaney paid. Delaney’s example should provide a constant inspiration to embrace the cost of doing the right thing, especially when it’s far less than the sacrifice Joe Delany made.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• That’s sad…

Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

Cracking Up Lol GIF
      I understand this meme now!
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Hard Knocks could place stress on relationship between Jets, Aaron Rodgers
        By Mike Florio
        Published June 28, 2023 08:19 PM

There are plenty of reasons for any team to not want to be the subject of the preseason Hard Knocks series. There’s one specific additional reason for the Jets to be leery about being the focal point of the show in 2023.

The team that gets the Hard Knocks assignment has final say over the footage that makes it onto HBO. But this doesn’t mean the authority over the official content is always properly exercised. The last time the Jets did the show, in 2010, the Jets authorized the use of a clip in which cornerback Antonio Cromartie struggled to recite the names of his children . (Cromartie claimed producers asked him to pause .) In 2018, the Browns included footage of a tense exchange between coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley regarding whether to give veteran players rest during practice. Jackson thought it made him look good. It did not.

For the Jets, new quarterback Aaron Rodgers would become a focal point of the cameras and microphones, if the Jets receive the assignment to do the show. And if the Jets make a bad decision regarding a Rodgers-related snippet that gets included, the Jets might have to answer to Rodgers for it.

Presumably, the Jets will know the things Rodgers does and doesn’t want to be included in the broadcast. But what if they guess wrong? Rodgers could end up being unnecessarily miffed, over something that was completely avoidable.

The best move, if the Jets end up being the Hard Knocks team, could be for the Jets to let Rodgers watch the rough cut — and to exercise full veto power directly over anything he has said that social media could and would use against him.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Looming “handful” of gambling suspensions underscores past failures of education

By Mike Florio
          Published June 28, 2023 03:40 PM

More gambling suspensions are coming. We don’t know how many.

Per ESPN.com, it’s a “handful.” What’s a handful, though?

We’ll find out, apparently by the end of the week. (An ideal summer bad-news dump is just two days away.) And these suspensions, coupled from the “handful” of suspensions imposed in April underscores the failure of the education process.

The league has not done a good job of making sure players know the rules. It seems the NFL prioritized harvesting signatures on policy acknowledgement forms over true and complete comprehension of the relevant do’s and don’ts.

Some teams, spotting the problems with the league-provided training, conducted their own. Some teams literally re-wrote the policy, given that it reads as if it were written by lawyers, for lawyers.

The good news is that the league seems to be trying harder, when it comes to properly educating players. The bad news is that flaws seem to remain.

And they surely will. As previously mentioned, it becomes difficult for the NFL to have true moral authority when it comes to properly enforcing “thou shalt nots” when the NFL is stuffing its pockets full of cash from those who shalt continue to lose it.

Only when the league creates a true firewall between football and wagering will the league truly be equipped to create safeguards that players can understand, honor, and accept — especially since the entire situation currently oozes with hypocrisy.

Comment

• Report: Isaiah Rodgers, more players to receive season-long gambling suspensions this week
            By Myles Simmons
            Published June 28, 2023 12:56 PM
            0 seconds of 8 minutes, 3 secondsVolume 0%

Colts defensive back Isaiah Rodgers is apparently not the only player bracing for a lengthy suspension.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Rodgers is one of a “handful” of players who are expected to receive a season-long suspension for gambling this week.

Reports emerged that Rodgers was under investigation for “pervasive” violations of the NFL’s gambling policy in June. Rodgers issued a statement saying that he took full responsibility for his actions, calling them an “error in judgment.” He added he was “willing to do whatever it takes to repair the situation.”

Rodgers is alleged to have placed some 100 bets on an account opened under the name of an associate. Some bets reportedly included Colts games.

Earlier in the offseason, the NFL suspended five players for violations of the gambling policy. The most prominent player in that group of suspensions was Lions receiver Jameson Williams, who received six games for placing bets on non-NFL sports at a team facility.

Comment

• That headline was yesterday’s news. Not sure why their Taking their time to release the names

Comment

• Nicholas Petit-Frere Titans…six games

Comment

• Isaiah Rodgers and Rashod Berry of the Indianapolis Colts and free agent Demetrius Taylor are all suspended indefinitely through for betting on NFL games in 2022. All three players will miss at least the entire 2023 season and then be eligible to apply for reinstatement after that.

Comment

• Betting on the NFL was pure stupidity. Betting on other sports or college level is the NFLs fault for not better prepping the league and it’s young players better
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                      Forty years ago today, Joe Delaney died while trying to save three drowning children

By Mike Florio
                      Published June 29, 2023 12:02 AM

“There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” Forty years ago today, Chiefs running back Joe Delaney laid down his life for three total strangers.

June 29, 1983. A trio of boys got into a man-made pond at a park in Delaney’s home state of Louisiana. They struggled. Delaney did not hesitate to try to help.

I can’t swim good, but I’ve got to save those kids ,” Joe Delaney said as he headed for the water. “If I don’t come up, get somebody.”

One of the boys made it to safety. Two others drowned. Joe Delaney drowned, too, leaving behind a wife and three young daughters.

He was only 24. He had played two years in the NFL, with the Chiefs. He rushed for 1,121 yards as a rookie. He had several years of football, and many decades of life, still in front of him.

Here’s the original Associated Press story regarding Joe Delaney’s death.

Every year on June 29, we remember what Joe Delaney did. Few could ever act with such selflessness. Joe Delaney did.

We honor him every year on this day because, every year we do it, he hear from multiple people who were not aware of Joe Delaney’s story. It shouldn’t be that way. The NFL and/or the Hall of Fame should come up with a proper and permanent tribute to a man who did something few ever do.

In 2020, the diver who retrieved Joe Delaney from the pond successfully lobbied for a permanent memorial to Delaney at Chennault Park in Monroe, Louisiana.

“It’s never left my mind,” Marvin Dearman said at the time. “Basically, he died in my arms, and it’s something I’ve never forgotten.”

We’ll never forget it, either. Every June 29, we’ll mention what Joe Delaney did.

His courage should be remembered, celebrated, and emulated. Emulated not in the extremely rare moments of a suddenly emerging life-and-death situation, but in smaller and less consequential challenges that pop up on a regular basis. Joe Delaney’s sacrifice provides a clear example of the importance of doing the right thing, whatever the cost.

Far more often than not, the cost of doing the right thing is far less than the price Joe Delaney paid. Delaney’s example should provide a constant inspiration to embrace the cost of doing the right thing, especially when it’s far less than the sacrifice Joe Delany made.
                      This one gets me every year. It’s sad that he left his kids without a dad but being a dad and a quality man is probably the reason he attempted saving the boys in the first place.

Thats a legit hero right there.

F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• JETS have been selected for Hard Knocks. Could see that one a mile away. Good luck Erin
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• I think Rodgers is going to have a good year with some decent protection. I think he’ll put forth more of an effort than he has the past few seasons with the Packers.

Comment

• Without a doubt.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                              I think Rodgers is going to have a good year with some decent protection. I think he’ll put forth more of an effort than he has the past few seasons with the Packers.
                              I am of the opinion that he tanked last year to get out of Green Bay. I’m expecting a good year out of him this year followed by his eventual destruction by New York sports media.
                              "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• Originally posted by mason reese View Post

I am of the opinion that he tanked last year to get out of Green Bay. I’m expecting a good year out of him this year followed by his eventual destruction by New York sports media.
                                It had been building for awhile. Adams leaving was definitely one of the remaining straws. I hope he does well in New York for at least a season to make the pick that GB received from the JETS further down the line.

After that his arm can fall off for all I care.
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X