X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

Hmmmm foxchopper might be on to something here
    Yeah, maybe.

Or Trumpers might be bat shit crazy. Tough to tell.
    Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Hey you fucking fucks! It has been a while and I know you were anxiously waiting for my latest project pictures, but I had to put stuff on hold for a couple of months.

I had a small stroke back in early February. I spent a couple of days in the hospital and took a little while to recover. I was really lucky as it was very minor, but it scared the shit out of me. My left side was affected. I had weakness in my left arm and leg but I am back to about 95% normal. I still feel a little weak in my left leg and I get tired pretty quickly so it's slowed me down some, but I am to the point that if I didn't know that I had a stroke, I wouldn't know that I had a stroke. I would just think that I am old and out of shape. Which is true, BTW.

I sure that you all will be glad to know that I finally got back to doing some projects.

So enough of that shit. On to the projects.

We decided that we needed to upgrade our kitchen in the rental house that we bought about 15 years ago. The house is about 25 years old and had original linoleum counter tops that looked cheap and old. We decided to go with quartz. I removed old counter tops and I had already replaced the angle stops under the sink when I put in a new dishwasher prior to my "incident" so it was ready for the installers today. They got it done in a couple of hours.
      Now I need to install the new faucet on the new sink, reconfigure the plumbing to account for the new sink and do a tile backsplash. I'll get started on that tomorrow.
      The new counter tops look really good. It will be a huge improvement. 42 sq ft of quartz installed with a new sink cost me $3800. Really not too bad.

thumbnail_IMG_5161.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5162.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5199.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5198.jpg
      Last edited by CGVT; April 11, 2024, 01:18 PM.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Holy shit, glad you pulled through all right but that's some scary stuff (the stroke, not the home improvements). Maybe your body wasn't used to this thing known as "playoff football" and was trying to expel a foreign entity. Anyway you old bastard, no going out when the Lions are actually close to doing the thing we always hoped for. We've lost too many already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
          Holy shit, glad you pulled through all right but that's some scary stuff (the stroke, not the home improvements). Maybe your body wasn't used to this thing known as "playoff football" and was trying to expel a foreign entity. Anyway you old bastard, no going out when the Lions are actually close to doing the thing we always hoped for. We've lost too many already.
          Ha! I joked that with UofM winning a Natty, I was lucky the Lions didn't win the Superbowl or I would have died.

Just after my epic sewer clean out day I caught some kind of respiratory infection. (wasn't covid or the flu) I was as sick as I have ever been. Was taking a shit ton of OTC meds and a Z-Pac as well as my BP meds. I *think* between the coughing and the meds, I fucked something up. When my arm and leg first went weak, I thought it was just because I was so damn sick.I didn't have any speech problems or face drooping. I didn't go to the hospital until the next morning. I was lucky it was such a small stroke because I was too late for tPA treatments. If it had been a big stroke I would have been fucked.

It was a real eye-opener. You always think you have more time and all of a sudden you don't.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Glad it was only minor.

The NFC championship game stress was no joke. I've seen multiple championships in different sports and I've never experienced that shit like I did in this year's playoffs.

Comment

• Deary me! Thank the sweet mother o Jaysus it was minor. That must’ve been quite a scary few weeks. There is obviously no “good” with these incidents, but there is really…… It’s a lifestyle change alarm system. Get those “Cubans” cut the fk out!!
              But seriously, long ass story short….. electrician dude i know, woke up, one whole side numb. Hospital job, found out it was a stroke, not small, but not massive.
              Cut to, 3 years later, after diet change, no alcohol, and no smokes, ——>> runs 5 & 10kms for charity.
              He’s now one boring fucker who’s lost all his sense of humour…… But its for charity! 🤷‍♂️

By the way……. You know you’ve been on a forum long enough when you say out loud, “Hmmm, Cgvt’s had a stroke” ….. and the wife looks up from her laptop and is visibly shocked, “WHAT? Is he ok??”
              Glad you’re ok, man. 🤝

The countertops look superb as well. Hope that faucet is (Scottish accent) “a piece o piss to get fitted” 👍👌

"I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• My wife has been complaining about the countertops.

Comment

• CGVT, so glad you're okay!

What you're doing with your kitchen is beyond my paygrade. I have two brothers-in-law who have done what you're doing and I'm envious of your skills. Last summer, we had 2 bathrooms and kitchen/dining area completely remodeled and our small recessed front porch converted to an indoor entry room. The full remodel was partly for aesthetics, but mostly for fixing a number of significant issues. (including discovering during the remodel that the original plumber had split a joist to install some toilet pipes, yikes)

Anyway, the company we hired was awesome. Stepped us through the whole process from concept to design to implementation and follow-up. They waited until all their ducks were in a row with materials, inspections and labor and got the construction done start to finish in 4-5 weeks. My brother who is going through a similar sized remodel is now into month 18 with his company.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    My wife has been complaining about the countertops.
                    Once I get the rental finished we are gutting the kitchen in the house we live in. We are having cabinets built and will have new counter tops and sink and will replace all the old appliances. We bought a new refrigerator and took the one we were using to the rental because it was better than the one that was there . I have been putting off fixing shit in the kitchen because I didn't want to double down on the work, but the old faucet handle rotted off and we had to hold it in place to turn on the water. I couldn't' take it anymore so I went to Home Depot and bought a $50 piece of shit faucet to get us by until we can get around to getting the kitchen done.
                    Of course, the angle stops were all corroded to shit and broken off so I had to replace those before I could install the faucet. It was work I was planning on doing anyway, but it was still a shitty job.
                    I did it last weekend. I removed the garbage disposal while I was at it.
                    You can see the crappy Formica counter top and wallpaper that has to go in the last picture.

thumbnail_IMG_5182.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5179.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5180.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5192.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5193.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
                      CGVT, so glad you're okay!

What you're doing with your kitchen is beyond my paygrade. I have two brothers-in-law who have done what you're doing and I'm envious of your skills. Last summer, we had 2 bathrooms and kitchen/dining area completely remodeled and our small recessed front porch converted to an indoor entry room. The full remodel was partly for aesthetics, but mostly for fixing a number of significant issues. (including discovering during the remodel that the original plumber had split a joist to install some toilet pipes, yikes)

Anyway, the company we hired was awesome. Stepped us through the whole process from concept to design to implementation and follow-up. They waited until all their ducks were in a row with materials, inspections and labor and got the construction done start to finish in 4-5 weeks. My brother who is going through a similar sized remodel is now into month 18 with his company.
                      Naw, anybody can do this stuff if they have the time. The key is having the right tools for the job. Sometimes it's a lot cheaper to research and learn how to do stuff and spend a few bucks on tools than it is to hire someone to do the work. I pretty much know my limitations so I do what I can to save a few bucks and hire pros to do the shit I can't handle.

I couldn't measure, cut and install the quartz counter top, but I damn sure could take off the old one and save $500 in labor costs.

I'm going to tile the backsplash myself. A few years ago I bought a cheap wet saw, a tile cutter and have an angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut tile. Add a few trowels and assorted bullshit tools and I maybe spent 500 bucks. With those tools I've done two kitchen backsplashes, and four bathrooms. I probably saved at least 10k per bathroom in labor costs and another 5k+ on the backsplashes.

But as froot loops stated up thread, Sometimes your best tool is your wallet. For me, automotive repairs fall into that category. Ha!

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Once I get the rental finished we are gutting the kitchen in the house we live in. We are having cabinets built and will have new counter tops and sink and will replace all the old appliances. We bought a new refrigerator and took the one we were using to the rental because it was better than the one that was there . I have been putting off fixing shit in the kitchen because I didn't want to double down on the work, but the old faucet handle rotted off and we had to hold it in place to turn on the water. I couldn't' take it anymore so I went to Home Depot and bought a $50 piece of shit faucet to get us by until we can get around to getting the kitchen done.
                        Of course, the angle stops were all corroded to shit and broken off so I had to replace those before I could install the faucet. It was work I was planning on doing anyway, but it was still a shitty job.
                        I did it last weekend. I removed the garbage disposal while I was at it.
                        You can see the crappy Formica counter top and wallpaper that has to go in the last picture.

thumbnail_IMG_5182.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5179.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5180.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5192.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5193.jpg
                        You're hired to replace mine!

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

You're hired to replace mine!
                          I get paid by the hour and I'm so fucking slow that you can't afford me.

Comment

• Ah well, nevertheless. The countertops stay.

Comment

• Wow CGVT glad you are okay. Stroke is a big fear of mine because it took my grampa and my dad had several pin strokes.
                              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post
                                Wow CGVT glad you are okay. Stroke is a big fear of mine because it took my grampa and my dad had several pin strokes.
                                Thanks, Ed.

I'm really lucky that I recovered so quickly. You take for granted that you can do things and when all of a sudden you can't lift your leg to put your pants on it is quite a shock. The emotional roller coaster of the first couple of weeks of not knowing what normal would be was really tough. At 65 I felt that I had maybe 5 more years of being able to do the kind of things that I normally do and over night that was all out the window. PT has really helped. My balance is better now than it was before the stroke. I let myself gain about 30 lbs in the last six months or so and I have to drop the gross tonnage but who knows what the long term outlook is.

Comment

Working...
                                X