Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
    Wow! Thanks guys.

It came with 1 gig of RAM (2 512 cards) We added 2 gigs of RAM to the original so we now have a total of three. (all four slots are filled.

Top are you saying that it should have come with a better card than the NVDIA 5200? We didn't replace anything. The way it sits now (other than the added RAM) is how it show up when we ordered it.

Next question. If I upgrade to the ASUS AH4650/DI/1GD2 Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 AGP 8X HDCP Ready Video Card is it going to make a noticable difference?

Thanks again guys!
    In games nothing unless your really short on memory (below 1GB) or CPU (Early P4 or older) helps out as much as a video card upgrade. The video card on you have there is light years better then the one you have.

The original video card component of the Service tag you gave us was definitely a Radeon 9800 Pro (4th to third fastest of its generation). The Geforce 5200 was a very slow performer at the same time period. Both me an Coop saw the same thing so unless you gave us the wrong ST, your machine was originally configured with a Radeon 9800 pro with 128MB of Video memory.
    AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Thanks again guys. I ordered the ASUS AH4650/DI/1GD2 Radeon. My son is pretty excited...
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Hey guys, I received the new video card and plugged it in to my computer. The graphics are mch faster, but... I don't have any sound. Any suggestions (please keep it simple..Ha!)
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Turn the speakers on?
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Ha! I checked that.

Comment

Hey guys, I received the new video card and plugged it in to my computer. The graphics are mch faster, but... I don't have any sound. Any suggestions (please keep it simple..Ha!)
              I didn't really go over the specs. Does that have an HDMI out?

It does. The audio might be trying to get routed through the HDMI. You might be able to disable that in the ATI video settings.
              AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

Hey guys, I received the new video card and plugged it in to my computer. The graphics are mch faster, but... I don't have any sound. Any suggestions (please keep it simple..Ha!)
                I have a few suggestions for you...

1. Go to control panel, sound, and choose your sound card. It might be trying to point to something else since your new video card was installed. You might also need to disable this "something else" in the Device Manager.

2. Do you have "on board sound" or a separate sound card?

If you have on board sound, it might have been disabled in the BIOS when you installed the new video card. If so, that's an easy fix.

Reboot and while it is restarting hit the key that's specified to get into the BIOS/CMOS. Your screen might say "hit F1 to enter Setup" or something like that. Hit whatever key it says.

Once there, look for a "Enable onboard sound" setting. Set it to enabled, then save and exit.

3. If you don't have on board sound but instead have a separate sound card, try moving it to a diff slot. I've heard that AGP cards can disable certain PCI slots before, although I didn't really believe it.

Hardware is not my thing but those are some easy troubleshooting steps to start with till the guys around here can help.
                Last edited by -Deborah-; November 29, 2009, 12:04 PM. Reason: left out a step in #2
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
                  I didn't really go over the specs. Does that have an HDMI out?

It does. The audio might be trying to get routed through the HDMI. You might be able to disable that in the ATI video settings.
                  CG, this is what I was referring to in #1 above. If it changed your sound to HDMI, you'll need to change it back to your sound card...and you might need to disable the HDMI sound thing first.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• OK, I tried the easy fixes. How do I disable the HDMI off and change it back to my sound card?

Comment

• Hey!
                      I found it!!!

Thanks for the help. (again)

First couple of rounds are on me at the next forum game that I attend!

Comment

• Yay!
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Struggling with Surround Sound and real impact.

OK I am from the old school of a CD Player connected to an EQ connected to a Circuit Breaker Busting AMP (AMPS) connected to HUGE floorstanding speakers in a 12 x 20 room. I did start out with a turntable and cassette deck but I really hate to admit how old I am now.

I have been fiddling with surround sound for years now and I am still unimpressed, I figure it is my damaged ears or the flattening these fricking new receivers do to the sounds.

Long story short if I turn the receiver to stereo enhanced (7.2) I like it, when I move the receiver to movie mode or music mode I am just left there with woody but no climax.

I just threw some bones at a new Klipsch RSW-10d sub and while it is incredible and fun to flog during movies and music mode I am still bored.

When I started selling Adcom and Klipsch while in Active duty army at night at weekends I spent all my commission on my own equipment. I ended up with an Adcom GFA555 power amp (replaced by two Denon Mono Block amps, one for each speaker), Sony ES 5 carousel CD player, and two Klipsch Forte II speakers all connected with Monster cable. I would turn those mothers up and I think I would trickle down my leg in pure enjoyment.

Now I have I am trying to get into surround sound and I am just going nuts.

#1. I was brought up if you have to turn the dial past 9 o'clock (11 if you are drunk or impressing fellow idiots) you need a new amp. Now I am at -10db and wanting a lot more (which if you start at -70db takes a long fucking time to get there).

#2. While my bowels churn with the RSW-10d set at 0db, in LFE mode or 110hz crossover, I don't FEEL it.

I have a decent AV receiver (Denon AVR-3808), I've done the the tuning and tweaked it even though the remote is a nightmare to learn. Still not happy, I went an bought a cheaper simpler receiver yamaha V665 and honestly same effect. The Denon is spec's as much stronger but the volume is really the same at -10db.

I have 2 subs phased correctly now for diarreha inducing lows but still no impact.

Anybody else going thru the same thing or am I just whining too much.
                          Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Well you have definitely surpassed anything I would be willing to do.

I have an Onkyo system. I'm with you, I like stereo enhanced mode. The only other time I like it is when I'm playing a DVD and it automatically changes to DOLBY or THX or whatever the hell it is. It blows me away. I don't know that I really FEEL it, though. I've got the subwoofer pretty low, for one. But this system just doesn't own the house like my old (circa 1972) Sansui receiver and huge speakers once did. For a while, that bothered me. But I guess I've accepted it, I don't think about it anymore and it's not an issue.
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• the flattening these fricking new receivers do to the sounds.
                              I think you hit it on the head along with the way things are produced now. Everything is designed to play through shitty I-pods and tinny little speakers.

Comment

I think you hit it on the head along with the way things are produced now. Everything is designed to play through shitty I-pods and tinny little speakers.

what happened to sonic sound, the rumble of your house, the deafening of your ears, the explosive [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei=-PUVS87LJ5HWtgPpsbH9Aw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=re sult&cd=1&ved=0CAgQBSgA&q=diarrhea&spell=1"]diarrhea[/ame] (yes I had to google how to spell [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei=-PUVS87LJ5HWtgPpsbH9Aw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=re sult&cd=1&ved=0CAgQBSgA&q=diarrhea&spell=1"]diarrhea[/ame] ) a good system can create?
                                Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

Working...
                                X