OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UKBB View Post
    Filter Facebook emails into their own folder and never open them just delete them on occasion to keep the folder from getting too full. Like you said, only do Facebook from Facebook.
    No shit:-D

We both created new hotmail accounts and use them only for facebook and shit like that. I go into it every now and then and sweep them

What got my wife was a "status report" from one of her friends that showed up in her Hotmail account. She clicked on it and it sent all of her info to the scammer.

They changed the passwords and securty questions almost immediately. My wife was on Facebook when shit started going nuts, but they had already taken over her accounts and when she logged out she wasn't able to log in

They sent emails to all of her contacts asking for money and got on line and chatted with her facebook friends with the same story.

Some of her friends almost fell for it, even though the writing and grammar were atrocious. We got a bunch of "are you OK' phone calls.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
      Everyone should have a personal password tier system. ..
      Yeah, that's the way my passwords have evolved over a decade or so.

I have over 300 logins to manage, and not all of them need to be a password like X2yg!mnf^$qrz100
      The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• I just used that password ULF........, just managed to get 8 grand out of someones account!! Cheers for that buddy!!
        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
          I just used that password ULF........, just managed to get 8 grand out of someones account!! Cheers for that buddy!!
          That means after you buy a nice gift for the grandbaby and new parents, you will have plenty left over to buy a suite for next years forum game.

Hot Dog! Really looking forward to it!
          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I was hoping for some assistance from some of the IT folks in here:

We have had an issue with someone placing fake orders using different credit cards for payment each time. They use a different IP address so I'm guessing its a proxy. I have the IP addresses, if there's anything you could do to help me with more info I would appreciate it.

Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Someone smarter than me will have to tell you what the results mean. Looks like three distinct networks to me.
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Frank - how much verification of order processing are you doing?
                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Thanks Deb!

Coop -- not exactly sure what you're asking. These orders have been placed online and paid for with a credit card. They're all supposed to go to the same house (which is vacant). The system requires an email address and phone number when placing an order. The # used either doesn't work or nobody answers.

Comment

• Frank - you could try some sort of billing address verification.
                    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Coop, I don't really have any control at all over what verification is done. The corporate guys at Domino's are the ones who designed and control the website as far as online ordering goes. This is the info the website requires for credit card payment:

Credit Card Type:
                      Credit Card #:
                      Expiration Date:
                      Billing Zip Code:
                      Credit Card Security Code:

They also require your Name, an Email address and a callback phone number to place an order.

Comment

• I don't know how to translate IP to a working physical address. I would think that an IP address could be the provider (Comcast), and not the home address.

Assuming that Domino's verifies the validity of the credit card at the time of order, and with the delivery address being a vacant lot, what does the scammer have to gain? Is the scammer using a valid card for someone else, and doing this to give you guys grief? I am missing something obvious.

Comment

• Hmmmmmmm.

If the security code is valid, that means trouble.

Supposedly, the only way one should know the security code is by possessing the credit card. Unless they are skimming the numbers from another operation that requires the security code, that is the built in mechanism the credit card companies use to prevent fraud.

This is an issue with Corporate since they are the ones that administer the online order site. Your location should be compensated by Corporate for any loss incurred.
                          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Frank - you're doing then about as much verification as you'd need - tracing an IP would need to involve the ISP I think. Even that's not necessarily going to help you much.
                            Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Getting my wife a new iPhone...don't know if it's better (or maybe it doesn't matter) to buy the phone off apple.com or directly from the carrier website.
                              "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• no real difference Mason - I don't know that you get any other incentives going via carrier.
                                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X