No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes Apple has Black Friday deals in-store, that would be your only chance for anything below $199 for the base model 4s
    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• dean - I'd be SHOCKED to see apple lower prices on either iphone 4s or Ipad - generally doesn't happen.
      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Our company gets deals from the providers. Usually $50 off the phone and 17% off monthly bill
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Asus is releasing their new Tranformer Prime tab next month. It has a keyboard base that adds 6 hours to the bat life and is thinner than an iphone4s. Quad core. New Android ice cream sandwich OS. I think might finally get a tablet. With a real keyboard, for me, a person that doesn't like using virtual keyboards, it would be the ultimate portable email/web browser/blog and news reader. Replace the need for a laptop for anything lightweight. Also doubling as big GPS in the car and again as a portable movie/tv show screen when traveling.

For three weeks now, Android fans have been fidgeting impatiently. Specifically, ever since ASUS chairman Jonney Shih took the stage at last month's AsiaD conference and teased the next-gen Transformer tablet. Though he only gave us a quick glimpse, he recited a laundry list of specs: a 10.1-inch display, 8.3mm-thick body, mini-HDMI output, microSD slot and an update to Ice Cream Sandwich by the end of the year, if not sooner. Not to mention, it'll pack NVIDIA's hot-off-the-presses Tegra 3 SoC, making it the first-ever quad-core tablet. We knew this: we'd learn more on November 9th. Well, that day has come, and so have the juicy details. We just got word that the tablet will go on sale worldwide in December, starting at $499 with a beefy 32GB of storage, moving up to $599 for a 64GB model. (That signature keyboard dock you see up there will cost $149.) In addition to those basic specs Mr. Shih revealed last month, we now know this has a 1280 x 800, Super IPS+ Gorilla Glass display with a 178-degree viewing angle and a max brightness of 600 nits. It also packs 1GB of RAM, GPS, a gyroscope, SonicMaster audio and a 1.2 megapixel front-facing camera. Rounding out the list is an 8MP shooter with an auto-focusing f/2.4 lens and a back-illuminated CMOS sensor that captures 1080p video. Touch-to-focus is also an option here, and ASUS claims a 30 percent boost in color enhancement over competing tabs. As for battery life, we initially heard reports of 14.5-hour runtime, but ASUS is now saying the tablet alone can squeeze out 12 hours thanks to a 22Wh battery, and that the dock will add an additional six hours of juice. In addition, the slimmed-down, 1.2-pound dock brings all the other benefits the last-gen model offered, including a touchpad, USB 2.0 port and full-sized SD slot. Software-wise, it'll ship with Android 3.2 and apps such as SuperNote and Polaris Office, and we're told we'll learn more about that ICS update in "early December." In terms of design, you may have already noticed the Prime sports the same spun aluminum digs as the company's Zenbooks, though this is the first time we're seeing clear, close-up shots of it -- and in two colors, no less! At 8.3mm (0.33 inches) thick and 586 grams (1.29 pounds) without the dock, it's a smidge skinnier than the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1, which means, unsurprisingly, that your old Transformer dock won't be compatible. Finally, ASUS coated both the display and metal cover with a hydro-oleophobic coating that makes it more fingerprint-resistant. For now, we've got photos below and if you can wait a few more weeks, we'll most definitely be putting this thing through its paces in a full review. And if you're looking for something a little less expensive, well, the original Transformer should be getting Ice Cream Sandwich soon, and we wouldn't be surprised if Santa brought a few holiday rebates. %Gallery-138833%
          Last edited by nhwbrooklyn; November 16, 2011, 04:20 PM.
          Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg H View Post
            I hear ya. I've been waiting for this phone since it was unveiled at CES back in January.
            Despite drooling over the Bionic since January, I never actually got the phone. Instead, I ended up with the Droid Razr. It's pretty sweet, I'm glad I waited. Of course the "next big thing" will probably be released in a few weeks...
            "We'll know for the first time if we're evil or divine. We're the last in line." - Ronnie James Dio

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
              Asus is releasing their new Tranformer Prime tab next month. It has a keyboard base that adds 6 hours to the bat life and is thinner than an iphone4s. Quad core. New Android ice cream sandwich OS. I think might finally get a tablet. With a real keyboard, for me, a person that doesn't like using virtual keyboards, it would be the ultimate portable email/web browser/blog and news reader. Replace the need for a laptop for anything lightweight. Also doubling as big GPS in the car and again as a portable movie/tv show screen when traveling.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/09/t...splay-12-hour/

Thanks for this bit
              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Yeah that looks pretty sweet.
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Greg what kind of battery life do you get with the Droid Razr? I have my original Droid but any new phone means giving up unlimited data for a new plan
                  Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post

Thanks for this bit
                    Make sure you note it's the "prime" version that isn't out yet. The regular Asus transformer is a simular set up and has been out for a while now (good reviews and it should be cheap once the "prime" comes out so it might still be a good option that is easier on the wallet).
                    Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                      Greg what kind of battery life do you get with the Droid Razr? I have my original Droid but any new phone means giving up unlimited data for a new plan
                      Misconception. You can still grandfather into an unlimited plan on a new upgrade. Just make sure the CSR doesn't screw up the plan, go over it 2 or three times, and mention keeping your plan unlimited like 12 times.
                      AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                        Make sure you note it's the "prime" version that isn't out yet. The regular Asus transformer is a simular set up and has been out for a while now (good reviews and it should be cheap once the "prime" comes out so it might still be a good option that is easier on the wallet).
                        Yep. I have the original and am looking at getting the Prime next year. Mainly because while I like the original and its a great piece of hardware. Everything about the Prime is spectacular and still has price competitiveness with the Ipad2.

FYI. Just keep in mind that both items the Keyboard isn't included and the two only work with the tablet they were released for.
                        AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

Greg what kind of battery life do you get with the Droid Razr? I have my original Droid but any new phone means giving up unlimited data for a new plan
                          As was mentioned earlier, you are grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan. I had the original Droid with unlimited data and the process to keep the unlimited plan was seemless. Battery life is not bad. I make sure to keep the phone charged as much as possible, though I wouldn't be classified as a heavy user (i.e., streaming movies, etc.) I can get through the day without any problems.
                          "We'll know for the first time if we're evil or divine. We're the last in line." - Ronnie James Dio

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg H View Post
                            As was mentioned earlier, you are grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan. I had the original Droid with unlimited data and the process to keep the unlimited plan was seemless. Battery life is not bad. I make sure to keep the phone charged as much as possible, though I wouldn't be classified as a heavy user (i.e., streaming movies, etc.) I can get through the day without any problems.
                            Yeah big tips would be to keep LTE off unless you need it and turn the power settings on low. The plus side the Razr has one of if not the biggest battery of the current Android crop, but bad side is that it isn't swappable (to keep the phone small but battery large) and LTE can be a power hog.
                            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• My every effort to go through the process online at Verizon strips away my current unlimited data and messaging plans. They just won't permit it

Comment

My every effort to go through the process online at Verizon strips away my current unlimited data and messaging plans. They just won't permit it
                                Go into the store, you should not only be able to keep your 3G unlimited but also upgrade to 4g without losing unlimited.
                                AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

Working...
                                X