No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the past I've owned a Cannon pocket camera, and now I have one of the Panasonic Lumix cameras. They both were great. I went with the Lumix because I wanted a wider-angle lens.

The only problem is that I've gotten some debris inside the lens of the Lumix and I have to get it repaired (they can blow the debris out with an air cannister). Otherwise it has been a fantastic camera. I can't remember exactly which model I have though. We use it both as a camera and as an HD video recorder.
    Last edited by Jamie H; December 6, 2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Smart phones are getting closer and closer to marginalizing pocket cameras just like GPS units and portable music players.
      Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Only when they drastically up the storage capacity. I use a 160 GB iPad and my Garmin is superior to any phone gps
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Local storage of music on portable devices will go away as well and Garmin is done for unless they start giving away GPS units for free (built in location based advertisements maybe?).
          Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
            Asus is releasing their new Tranformer Prime tab next month. It has a keyboard base that adds 6 hours to the bat life and is thinner than an iphone4s. Quad core. New Android ice cream sandwich OS. I think might finally get a tablet. With a real keyboard, for me, a person that doesn't like using virtual keyboards, it would be the ultimate portable email/web browser/blog and news reader. Replace the need for a laptop for anything lightweight. Also doubling as big GPS in the car and again as a portable movie/tv show screen when traveling.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/09/t...splay-12-hour/
            I'm definitely in the market for an Android tablet. I like the reviews on the Asus Prime but my buddy bought the Sony S and thinks I should look at that one.

Personally I think the prime will be a much better machine (duh) but have yet to discover whether or not Android tablets can run Flash and Shockwave yet as I haven't played with them much yet.

Comment

• The sony is supposed to be a solid device but I think the prime will be significantly better than anything else from both the performance standpoint (first use of quad core cpu) and the versatility with optional keyboard (big plus for me).

Comment

• Originally posted by PackFanInChiTown View Post
                I'm definitely in the market for an Android tablet. I like the reviews on the Asus Prime but my buddy bought the Sony S and thinks I should look at that one.

Personally I think the prime will be a much better machine (duh) but have yet to discover whether or not Android tablets can run Flash and Shockwave yet as I haven't played with them much yet.
                Android devices running 2.2 and up (but not ICS/4.0 which the prime is not yet running) run flash. ICS will get an flash update, but don't expect many devices released in 2012 not running one of those two to get it.
                AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Well what'ya know ... I'm going to the CES!!

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
                    Well what'ya know ... I'm going to the CES!!
                    Nice!

Check out the GM/OnStar/cadillac and Verizon booths. Some stuff I worked on will be shown there.

Comment

• Looking to get my wife a tablet for Xmas. She mostly just wants it to stream video over our wi-fi. I'm thinking about just getting here an Amazon Fire since it is cheap and she already has a Kindle and uses Prime. Plus, I don't really want to buy a device that requires another monthly charge.

Will she really be missing out vs. the better Android tablets due to the fact that Amazon branched the Android code, so the Fire isn't truly an Android tablet? If so, are there other tablets for reasonable cost ($ < 400) that I should be looking at for her?

I can build a mean PC from scratch, but I know nothing about the tablets so far because I personally have no use for one. But you gotta keep the wife happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamie H View Post
                        Looking to get my wife a tablet for Xmas. She mostly just wants it to stream video over our wi-fi. I'm thinking about just getting here an Amazon Fire since it is cheap and she already has a Kindle and uses Prime. Plus, I don't really want to buy a device that requires another monthly charge.

Will she really be missing out vs. the better Android tablets due to the fact that Amazon branched the Android code, so the Fire isn't truly an Android tablet? If so, are there other tablets for reasonable cost ($ < 400) that I should be looking at for her?

I can build a mean PC from scratch, but I know nothing about the tablets so far because I personally have no use for one. But you gotta keep the wife happy.
                        The fire is limited in many ways compared to some of the more expensive tablets (just one example is that the fire has no GPS unit) but it also has big advantages for simplicity and ease of use. Also the price is great for what you get. Amazon takes a loss on each one because they expect to make money back as people order books and movies and tv shows through them through the fire.

Comment

• Yeah, that was kind of what I thought. My wife uses her laptop ALL the time so I don't think she needs a full featured tablet. She'd just like something more convenient than a laptop and bigger than her phone when she's on the treadmill or lying in bed and wants to stream Netflix or Hulu. Or even just do basic web browsing.

I think I may get her a Fire. The price is right, she loves Amazon, and I really don't want a tablet with a monthly fee for cellular access.

Comment

• I just got the wife a Fire... perfect for her limited needs to browse, read e-mail, shop, and read books.
                            The only logical explanation is:
                            I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• I won a iPad at a Christmas party raffle Friday night. My wife loves it.
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                                I won a iPad at a Christmas party raffle Friday night. My wife loves it.
                                iPad or iPad2?

Nice raffle prize either way

I use my wifes ip2 as a surfer all the time now.

Her xmas party gave away a Kindle Fire. Nice xmas gifts this year all around the country I see.
                                19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

Working...
                                X