OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
    it's in the lower right corner...little widget that pops up. Has anyone noticed the lack of "control panel" in the consumer preview of 8?
    Took me an extra couple seconds to find it. Eventually I know I am going to love it but I probably won't get used to it till it is released. I am going to wait till I can get a X86 tablet for it before putting it on my desktop, and i still might not, the subsystem is still Win 7 at heart.
    AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• That start button app has a "shut down" option if you right click the button. I had the same problem with finding the power down options too.

The laptop I have it on is also a tablet, so I am enjoying the touch stuff. I'm with TW though, it's going to take a long time to get used to it.
      2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• The XPS 13 is gorgeous and I like it alot. Lots of compliments on it, too.

Gonna put Win 8 on it tomorrow.
        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• be curious to see what you think about 8 Deb....
          Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• What do you like best about the XPS 13 Deb? What would you change?
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Coop, wow Win 8 is crazy. I don't want to teach this OS at the college where I teach and I don't want to support this OS at work either lol. And FOR GODS SAKE DO NOT GIVE THIS OS TO MY PARENTS. They would keep me busy for weeks with their questions.

But, I think it will be PERFECT for a tablet.

As to the XPS 13, I can't think of anything I'd change really yet. The Gorilla glass is prone to finger prints, so I try to stay mindful of that, but otherwise, wow, it's superfast, lightweight, easy to use. Perfect for what I wanted it for: A computer for the living room area where I can get on and off it fast and something for occasional travel or mobile uses.

The touchpad is probably the best I've ever seen. I have NOT had the urge to attach a mouse at all yet - which is saying something for me. Also, the location of the page down/up buttons is perfect for web surfing mouseless. I am really thrilled with it.
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I have yet to meet a touchpad that I like - interesting. 8 seems kind of half baked - I can't see a "killer feature" worthy of upgrading. It is only a "preview" so I guess I will try to give benefit of the doubt - did you find "control panel" ?
                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Yep I found it.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFzJxGwqpOU"]The Gentlemen's Rant: iPad - YouTube[/ame]
                    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Moving away from windows 8 for a moment...Btw was going to try it until I saw my system is too old to support it.....I puchased D-link's boxee....review on cnet were less than flattering, but imo it is fabulous.....when I opened it this morning, this was the one of the main page features.....

Comment

• Yeah win 8 is made for touch screens in mind.

Basically wait till you get a touch screen monitor or a future windows tablet to worry about it.

I'd give it a year or two... and by then we might get a better idea if Android and what ever Apple OS is going to replace windows all together or not.
                        Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Windoze is so '90s
                          Atlanta, GA

Comment

• El Gato,

You took my lead on the Boxee eh?

19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Saw this getting a bit low so I thought I would bump it and mention that I finished my new computer about 8 days or so ago.

The configuration was this
                              Intel DX79SI
                              Intel i7-3930k
                              Corsair H80 CPU cooler
                              32GB 1600 DDR3
                              Sapphire Radeon 3GB 7950OC
                              256GB Crucial M4 SSD
                              3TB Seagate Barracuda
                              Asus 12x Blu Ray Burner
                              850W CoolerMaster Silent pro Hybrid (more on this later).
                              All packed away in the Awesome and Huge CoolerMaster HAF X (with wheels).

All in all probably the best I ever felt about a machine I have created. For all its power its also amazingly quiet. The case itself doesn't hide noise that well, but big fans spinning slowly move so much air that it stays really quiet. Though I went to a bit of trouble to pull this off. The Power supply won't spin up its fan till the power draw is over 200w. It came with a fan controller which 3 fans are connected to, which spins up based on power draw. Then I have the H80 which I have set the fans up so one fan is blowing across the radiator and out of the case and one on the opposite side of the radiator pulling air out of the case. The H80 has a manual fan control I have set to lowest speed, and an automatic pump control that will increase the water it pushes as temps increase. With everything set up that way. I can't hear the computer over the vents in the house, and when gaming or pushing the either the CPU of video card, none of them auto increases to barely above audible. My Xbox and PS3 are louder. I was pretty surprised how it all turned out really. To much high end hardware to be that quiet. Even the Blu-Ray drive is works nearly silently. I thought the days of well designed optical drives were dead. I want to say that its not silent. Just that its sits generally below the other noises in the house so that I can't hear it. If for example noise levels in the house were near silent, it would sound like a slow spinning ceiling fan.

Eventual goal is to run a virtual corporate network on it, to practice for certification, and get used to environments prior to roll-outs at work. So I am really anxious to find out how well it does that and game at the same time.
                              Last edited by Topweasel; May 1, 2012, 03:12 PM.
                              AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Thanks for the bump. I wondered why Mark was posting his PC problems in the Forum Admin thread!

Your new machine sounds pretty darn awesome.
                                #birdsarentreal

Comment

Working...
                                X