No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thnk the btteries n my wrlesskebord geting low.
    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Now see, I understood that!
      It's so flat you can watch your dog run away for three days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
        Now Linksys is a cripped brand - have been ever since Cisco acquired them.
        Not true. Cisco has been using that name for a lot longer then you think. The problem started when Cisco started labeling themselves on it. For the longest time Linksys was a quality manufacturer that stood up well with the best of them. But they had their own development teams. Problem is as home and small business networking stuff got cheaper and more advanced, Cisco started to get worried that it would cut into a pretty big price of their non-corporate sales (that and the high end stuff has been seeing HP creeping up on them for years). At that point they started killing off a lot of the higher quality parts, going with simpler designs, features, and build cost, and then throwing Cisco's name on a sticker saying hey if you want better then get a real Cisco. Now they just rebrand someone elses junk for the "Linksys" product lines and calls them Cisco.
        AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
          Yeah, I was drowning in the reviews for the Linksys models - wow people hate their new cloud stuff!

Here's the one I opted for. Again, way pricey but should be forward compatible. And I figure my old one lasted long enough to justify this one? Or something. lol

Amazon.com: NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC 1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300): Computers & Accessories
          And Kansas fixes another technical problem. I should start charging for this.
          It's so flat you can watch your dog run away for three days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
            Not true. Cisco has been using that name for a lot longer then you think. The problem started when Cisco started labeling themselves on it. For the longest time Linksys was a quality manufacturer that stood up well with the best of them. But they had their own development teams. Problem is as home and small business networking stuff got cheaper and more advanced, Cisco started to get worried that it would cut into a pretty big price of their non-corporate sales (that and the high end stuff has been seeing HP creeping up on them for years). At that point they started killing off a lot of the higher quality parts, going with simpler designs, features, and build cost, and then throwing Cisco's name on a sticker saying hey if you want better then get a real Cisco. Now they just rebrand someone elses junk for the "Linksys" product lines and calls them Cisco.
            Isn't that more or less what I just said? crippled the brand?
            Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• But it allowed him to push his knowledge of the home network routing business

Comment

• Holy crow, I am up to my eyes in certification studying. I'm getting too old for this stuff. And I have to embark on a string of 5 tests in a few months. At least I think its 5, it might be more. 3 immediately. This stuff cements the fact that I can't ever go back to like a real college program again.

Comment

• What certification are you after? That's one thing I never pursued, but want to.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Well I'm doing the CompTIA Linux+. I had originally planned on doing the barebones SUSE CLA, but if you pass the CompTIA one you get that Certification and the SUSE CLA. Then I have to go for the HP-UX sys admin cert and HP Blade Certification.

I generally don't do these certs but the group I'm in really emphasizes them as they use our resumes to sell the contracts and its part of the yearly goals.

Comment

• When I passed the top license in my field I swore I would never again go for another license. Fortunately I've had the luxury of not having too.
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• That's great, FL. You are far geekier than I! ;)

I've been working as a SQL developer since I went to Dell, so I'd like to get certified in that arena.
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                          When I passed the top license in my field I swore I would never again go for another license. Fortunately I've had the luxury of not having too.
                          Was this guy your mentor?

Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                            lol!

I have a weird thing I'm stumped on:

Every Tuesday, the wireless on my router at home stops working. I'll unplug the router and the wireless resumes. After this happened last Tuesday, I upgraded the firmware on the router. Yesterday, the wireless went out again.

What the ???
                            Deb, do you have any other devices that infrequently connect to your router...say every week on Tuesday? I have a DVD player that connects wirelessly, and when I power it up, it will knock other devices offline until I pull the plug on the router and reset my environment.

It is a strange one, but it got me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                              Isn't that more or less what I just said? crippled the brand?
                              My point wasn't that Cisco didn't cripple them, just that Cisco didn't just all of a sudden purchase them and start crippling them right away. They have owned them for a decade or so now. They had owned Linksys before Linksys peaked and really the crippling didn't start happening till 2010. It wasn't Cisco bought Linksys then made Linksys sucked, they had much to do with their success as they did with their downfall.
                              AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Bim, I had thought of that, also. My TiVo is the only thing that connects infrequently, I think it's about daily though, not weekly.
                                #birdsarentreal

Comment

Working...
                                X