OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my multi-button mouse. It rules
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Anyone going to get one of these? If I were in the market for a tablet, I'd consider it...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0m6tq8vK7E"]Microsoft Surface overview - YouTube[/ame]
      Last edited by -Deborah-; October 16, 2012, 04:09 PM.
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• 5 things to consider

Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Good find!

I would hope that I wouldn't want to use full Windows software on a tablet, outside of the Office Suite, but it might be a consideration for some.

Does the iPad run full Mac software? Serious question, I haven't touched a Mac/Apple since like 1988. lol
          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• deb - it's not a perfect experience, but yes.

I bought an ipad for my son as he's using one at school. Didn't see much use for it otherwise, but I'll admit I find myself using it more than I thought I would.
            Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
              Anyone going to get one of these? If I were in the market for a tablet, I'd consider it...

Microsoft Surface overview - YouTube

Yep :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                deb - it's not a perfect experience, but yes.
                So you couldn't run it natively without hacks, is what I'm guessing?

Anyways, my point is, it's a tablet not a laptop. It's meant to compete with the iPad, not a desktop PC. I think the success really hinges on Microsoft's app store.
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Microsoft has a slate version that has full windows 8 that will run any PC program that already works on windows 7.

Then they have a version that's more like lite windows 8 that is powered more like a tablet than a laptop.

There will be a boat load of windows 8 tablet/laptop hybrids available pretty soon to choose from. I'd wait to see what samsung and asus offer there.
                  Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post

The optical trackball mouse was a godsend for me. No need for a mousepad -- ever again.
                    Look at the balls on that mouse... (or ball rather).
                    Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

So you couldn't run it natively without hacks, is what I'm guessing?

Anyways, my point is, it's a tablet not a laptop. It's meant to compete with the iPad, not a desktop PC. I think the success really hinges on Microsoft's app store.
                      to put it succinctly - ever tried using excel without a mouse?
                      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

Good find!

I would hope that I wouldn't want to use full Windows software on a tablet, outside of the Office Suite, but it might be a consideration for some.

Does the iPad run full Mac software? Serious question, I haven't touched a Mac/Apple since like 1988. lol
                        It depends on the Surface. The Surface RT is running what will basically be the same thing as the Windows 8 phone called Windows RT. It is not full windows software, Microsoft is trying to make it seem like its Windows 8 without the desktop, but for all intents and purposes, its the iOS version of Mac OSX to Windows. Deep down they use the same base Kernal, but in the end Windows RT is just a media consumption OS like iOS and Android, and Windows 8 is a full blown Desktop/Laptop OS.

Its can get kind of confusing. Specially since the Phones call it Windows 8. And Microsoft is making it more confusing because they are trying to minimize the actual differences.
                        AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
                          It depends on the Surface. The Surface RT is running what will basically be the same thing as the Windows 8 phone called Windows RT. It is not full windows software, Microsoft is trying to make it seem like its Windows 8 without the desktop, but for all intents and purposes, its the iOS version of Mac OSX to Windows. Deep down they use the same base Kernal, but in the end Windows RT is just a media consumption OS like iOS and Android, and Windows 8 is a full blown Desktop/Laptop OS.

Its can get kind of confusing. Specially since the Phones call it Windows 8. And Microsoft is making it more confusing because they are trying to minimize the actual differences.
                          Think we're of the same opinion, Top. My post was in reaction to the article Tony posted citing RT as a reason to reconsider Surface. My take is that if you think you need full-blown Windows software, you're likely not needing a tablet, you need a laptop. I think it will compete well with the iPad *if* the Windows app store really gets rolling.

On a related note, I'm considering a Windows phone for my next phone, but only if the apps I use everyday on Android appear on Windows...
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

Think we're of the same opinion, Top. My post was in reaction to the article Tony posted citing RT as a reason to reconsider Surface. My take is that if you think you need full-blown Windows software, you're likely not needing a tablet, you need a laptop. I think it will compete well with the iPad *if* the Windows app store really gets rolling.
                            Okay, sorry that read more as a bit of confusion then argumentative. But rereading your post, I can see where I misunderstood.

Complaining about the RT for not being a full Windows is kind of stupid considering the Pro version coming out a couple months later and the litany of Atom and i3/i5 Pro Tablets also coming out. Next year will be a real test to see if people are looking for more usability in their tablets. Me, I don't think so and I don't see those tablets making nearly the dent in Laptop sales as some may hope. On top of all that, its not like the RT is a less capable tablet then an Ipad or Android tablet and as you say it, iOS doesn't natively run Mac OSX software either.
                            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
                              Okay, sorry that read more as a bit of confusion then argumentative. But rereading your post, I can see where I misunderstood.

Complaining about the RT for not being a full Windows is kind of stupid considering the Pro version coming out a couple months later and the litany of Atom and i3/i5 Pro Tablets also coming out. Next year will be a real test to see if people are looking for more usability in their tablets. Me, I don't think so and I don't see those tablets making nearly the dent in Laptop sales as some may hope. On top of all that, its not like the RT is a less capable tablet then an Ipad or Android tablet and as you say it, iOS doesn't natively run Mac OSX software either.
                              Judging by the number of people in my meetings who pull out an iPad then stand it up and attach a keyboard - I'd say there's a good market.

Comment

• can someone tell me WHY the ipad supports a keyboard but not a mouse ?????
                                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X