OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
    BTW The spotify app works for basically every single OS available and it's all synced. I make a playlist on my pc, I can listen to it immediately on my ipad, android, or another computer anywhere.

I obviously can't recommend it enough. Apple tried to thwart it from coming to the U.S. for good reason.
    Another good use for a Bluetooth connection. Have you ever used Songza?

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
    A bud at work may be testing this out. His son has been downloading music. (w/o paying for it) All of a sudden he got 31 e-mails saying he had downloaded a song w/o artists permission. He could avoid court by paying $20/song and then gave a site to go to and give a credit card too. Otherwise he would be sued to the fullest extent of the law and have to pay all lawyers fees etc.
    I'd be very suspicious of that.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• SLF, Even more suspicious? The e-mails came at 2 a.m.
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I don't think there is any chance I would pay a frigging thing.
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I had a similar situation where my roommate had downloaded a song off Frostwire. I got an email from my ISP that looked like this:
          Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Abuse Incident Number: NA0000027362208
          Report Date/Time: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:49:16 -0500

FRANK VAN DUSEN
          MY ADDRESS
          MY CITY

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Customer Security Assurance
          Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
          1800 Bishops Gate Blvd., 3rd Floor East Wing
          Mount Laurel, NJ 08054 U.S.A.
          Phone: (888) 565-4329
          Fax: (856) 324-2940

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,
          Comcast Customer Security Assurance

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:
          Nowhere did I have to pay any money. All I had to do was have my roommate delete the song listed and I haven't had any issues since. Like SLF said, I'd be very wary about sending money. Sounds like a scam to me.
          Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Handsome phone Deb. I hope Windows has success in the mobile arena. The more competition the better. And the smart tiles interface has tons of potential (all it is really is integrating a built in widget framework but it's very very well done).

While Microsoft has often been written off for dead with smart phones, one thing they got going for them right now is that they might be able to leverage windows 8 and the xbox platforms to make their mobile offering more enticing. I really like how all 3 interfaces are feeling more and more visually alike and "unified".
            Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
              Another good use for a Bluetooth connection. Have you ever used Songza?
              Nope. I literally have no reason to try any other music platform anymore. I don't know what they could do better right now with Spotify.

I prefer to just plug in using an auxiliary jack instead of bluetooth. With Bluetooth I have to remember to turn it on or off on my phone and so it saves no time over just physically plugging the phone into the aux jack. Maybe if you are someone that leaves bluetooth always on it would be better. We're talking about in a car right?

I do know I love using airplay on my IPad over wifi to stream my spotify to my home receiver unit. That works great. I leave the Ipad upright in the kitchen and can stream the music and control the music from there.
              Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
                I had a similar situation where my roommate had downloaded a song off Frostwire. I got an email from my ISP that looked like this:

Nowhere did I have to pay any money. All I had to do was have my roommate delete the song listed and I haven't had any issues since. Like SLF said, I'd be very wary about sending money. Sounds like a scam to me.
                Nice thing about Comcast, they have been really steadfast into not giving user information to the AA's. You won't see any thing come from that letter. They are basically saying that someone told them you were illegally downloading stuff, so they send you that letter to limit their liability. It's why a lot of ISP's are adopting this 6 strikes system. It gets some of the pressure from the AA's off their back without leaving their customers out to dry.
                AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Still up in the air between a tablet or an ultrabook
                  Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                    Still up in the air between a tablet or an ultrabook
                    Get both. There are already very nice hybrid touch laptop PC's out there and it won't be long before apple releases a hybrid system of their own (I would guess maybe the end of summer 2013 but that's totally a guess).

Comment

• Get the best deals on Lenovo laptops, tablets and PCs at our computer store. Shop now and save big!call our sales team ☎ 1-855-2-LENOVO (1-855-253-6686)

Comment

• Here is an all in one that actually is kinda portable because they built it as a gigantic tablet.

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                          My new phone as of yesterday!!

It's the Nokia Lumia 920. It has Windows Phone 8 and comes in a few really sharp colors (I seriously debated on red, but wound up choosing white instead). The HTC 8X also is a very sharp phone, but the Nokia has vastly superior specs.

I spent the last day learning the thing...moving from Android to WP was a big shift! But, wow, it's really nice.

To get this phone, I dumped T-Mobile and went to AT&T. I went from having NO SIGNAL at my house to full strength 4G LTE! Whoo hoo!!!

Edit: Link to a full review of this phone: http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920-review
                          Man, that is the phone I want so bad but I have to wait for Nokia to stop signing only with ATT for their flagship stuff.
                          AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Are you going to check out the HTC 8X instead, then? I really think that phone looks sharp! It would be a great substitute!!
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Nice phone, Deb! I'm hoping when it comes time to upgrade to my next phone there's a WP8 alternative available here. I'd love to have all my stuff running the same OS platform.
                              2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                                My new phone as of yesterday!!

It's the Nokia Lumia 920. It has Windows Phone 8 and comes in a few really sharp colors (I seriously debated on red, but wound up choosing white instead). The HTC 8X also is a very sharp phone, but the Nokia has vastly superior specs.

I spent the last day learning the thing...moving from Android to WP was a big shift! But, wow, it's really nice.

To get this phone, I dumped T-Mobile and went to AT&T. I went from having NO SIGNAL at my house to full strength 4G LTE! Whoo hoo!!!

Edit: Link to a full review of this phone: http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920-review
                                That's the one I'm going to get too (right down to the color).

I wasn't seriously considering the 920 due to its size and weight. But once I actually held it I realized neither was a real concern.

Comment

Working...
                                X