No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• like I said ... I'm not waiting at all. It's pre-ordered. I don't need a super powerful machine. I don't edit movies or photographs etc.

However .... if something comes to market that is close to it and maybe a few $$$ cheaper I'd look.
    Forever One!

Comment

• OK, I have a question for you tablet experts. What OS would the Kindle Fire HD run?

My daughter only wants one thing for Christmas, she's asking for a Ipad. But she says any tablet would be sufficient. Basically she wants to be able to play games. I want to make it has a good camera and is able to run the app Coaches Eye. The problem is solved if we got the Ipad. It does all of these things, but I can't spend 500 dollars.

Coaches Eye runs on iOS and now it runs on Android. From what I looked, the Kindle Fire runs an Android OS with ice cream sandwich. I have no idea what that means. I'm not sure it would run the app, but I don't want to buy it and find out it doesn't work.

Comment

• I don't know the answer to your question, but that looks like a cool app
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Kindle Fire is out. It doesn't have a video camera.

Comment

• I got a Nexus 7 for my son. It's about the same price as the Fire (I'm getting that for my daughter...)

The best price I found was directly from google, btw.
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Does it record video?

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                I got a Nexus 7 for my son. It's about the same price as the Fire (I'm getting that for my daughter...)

The best price I found was directly from google, btw.
                Good man, your son will love it.

In other news, did you guys see the Dell Ubuntu developer Ultrabook they are trying to pimp? It doesn't make any sense to me, it costs more than the same computer that comes with Windows....how can one cost more than the other when the more expensive one is the one that uses a FREE open source OS?

I'll try and find a link to what I'm talking about here.
                2013 2014 AAL: Glover Quin #27

Comment

• I'm pretty sure that it does... well not that sure. Ha. I guess I'll check

Yep, but not in HD

As released, the Nexus 7 tablet includes a 1.2 Megapixel front-facing camera. Even though the camera supports taking pictures at a resolution of 1280 x 960, recording video is limited to a paltry 480p resolution. It turns out the inability to record HD 720p video isn’t a hardware limitation; engineers at either Google or Asus simply didn’t bother telling the Nexus 7 how to record in 720p.

Comment

• That shouldn't be a problem. coaches eye doesn't record in HD

Comment

• Ice Cream Sandwich is the name for Android 4.0. Looking at Coaches Eye on Google Play, I see it is compatible with my son's tablet, which is Android 4.0.

So it should work with any Android tablet running ICS. It seems to me you would want a rear-facing camera to run that app, because you'll want to be looking at the screen as you're recording. Many of the tablets will have both a front-facing and rear-facing camera, so look for that feature and get the resolution you want.
                      The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• This stuff is all greek to me. If you ask me about crap on a high powered server, I might have an answer. Tablets, I have no idea. In looking at the various tablets and features you need with the money maybe the iPad mini is the way to go. Some of the lower price tablets don't look like they have the rear facing camera.

Comment

• The microsoft tablet has a "kids corner" mode that limits what they can do with it. I have no idea if it's any good but you could google for reviews of that feature.

Apple and Android blow Microsoft away in app options though.
                          Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• well Brook ... much to my surprise that Sony Vaio shipped today. I wasn't expecting it until the 10th.

I'll let you know what I think.
                            Forever One!

Comment

• I just crossed over to the dark side. I'll still use android phones and real PCs, not macs, but I got an iPad 4 for myself for christmas.
                              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Masspartan View Post
                                well Brook ... much to my surprise that Sony Vaio shipped today. I wasn't expecting it until the 10th.

I'll let you know what I think.
                                It might be awesome mass. I have no idea. I'll bet it will be perfect for having it sitting on your lap so you can bitch about the play calls on this forum while watching the lions play

I hhope you have thick shaggy carpet though. I'd be very worried about dropping it.
                                Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

Working...
                                X