No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The update from Win 8 to Win 8.1 went smoothly today. Login to the Windows Store to get it. Took about an hour, but no problems so far and it's nice having a "boot to desktop" setting.
    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Darnit, I was going to get that started this morning before work. Oh well, I'll get it sorted tonight when I get home.
      2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• And the start button??
        Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• It's there, but different from the start button we all expect. The default is to just toggle to the start menu when the button is pressed. I changed the default to display all programs instead. So it's slightly more useful.
          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• just go get classic shell or 8start

8.1 still blows unless you have a phone or tablet
            Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• I think I'm looking for a new hybrid.

If any of you aspiring computer mfg. types could make this, id buy for up to $2k

Portable tap screen Laptop/Desktop replacement hybrid type Tablet

4th gen Intel? Core? i7-4610Y (1.70GHz / 2.90GHz3 with Turbo Boost10) or greatest upgrade to this
              23" Full HD IPS touch display (2560X1440) with 4k full size hdmi output
              Windows 7, settle for 8.1
              NVIDIA? GeForce? GT750M dedicated 3GB graphics
              16+GB DDR3 memory
              1TB 7200RPM SATA3 Hard Drive + 24GB SSD
              10/100/1000 (Gigabit) LAN ( RJ-45 Ports )
              802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN
              USB 3.0 SuperSpeed, 2 USB 2.0 (one always on), full size HDMI-out, 9+in-1 card reader, mic/headphone, Firewire 800, NFC
              Stand/wall hang option
              Bluetooth 4.0
              Bluetooth keyboard
              <9-10 lbs.
              Last edited by Panoptes; October 18, 2013, 12:58 AM.
              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Desktop mode is fine. And if you already have 8, why wouldn't you get 8.1?
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Do people still get excited about a Windows update?
                  Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Finally made the switch from DSL to Cable. Went from an "up to 10Mbps" DSL plan (the fastest DSL I could get in my area) to an "up to 25Mbps" cable plan. Actual speed went from about 8 Mbps to 30Mbps, so cable is actually exceeding the plan.

It was a rocky start though. Turns out the cable company had to run a new cable from the neighborhood utility box to my house because the existing cable was out of date. That took like 2 months! But its installed and working now.

Oh and Win 8.1 is solid. Been using it for about a month now and like it.

Comment

• Finally made the switch from DSL to Cable. Went from an "up to 10Mbps" DSL plan (the fastest DSL I could get in my area) to an "up to 25Mbps" cable plan. Actual speed went from about 8 Mbps to 30Mbps, so cable is actually exceeding the plan.
                      Do you actually notice it just browsing or do you do downloads?
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                        I think I'm looking for a new hybrid.

Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

I think I'm looking for a new hybrid.

If any of you aspiring computer mfg. types could make this, id buy for up to $2k

4th gen Intel? Core? i7-4610Y (1.70GHz / 2.90GHz3 with Turbo Boost10) or greatest upgrade to this
                          Windows 7, settle for 8.1
                          NVIDIA? GeForce? GT750M dedicated 3GB graphics
                          16+GB DDR3 memory
                          1TB 7200RPM SATA3 Hard Drive + 24GB SSD
                          10/100/1000 (Gigabit) LAN ( RJ-45 Ports )
                          802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN
                          USB 3.0 SuperSpeed, 2 USB 2.0 (one always on), full size HDMI-out, 9+in-1 card reader, mic/headphone, Firewire 800, NFC
                          Stand/wall hang option
                          Bluetooth 4.0
                          Bluetooth keyboard
                          <9-10 lbs.
                          Yeah. Good luck with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                            Do you actually notice it just browsing or do you do downloads?
                            Browsing, yes I notice it a bit. Never felt the old service was slow for basic browsing though.

I'm about ready to start a big download (VS 2013) so we'll see how that goes. But mainly the bandwidth is for online streaming HD. I've had too many movie nights ruined by movies buffering - even after downgrading to SD. I've dropped DirectTV so now our video entertainment comes from OTA (over the air) and online streaming. Kids are also getting older and more active online too.

Comment

<9-10 lbs.

23"IPS and 9-10LBS

with a mount for a wall stud.....

good luck.
                              Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
                                Yeah. Good luck with that.
                                I know.

A dreamer can dream though right?

The Lenovo A730 (?) is about as close as I'll get to something like that as of today.
                                19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

Working...
                                X