No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated to 8.1 on my laptop, but it brought back a graphics card issue that HP never bothered to fix. Tried to restore but the partition is corrupted, so I am trying to figure out what to do next. It's especially frustrating as I use this for work.
    2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• bricked
      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
        Updated to 8.1 on my laptop, but it brought back a graphics card issue that HP never bothered to fix. Tried to restore but the partition is corrupted, so I am trying to figure out what to do next. It's especially frustrating as I use this for work.
        Wow that's rotten. :(

I also had a driver issue after the update (audio driver). I seem to lose sound after each reboot and have to reinstall the drivers. I may have fixed it...we shall see.
        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Everything seems fine with the HDD, memory, etc. I probably just need to wipe the drive and order recovery discs.

Would getting a new HDD and just doing a completely fresh windows 8 install work, or would things not work correctly since I wouldn't use the HP oem discs?

Comment

• A fresh install should work but you might need to go out and update drivers specific to your hardware afterwards. The HP CDs would include the drivers and maybe some additional software that came with your system.
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Cool, thanks. I might try that if it won't cost much more.

Comment

• M$ is tanking it with regard to desktop OS.
                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                  M$ is tanking it with regard to desktop OS.
                  Sure they are..... Or maybe they are doing a fantastic job and people are getting needlessly upset about something they typically would only see for mere seconds.

8 Performance, Stability, overhead, flexibility, is way beyond Win 7. But it has Modern UI and supposedly that it bad, so of course the whole OS sucks.
                  AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Cut another wire ....

Last week I purchased an Ooma VOIP device and today my phone # port completed. So now I am officially free of the (traditional, land line) phone company. Thanks ULF for the Ooma suggestion!

Comment

• 7...performance, stability, overhead, flexibility......what exactly does 8 have that 7 does not?
                      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                        7...performance, stability, overhead, flexibility......what exactly does 8 have that 7 does not?
                        A 400 MB overhead instead of 1.5-2GB overhead. A better thread manager. Just to start things off.

A lot of people may not realize this but 8 resource requirements are so low that Windows RT is just a recompile of Windows 8 for ARM. Let that sink in for a second Windows 8 is so gentle on hardware that they could run it with minimal changes on an ARM CPU.

People are cutting off their nose to spite their face over learning a new interface that really has just as many pluses as it has minus's and is ridiculously easy to get used to if you are actually willing to try. On top of that Windows 8.1 doesn't make things worse to those who have issues with Modern, it makes it better.
                        AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Dammit - the bulb just went out on my 60" rear projection LCD HDTV today, and the next choice for watching the Lions / Cowboys in my house is a 19" tube TV.

I'm sure there's no place I can find one in Petoskey on a Sunday morning, but I'm checking...
                          The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• maybe the best buy in TC?
                            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• That's about an hour and a half trip. I'll just go hang out at Buffalo Wild Wings or something, spend a bunch of money on beer.
                              The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Sorry bout your blown bulb. i always keep a spare bulb on hand for my LCD HDTV for that unexpected moment.

I use a place i found on ebay for my replacements

In DTVB we believe in great customer service, this is why our customers’ needs are priority and because of them we have become an e-commerce leader. Due to the current circumstances of the world, we know that people needs have broaden because of this we are collaborating daily with multiple global brands such as MI Technologies Inc, LYTIO, Lutema & partnership with Philips Lighting, with these collaborations we are proud to be able to give you the best and most competitive prices that you heavily desire and deserve.
                                19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

Working...
                                X