OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
    Right LFIJ. They need to install the desktop software if it's a PC or Mac, or an app if it's an iPhone or Android. And they don't *have* to download, they can just view. Downloading is an option though.

You give them an access code and a password. You can also give them their own folder so they can share content with you.
    Awesome. Thank you, Dave, it's a big help.
    2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
      DRM is for chumps bimmer. You can find everything you need to rip and backup your DVDs here.
      Veddy interesting!

Comment

• Getting rid of CDs was the best thing I ever did for my music listening.

I put a 64GB card in my phone and loaded it up with about 550 albums and around 8,000 songs total. Then I built a playlist of 1400 of my favorites from each album.

I put a bluetooth stereo in my truck, and I run Poweramp as my Android music player. Here's how it works:

When I start up the truck, the stereo turns on and looks for the bluetooth connection. It then connects to my phone and starts playing the playlist (which is on shuffle play, and is about 90 hours worth of music without repeating a song.)

Then when I shut it off, Poweramp automatically pauses the song. Next time I get in, it picks up and plays right where I left off. I never have to take my phone out of my pocket. The head unit in the truck displays the artist and title, changes songs, and volume level.

It's pretty cool. Back when I used CDs and had a 6-disc changer, I'd rarely change them out so I was listening to the same stuff all the time. And I'd rarely put in a CD that only had one or two songs I liked. So out of 500 CDs, I probably listened to 20 of them with any regularity.

Bluetooth is in my boat as well, so my whole library is always with me.
        The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Thats too much organization, it makes my head hurt readng it.

Comment

• Wow.

I am so old.
            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• true :-)
              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                Wow.

I am so old.
                you dont seem to let that slow you down.
                19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• heh - it's really quite simple. Moving your entire library to mp3s takes some time, but it's something I've been working on for a while. And once it's done, it's with you for life provided you keep a good backup and all.

The car stereo part is easy, just go with a bluetooth enabled head unit. Poweramp is the killer app, it's a $5 Android music player. It's what pauses / restarts the playlist when the bluetooth connects. Like I said, I don't even take the phone out of my pocket.

I had been looking at building a whole android tablet based car stereo system. That requires some real work to integrate one of those into your dash. Once I figured out that I could do it all from my phone, it was a no-brainer.

I was really not listening to my music much anymore because of all the problems with CDs. Now I'm really enjoying all my stuff again.
                  The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• No need to go through those gyrations with my Sync system. I got an external drive (500 GB was playable but didn't index well so I got a 320GB external) and I have it all voice searchable through the sync system as well as by playlist.
                    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• My vehicle isn't new enough for one of those. But when I do get a newer vehicle, I'll certainly get the cool technology with it.

It'll be interesting to see if it's as flexible as my setup...as I said, it works in my boat as well...or anywhere I'm at. The last few parties I've been to, we just hook up my phone and run the playlist.

So yeah, this solution will work in any older car, all you need to do is put in a bluetooth head unit.
                      Last edited by unknown lions fan; February 7, 2014, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• Just get spotify.
                        Atlanta, GA

Comment

• not me. I don't like those online subscription services at all. I keep a small data plan, so streaming everything isn't in the plans (and it isn't reliable in Northern MI.) I have much more control over my library and how it's played by putting it on the SD card.

Comment

• My wife and I both use one spotify account. It saves us so much time that's it's easily worth it to me. I'll never deal with the management of huge lists of music files again.
                            Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Spotify is terrific!
                              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• So I have 500 GB of music on my HD. Will spotify organize that or is it only streaming new stuff?

Comment

Working...
                                X