No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the research I have done, the computer will still run. However, any "holes" that hackers have created will no longer be patched by microsoft. That'll leave any XP system vulnerable as MWHSG stated. So if I used a Credit Card to buy anything a hacker could have access to that info.

Not worth the risk, I have to upgrade.
    "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• fwd to 34 min
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• 30% still use XP. 500M! So it's worth it for the hackers to go after
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I found this:

Don't panic, even though Windows XP support ends in April, your computer can still be secure and you can download and save all of the Windows Update files

HOW LONG WILL WINDOWS XP BE SECURE FOR?
          Unless there's a massive vulnerability that security software can't protect against, Windows XP should still have a long life in front of it. As long as security software, drivers and other applications have Windows XP updates for them, the operating system can continue to be used securely and reliably. At some point you'll find that new hardware and software won't support the OS, and updates stop coming, but until that day you don't need to upgrade.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• the podcast does have a few things to do if you go forward

Comment

• Re: OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
              How about a synopsis so I don't have to listen to a podcast?
              Using XP after April 8th is stupid.
              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• that is so not what Leo says

Comment

• I don't have it, but it looks as if it is not the end of the world to use it.
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• iPad Air vs Android tablets ... thoughts???

Also, anybody know a way to use swype type texting on iPad?
                    WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                      iPad Air vs Android tablets ... thoughts???

Also, anybody know a way to use swype type texting on iPad?
                      Asus Transformer T100 tablet with Windows 8.1 full version (not RT) comes with a keyboard and MS Office Home and Student for free.
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                        that is so not what Leo says
                        Other episodes he warns against using it. I think it depends on how tech savvy the user is.
                        Last edited by edindetroit; March 18, 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          I don't have it, but it looks as if it is not the end of the world to use it.
                          You are correct.

What it really means is that some of us are still using dial phones while our kids are sitting next to us using a smart phone.

I am already having issues I never had before and I am guessing it is because Microsoft is getting a bit slow on XP updates as they know soon, they will not have to be making them.

I am a big believer of if it ain't broke, don't fix it but, I have also learned that relying on a certain machine for too long can leave you high and dry. Parts for old computers are not as readily available as parts for old cars.
                          Last edited by Malto Marko; March 18, 2014, 04:37 PM.
                          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Repeat question ... anybody know a way to use swype style typing on an iPad?
                            WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• I hate to chime in as a Linux nerd, but on those older laptops Linux Mint or Lubuntu works well. You can download a Live CD to test it out. It is good for basic web surfing, email, etc.

There are a couple of Antivirus vendors that have committed to staying up to date on XP, and their intrusion detection will be updated as soon as a known exploit is released. This might be a good way to mitigate your risk for awhile.

Comment

• got my new phone today. I want to sell the old one back. I can get almost 30 for it which is better than me using it for a doorstop. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to clear all my data from it?

Comment

Working...
                                X