X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
    Good to hear, Malto.
    Ya, but understood it is temporary.

The makers of the hardware, and software, want you to keep coming back.

Why does it work better with their product, but not so good with mine?

Mine has been around longer and pleased more, while being cheaper.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
      8 on anything non-touch is just awful. 7 x64 is the sweet spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      Oh bs. You don't have to do anything in the Metro/Modern/Touch interface if you don't want to. I "live" exclusively on the desktop and life is fine.
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Re: OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
        Oh bs. You don't have to do anything in the Metro/Modern/Touch interface if you don't want to. I "live" exclusively on the desktop and life is fine.
        :thumbup: <-LOL, so much for tapatalk.
        "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Glad you like 8 Deb - you are the only person I know that does. It reminds me of Vista - half baked at best with no compelling features or real reasons that would make one want to upgrade. MS has this strange habit of doing this with every other OS release - starting with Windows "Me"

Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• For you MM

What You Need to Know - WorkIntelligent.ly

The End of Windows XP: What You Need to KnowJan02

There's nothing to be ashamed of if your company still uses Windows XP. By this time, your ROI is off the charts. Most technology infrastructure, outside of legacy systems, just doesn't last that long.

The problem, however, is Microsoft is finally*pulling the plug on support*after April 8, 2014.

What you need to know if you still run XP

For larger enterprises, Microsoft?s past data shows the average enterprise deployment can take 18 to 32 months from business case to full deployment. That might seem unrealistic, but the key is to have some cushion for scheduling, planning, and of course, application testing.

And regardless of whether or not businesses meet their deployment dates, after early April, ?there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates,? according to Microsoft?s online documentation.

Microsoft says running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 after support ends can lead to security risks as well as hardware and software compatibility issues. Most IT managers have already seen what Gartner mentioned.

For companies that tend to be a bit more maverick when it comes to leaning on Microsoft (or any vendor) for support, there?s more to it than just technical problem-solving. The business benefits that come with*newer operating systemscan be substantial, especially going from XP to something like Windows 8.

PC security and management have been improved, but perhaps just as important, Microsoft?s newer operating systems allow organizations to take advantage of more powerful virtualization and cloud-based capabilities.

XP Alternatives and Benefits

And speaking of the cloud, there?s*open source*operating systems that can also deliver the cloud as well as a stable computing environment. Linux, Chromium, and JoliOS are a few of the choices. Linux is the most mature and can be downloaded for free through popular distribution networks.

While both options can be downloaded at no charge, most enterprise distribution networks monetize their markets with commercial services and technical support. Companies with proprietary applications or older hardware should be prepared for compatibility and integration challenges.

Chromium, from Google, is gaining momentum as Chromebooks become viable for portable computing.*JolioOS*is another free option for XP replacement whose source code can be found on the geek portfolio GitHub.

The nice thing about open source, besides its extensibility, is the lack of viruses. While the browsers that users choose can introduce security risks, open source OSes have mostly been immune to malware that affects Windows machines.

Get Help Before Any Upgrade

A company?s computing infrastructure has never been more mission-critical. Even so, operating systems are often taken for granted until something doesn?t work. The best thing businesses can do to prepare for Windows XP?s end of support is to get help. Either a company that can augment what IT is doing or one that can take over the whole process. Sometimes it?s better to have a resource outside the firewall that can objectively crack the whip to keep things in order and moving. You can?t afford the down time. Start there with your ROI analysis.

(editor?s note ? earlier this month, Microsoft announced that they would still support Windows XP?s anti-malware programs until July of 2015, in order to help organizations complete their migrations. Windows XP will still go out of support in April of this year. For more info, please visit the*Microsoft blog post*announcing the decision.)
            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• If $50 won't do it, what about $100? Microsoft sweetens trade-in deals for XP holdouts

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                8 on anything non-touch is just awful. 7 x64 is the sweet spot.

Originally posted by Coop View Post
                Glad you like 8 Deb - you are the only person I know that does. It reminds me of Vista - half baked at best with no compelling features or real reasons that would make one want to upgrade. MS has this strange habit of doing this with every other OS release - starting with Windows "Me"

You get that those are two different takes, right? You claimed 8 was awful outside of a touch interface. That's untrue. The desktop environment is just fine (equal or better than Win7).

The Metro/Modern/Touch interface is indeed awful and pointless if you don't have touch but you don't have to be in that interface. I never am.

I do agree there is no real compelling reason to go from 7 to 8 for most people.
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Even if you upgrade your operating system, wouldn't you still have to remove the XP OS from your machine to be "safe".
                  "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Any large scale enterprise system still running XP needs new management.

Comment

• Most ATMs will remain on Windows XP after Microsoft pulls plug on OS support

Get the latest info on new preview builds of Windows 11 as they roll out to Windows Insiders. Now updated for Build 22635.3566 for the Beta Channel, released on April 26, 2024.

Windows XP deadline looms, but many firms still aren't ready to leap

Last edited by Tony G; March 21, 2014, 07:28 PM.
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I went with windows 8 (.1) because i will be doing a ton of photo editing. The touch screen is a fun change of pace in that regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
                          Even if you upgrade your operating system, wouldn't you still have to remove the XP OS from your machine to be "safe".
                          No, the OS running is still the new OS and any software specific to Windows is replaced by the update. If your going from Windows Xo to 7 or 8 its an even bigger shift as the folder structure itself is moved to an archive directory and the Windows install is damn near a fresh install.

Its not the XP files themselves that is the issue, its the networking and security holes present when running the OS.
                          AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Interesting find Gonz.

Thanks.

I am going to replace my machines anyway because I need more RAM and larger Hard Drive to accomplish what I have targeted for my marketing plan for this year.

.....and daptnod.

My work computer is flying and I couldn't be happier with the anitvirus and firewall change.

Home is a different story but I suspect that is because I have not spent a lot of time powered up and the initial scan has not been fully completed.

I will know for sure by Monday but have no reason to believe it will not be flying also.

Overall, really happy with increased performance on the work machine.
                            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I am not an entrepreneur like you my friend but reinvestment in technology is always high on any consultants list of things business owners need to maintain in their annual business plan.

Best of luck to you on the transition.

Comment

• My wife likes her Lenovo yoga pro 2 hybrid. She usually skips the live tile interface and uses the traditional desktop though. She loves the touch screen for web browsing and scrolling and she uses the two apps at once feature for work stuff quite often.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snKqCF-fSZU"]Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro review 2014 - YouTube[/ame]
                                Last edited by nhwbrooklyn; March 22, 2014, 09:16 AM.
                                Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

Working...
                                X