OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
    Your skepticism should be from either the Auto Industry or Arab oil interests paying him big bucks for the patent then burying it somewhere so it does not hit the market.
    That's what I'm bettin' on.
    ------------
    <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• The water car is a scam or it defies known physics. I'm betting the former.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
        Tom, interesting stuff. I have an Onkyo home theater system and am quite happy with it. Never had the problem you mentioned, but my living room isn't really expansive.
        Just FYI - the "problem" is typically manifested by the need to turn up the volume to hear the dialog, and the need to turn down the volume during the action sequences.

If what you have works for you - that's all that matters. I'm not sure why I wrote that all up. I just believe most people (that includes me) are/were conditioned to think that the traditional MTM center speaker design must be the "best" design since everybody uses it. I don't believe that anymore and felt the need to inform others.
        Last edited by LightninBoy; July 28, 2008, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
          The water car is a scam or it defies known physics. I'm betting the former.
          The idea is you can separate the oxygen atoms from the hydrogen atoms in water molocules, and then hydrogen is flamable/combustable. For that matter, so is oxygen, now that I think of it. The technology is for real.

I think.
          ------------
          <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

Just FYI - the "problem" is typically manifested by the need to turn up the volume to hear the dialog, and the need to turn down the volume during the action sequences.

If what you have works for you - that's all that matters. I'm not sure why I wrote that all up. I just believe most people (that includes me) are/were conditioned to think that the traditional MTM center speaker design must be the "best" design since everybody uses it. I don't believe that anymore and felt the need to inform others.
            I'm glad you did, it was interesting. I haven't experienced the issue but I would imagine in a larger room if I weren't ideally-positioned I would.
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew View Post
              The idea is you can separate the oxygen atoms from the hydrogen atoms in water molocules, and then hydrogen is flamable/combustable. For that matter, so is oxygen, now that I think of it. The technology is for real.
              That's not the issue. The issue is whether the combustion of the resulting gas provides more energy than it took to convert the water into the gas in the first place. That's what nobody has ever been able to do.

Comment

• I agree. It was an interesting read. I have a cheap HTIB and had the hard to hear dialog problem. I haven't set it up in my new house yet, I'm not sure how I will do it...
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

That's not the issue. The issue is whether the combustion of the resulting gas provides more energy than it took to convert the water into the gas in the first place. That's what nobody has ever been able to do.
                  Especially to be able to run 100 miles on a half cup of water....
                  To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew View Post

I think.
                    Provided the technology is real and this car actually does run on water (and that is all stretching my imagination...) There would have to be major problems in areas like Michigan where in the summer the temps get so hot the water would evap. or in the winter your water tank would freeze.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Honcho View Post
                      Provided the technology is real and this car actually does run on water (and that is all stretching my imagination...) There would have to be major problems in areas like Michigan where in the summer the temps get so hot the water would evap. or in the winter your water tank would freeze.
                      Good points, Honch but, one step at a time. First develop a system that works with water. Then find a way that it works in all environments.

As a few others have pointed out, physics still have to be overcome to make this a global alternative.

My guess is, when they solve the first problem, they will work on the second, then third then.......who knows? It might work.
                      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                        Good points, Honch but, one step at a time. First develop a system that works with water. Then find a way that it works in all environments.

As a few others have pointed out, physics still have to be overcome to make this a global alternative.

My guess is, when they solve the first problem, they will work on the second, then third then.......who knows? It might work.
                        give me a car that will run on water and I guarentee you I'll find a way to keep it from frezzing even if I have turn my bedroom into a garage and sleep in it
                        I'm not to blame.

I voted for the other guy!

Nov. 2008

Comment

• Hey computer nerds. I am going to get a new desktop computer. It will be used 90% for surfing and word processing. 10% of the time to play computer games (but nothing too demanding as far as I know).

I was just wondering if someone could IM me, and let me know what kind of processor I should get, how much memory is needed, and thoughts on XP vs. Vista (I have XP now, and have no problem at all with it). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comment

• Sent you a PM SLF.

Comment

• thanks bim!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                                Hey computer nerds. I am going to get a new desktop computer. It will be used 90% for surfing and word processing. 10% of the time to play computer games (but nothing too demanding as far as I know).

I was just wondering if someone could IM me, and let me know what kind of processor I should get, how much memory is needed, and thoughts on XP vs. Vista (I have XP now, and have no problem at all with it). Any help is greatly appreciated!
                                With 90 % what you do with it surf and paper writing I doubt you could buy a new computer and go wrong. Old pentium 1's with 128 meg ram and 1 gig hard drive did that stuff and now your hard pressed to find a new one with less then 2ghz cpu, 1g ram and 60-80 gig hard drive

So SLF I wouldn't sweat it!
                                Last edited by King Cole; August 2, 2008, 08:43 PM.
                                I'm not to blame.

I voted for the other guy!

Nov. 2008

Comment

Working...
                                X