No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no idea. But my point was more that I give LG a lot of my money and wish it were staying in the U.S. lol

(My LG washer and dryer can kick your washer and dryer's asses)
    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
      yeah 50 inch

Main room. Not for the bed room.

Is there a U.S. t.v. maker still in business? Last one I thought was zenith or something.
      VIZIO

#1 in LCD HDTV
      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Went with this LG pk550 plasma.

It's got a super thin bezel (border area around the t.v.) and my fiancee liked that... and I had been building a case to get a new t.v. for a while

(not my video but same model)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nLa-QjuWp4"]YouTube - LG PK550 - 50" - Avatar[/ame]
        Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• I have a 32" in my bedroom as well as my living room (they only look small next to bigger TVs in the showroom...;)).

"They" say that you won't be able to tell the difference between 1080 and 720 on screens 32 and smaller. Don't know if it is true. Both or mine receive 1080, but I can't tell the difference between 1080 broadcasts and 720 other than the TV telling me what I am seeing.

Both of my TVs are 120Hz. "They" say that fast action will blur on 60Hz. Don't know if that is true or not, either. It may not matter on the smaller screen
          Last edited by CGVT; December 15, 2010, 09:02 PM.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
            I have no idea. But my point was more that I give LG a lot of my money and wish it were staying in the U.S. lol

(My LG washer and dryer can kick your washer and dryer's asses)
            They did sign a free trade agreement with us just recently if it makes any difference (supposedly they will be buying more of our stuff).

The two korean companies samsung and lg are powerhouses right now. Superior to sony more often then not.
            Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
              Both of my TVs a 120Hz. "They" say that fast action will blur on 60Hz. Don't know if that is true or not, either.
              I think thats the effect that makes everything look like it was shot with a home cam that I was talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                VIZIO

#1 in LCD HDTV
                u.s. company? thats cool... its debatable who makes the best LCD right now. Panasonic has been said to have the best picture but again debatable. Samsung and LG are super strong too. Sony also solid.

Comment

• I have a Sony and a Vizio. I am happy with both.
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• FWIW, LG and SAMSUNG can't hold a candle to most Sony HDTV offerings. Especially the XBR top shelf level of TV's. I've been drooling for the new SONY 60" 3D XBR. IIRC, this years Super Bowl will be shown in 3D.
                    Last edited by Panoptes; December 15, 2010, 09:06 PM.

Comment

FWIW, LG and SAMSUNG can't hold a candle to most Sony HDTV offerings. Especially the XBR top shelf level of TV's.
                      Disagree but sony makes good stuff too.

Really all the top makers are pretty close in picture quality right now anyhow.

My father has a beautiful huge Mitsubishi (or was it toshiba... one of htose two) and its great.

Anyhow I strongly recommend techbargains.com for a good place to look after you figure out what electronics/computers you want and see if someone has a deal on it.

Comment

• My eyes quickly spot the visual difference between a SONY and anything else.

SAMSUNG and MITSU still give me verdigo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweatpants Murphy View Post
                          I'd say 60hz vs 120hz...I was told by my local cable provider that no channel broadcasts in 1080p anyway.
                          I think your cable provider is wrong...

But with a set under 40 inches, I would be more concerned with refresh rate

Comment

My eyes quickly spot the visual difference between a SONY and anything else.

SAMSUNG and MITSU still give me verdigo.
                            Each maker has a wide range of t.vs and every year they update. But you typically can't go wrong with sony. I had a huge early sony xbr hdtv when hdtv were new. Was great at the time (unfortunately the thing weighed like 400lbs and I moved to NYC soon after i got it).

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                              I think your cable provider is wrong...

But with a set under 40 inches, I would be more concerned with refresh rate
                              If you want to use that T.V. as a computer monitor ever inthe future you should get 1080p though. If not then disregard

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                                If you want to use that T.V. as a computer monitor ever inthe future you should get 1080p though. If not then disregard
                                Agree. I would probably go for both. In a 32" you can get a pretty good price without breaking the bank.

BTW, I found this:

In the United States, 1080p over-the-air broadcasts still do not exist as of 2010; all major networks use either 720p60 or 1080i60 encoded with MPEG-2. However, satellite service has many channels that utilize the 1080p/24-30 format with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 encoding (e.g. DirecTV, XstreamHD, and Dish Network).

So it looks to me as if the cable companies don't broadcast in 1080p but the satellite companies do. (I have DTV)

Comment

Working...
                                X