No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree. and you shouldn't give it another thought.

Comment

• Thank you both!

Comment

• YT, my Dad was incoherent and groaned in pain 20-22 hrs a day for two weeks before he died. Mom and I prayed he would die. This is not bad--just normal--you don't want to see a loved one in pain. Deb--I agree with you, the docs wanted Dad to be in a morphine haze, but that hard ass he was, he wouldn't even take a Bufferin . I know the guy went straight to heaven though.

Comment

• Wow, why doesn't a celebrity just die to lighten up this thread?!

Comment

• lol Dan

I'm so sorry for what your Dad (and you!) went through. He sounds like he was quite a tough guy. Your comment about going straight to heaven made me smile.
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by YT View Post
              Deb, your experience with your step-mom are almost an exact copy of what I went through with my mom.

I guess seeing first hand the aftermath of suicide attempts (sucessful and unsucessful), I am very harsh on people who use suicide as permenent solution to a temporary problem.

But then again, who am I to judge....

Yet I am very understanding about assisted suicide for terminally ill patients.

In some ways, I think my mom should have used assisted suicide to spare her the tremendous pain she was in the last 3 months of her life.

The last 2 weeks of her life, I would constantly pray to God help her die to put her out of her misery...

What kind of son does that????

I still have a lot of guilt over this, and I'm still fucked up emotionally and mentally about it
              To have compassion for your mother should not cause you guilt. While it is understood that we should not wish harm to others, asking to relieve one from untrollable suffering, is a sign of compassion not ill will.

Rest easy big guy, your intent was for the best, not harm.
              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Wow...what a deep thread. YT, no one could say you did anything wrong. No one wants to see thier loved ones suffer.
                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I was pretty depressed a couple of winters ago. Marriage on the rocks, not getting much sleep, the gray of winter made me feel like I was living in a box. It got so bad that I went to the hospital on a Monday morning about 3 a.m., which was 3 hours before I was supposed to get up for work. I got some sleeping pills, and they helped. But the experience did help me to understand how bad mental pain can be. Every second can be miserable! So, I don't think of people who commit suicide as being selfish anymore. If your mind isn't right, and you feel that the rest of your life will only be mental anguish, suicide can seem like the only relief available. It's hard for people who haven't experienced it to understand. My case wasn't really that bad, I wasn't considering suicide. But it did give me some insight into the power of a depressed mind. I couldn't relate to my wife's depression until I went through that experience.
                  I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• "Every second can be miserable!"
                    -------------------------Yep from the time you get up from bed after a night of not sleeping you're in a constant state of anxiety, loneliness, depression, etc and it doesn't go away all day long everyday. I was there for several months. It's an anguish that can't be explained and takes a very strong person to continue on. Suicide was never a consideration for me but if it were I could never do that to my kids and other family members. Besides that I'm too much of a pussy to kill myself.

GO LIONS "07" !!!!!!!
                    GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I don't know that I've ever thought of suicide as selfish.

The major biological imperative is to live. If you aren't alive nothing else matters to the body (biologically speaking). The need for survival is very basic to our being, and deeply deeply ingrained in our reptilian brain.

The person whose brain is telling them that being dead is better is obviously very disturbed. Disturbed enough to undo the survival instinct present in every creature from amoeba's who move away from uncomfortable stimulus, to sunflowers who follow the sun, to dogs that bark at strangers to keep them away.

Such a disturbed mind is capable of any thoughts. And not necessarily thinking of themselves. For example, they could be thinking "they'll be better off without me dissappointing them further" or "I don't want to be such a drain on people anymore."

I'm sure sometimes it is selfish...but more often it is the product of a diseased mind.
                      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                        "Every second can be miserable!"
                        -------------------------Yep from the time you get up from bed after a night of not sleeping you're in a constant state of anxiety, loneliness, depression, etc and it doesn't go away all day long everyday. I was there for several months. It's an anguish that can't be explained and takes a very strong person to continue on. Suicide was never a consideration for me but if it were I could never do that to my kids and other family members. Besides that I'm too much of a pussy to kill myself.

GO LIONS "07" !!!!!!!
                        ......and it does not go away as long as you are associated with a female.

It is your kids that give the strength to keep on. You are a role model for them and to cop out because things are not going your way teaches the wrong message. (You could however, encourage them to give the finger to life as it is a viable means of expression!)

Comment

• "It is your kids that give the strength to keep on."
                          ------------------------That's for sure Mark. If it wasn't for them I may be in an insane asylum right now. I don't know about others but I have a love for my children that goes beyond the love I have for my parents, siblings, or even my spouse when I was married.

GO LIONS "07" !!!!!!!
                          GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                            "It is your kids that give the strength to keep on."
                            ------------------------That's for sure Mark. If it wasn't for them I may be in an insane asylum right now. I don't know about others but I have a love for my children that goes beyond the love I have for my parents, siblings, or even my spouse when I was married.

GO LIONS "07" !!!!!!!
                            I totally understand the love!

Comment

• I think Mark, Rocky, DanO and SLF made some very powerful points that show suicide really isn't about being selfish. It's about the overwhelming sadness or even sickness of one's mind to the point that they cannot go on living. Some of you advocate suicide when there is a physical ailment yet do not condone it for mental ailment. But what's the difference? In both cases the person wants to end unbearable suffering.
                              "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• While suicide was never an option for me I will say I didn't care if I died. I always had, and currently have, a fear of death. At that time I had no such fear and didn't care if I died. I even told my parents that on one of their visits.

GO LIONS "07" !!!!!!!
                                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

Working...
                                X