No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is distress over a lost girlfriend really a "mental ailment"?

I think there have been some fine points made but in the case of mental anguish, it's treatable and most likely a temporary state. I can not equate it to the terminally ill.

I saw a documentary on suicide once on HBO. It was very graphic and disturbing--so I don't recommend it. But the gist of it was very similar to my opinion. They also stated that those who do it violently or in a place where their loved ones would discover them are actually trying to punish those loved ones....not just escape their own wretched lives.
    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I totally have a fear of death which gets stronger as I age. Aging is such a trip.
      "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• Sometimes mental anguish is temporary. Sometimes it's permanent even with treatment.

Comment

• Certainly true. And there are medications available to help control most of those ailments and give those who suffer from them some quality of life.
          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• But sometimes, just like with physical ailments, medications are not enough. I think you're trying to attach logic and common sense to something that defies the very nature of logic.

Comment

• Deb, part of the mental illness is the brain telling you that things won't ever change. That the situation is hopeless and you are doomed.

It is much like an addicts brain telling them they need to use drugs. To a properly functioning brain, it doesn't make any sense. But it's not properly functioning brain. It doesn't work properly, and everything comes back to that "truth" that your life is awful, and it would be better for everyone if you are dead.
              Last edited by SeattleLionsFan; March 18, 2007, 05:20 PM.
              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                Is distress over a lost girlfriend really a "mental ailment"?
                Not to me but, rejection, especially at a young age, can be debilitating particularly to someone who had only enjoyed love and support previously.
                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Mark, SLF and DanV..Thank you all for your kind words!

Comment

• I'm all right with allowing those who are mentally ill with no quality of life to apply for assisted suicide, just as those who are terminally ill would have to meet certain qualifications.
                    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Oh ya. I forgot to post. You have nothing to feel guilty about YT. What you were feeling/did is common human nature.

GO LIONS "07" !!!!!!!
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Thanks DanO.

Comment

• Originally posted by romster View Post
                          I totally have a fear of death which gets stronger as I age. Aging is such a trip.
                          You sound just like me. And I also can't believe how fast my life has been zipping past the last 10-15 years. I feel like I'm on a high-speed train to an unknown destination.
                          I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• I feel like I'm on a high-speed train to an unknown destination.
                            Deep thought alert.

And I hear ya.

Comment

• know 2 people that commtted suicide.

The fist was a druggy that was completely pairinoid. He killed himself with a gun on his families sofa. At least he was polite enough to use a silencer. Really didn't feel bad because it seems he put himself in the boat he was rowing. I dated his logtime girlfirend which he had a picture of in his pocket. She was really sweet, but ultimatly she will always be alittle fucked up form the whole situation. I can't imagine what his family feels.

The other guy was a strange guy that I was close with when we were younger. He was normal till about the age of 25. Mental problems ran in his family. As he aged he would come over to start fights with his old friends and accuse them of sleeping with his girlfriend who we had met once. Felt really bad for him, because it never seemed in his control.

Comment

• Romster, off thread but that painting as your avatar is gorgeous! Who is the artist? (depending on your answer, that might also be my tie-back to the celebrity death thread)

Comment

Working...
                                X