X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mason reese View Post
    So in other words....music.
    Nope.

I do not consider lyrics to a beat music.

I consider music to have melody and counter melodys.

As a former musician, just MHO.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Wouldn't that exclude more than just rap? Any kind of solo instrumental would only have a melody.
      "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• No because the solo has melody.

Most of the rap I am familiar with has no melody or counter melody.

Comment

• how do you rate this one?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjsXo9l6I8"]"Empire State of Mind" Jay-Z | Alicia Keys [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube[/ame]
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Or this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08wOPt-2PeE"]Cab Calloway - Minnie The Moocher - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
              No because the solo has melody.

Most of the rap I am familiar with has no melody or counter melody.

There's plenty of melody in rap...it's just not coming from the lead singer/rapper.
              "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                Definitely has a counter melody. I would rate this as music and I understand he is a rapper.

Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                Hidee hideee hideeee high..........

Always liked this song. (I believe there was no designation of rap when this was recorded, I believe they identified it as blues)

Originally posted by mason reese View Post
                There's plenty of melody in rap...it's just not coming from the lead singer/rapper.
                I will bow to those of you more knowledgeable than I when it comes to rap.

Have heard of Jay-Z but listening to Tonys clip is the first time I heard any of his work.

The only rap I am familiar with is what my boys listen to and it is so objectionable with a lack of musical quality that they are only allowed to listen to it with headphones or earplugs in the house. In their cars........now that is a different story. I can hear them coming home from a block away.

Comment

• I agree Malto that there is a lot of rap/urban/hip hop or what ever the f it is called now, that is exactly what you are talking about. Genres of Metal are equally unlistenable to me. (Death metal, speed metal etc.)
                  Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• IMO, if it's rhthmic and meant for the people's listening enjoyment, it's music.
                    ------------
                    <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post

Hidee hideee hideeee high..........

Always liked this song. (I believe there was no designation of rap when this was recorded, I believe they identified it as blues)
                      While the music is jazz, I believe they called what he was doing "Scat", which has also been called an early, early form of rap.

Comment

• Not all that different than this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM4kqL13jGM"]Digable Planets - Rebirth Of Slick (Cool Like Dat) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• I will admit my musical background makes me a bit of a music snob.

I guess it is kinda like when my Dad heard me listening to early Zepplin music he had a real distaste for rock and roll but today at 84 will admit the Beatles were pretty good.

Comment

• Thought i heard the ghost of robin gibb in my herb garden. But when i went to check, it was just the chive talking......
                            Now that's funny! Brilliant!

Comment

• Police: 5-time champ Johnny Tapia found dead in NM

The Associated Press
                              Monday, May 28, 2012 6:32 AM EDT

FILE - In a Feb. 21, 2007, file photo, five-time world champion boxer Johnny Tapia... (AP Photo/Jake Schoellkopf, File)

More Sports News

Florida selected as top seed in baseball tourney
                              Azarenka survives in 1st round of French Open
                              Dario Franchitti wins 3rd Indy 500
                              Police: 5-time champ Johnny Tapia found dead in NM
                              Lazio captain arrested over match-fixing
                              More Sports News

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Johnny Tapia, the five-time boxing champion whose turbulent career was marked by cocaine addiction, alcohol, depression and run-ins with the law, was found dead Sunday at his Albuquerque home. He was 45.
                              Authorities were called to the house at about 7:45 p.m. on Sunday, spokesman Robert Gibbs said. The death didn't appear to be suspicious, he said.
                              Tapia won five championships in three weight classes, winning the WBA bantamweight title, the IBF and WBO junior bantamweight titles and the IBF featherweight belt.
                              He was regarded as the consummate underdog by his fans. The more trouble he found outside the ring — including several stints in jail — the more they rallied around him.
                              In a 1990s-era feud with fellow Albuquerque boxer and former world champion Danny Romero, Tapia's fans anointed him with the slang Spanish title of "Burque's Best."
                              But his life was also marked by tragedy. He was orphaned at 8, his mother stabbed 26 times with a screwdriver and left to die.
                              In 2007, he was hospitalized after an apparent cocaine overdose. Several days later, his brother-in-law and his nephew were killed in car accident on their way to Albuquerque to see the ailing boxer.
                              Tapia was banned from boxing for 3 1/2 years in the early `90s because of his cocaine addiction. But he knocked out Henry Martinez to win the WBO bantamweight title in 1994, and won four more championships over the next eight years.
                              He last fought in June, outpointing Mauricio Pastrana in an eight-round decision. He finished with a 59-5-2 record.
                              Gibbs said an autopsy will be performed in the next few days.

Comment

• Considering the way he lived his life, not a great shock, but a great loss. I always enjoyed watching him in the ring. My condolences to his family.
                                Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

Working...
                                X