Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He really disappeared after Rocky V.
    Who didn't?
    It's so flat you can watch your dog run away for three days.

Comment

• Regardless of films or whatever......., must be the worst thing in the world for any parent, losing a son or daughter. That's real nightmare stuff.
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• In SLY's own words:

There is no greater pain than the loss of a child.
        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Jon Lord, keyboard player with seminal hard rock act Deep Purple, dies

By Saeed Ahmed, CNN
          updated 5:33 PM EDT, Mon July 16, 2012

Jon Lord of the British rock group Deep Purple performs during a 2004 gala in Berlin, Germany.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
          • Jon Lord suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism after a long battle with cancer
          • He fused classical and heavy metal music
          • 'Smoke on the Water' co-writer was 71

(CNN) -- Keyboard player Jon Lord, who fused classical and heavy metal to make Deep Purple one of the biggest rock bands in the world, died Monday after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 71.
          Lord suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism, or a blockage of the lung artery, according to a statement posted on his website.
          Born in Leicester, England, on June 9, 1941, Lord took classical music lessons as a child, and as a teen became enamored with the sound of the blues organ.
          Later, he was among the first musicians to successfully and seamlessly blend the two influences using a Hammond C3 organ, distorting the sound, and routing it through amplifiers.
          While best known for co-writing the Deep Purple hit, "Smoke on the Water," Lord never strayed far from his classical roots. The band's "Concerto for Group and Orchestra" in 1969 was one of its first chart successes.
          '7 Habits' author Stephen Covey dies
          Combining his dazzling virtuosity on the keyboard with the equally virtuosic Ritchie Blackmore on the guitar, the band left behind a string of rock classics that showcased their musicianship: "Space Truckin," "Highway Star," "Child in Time."
          At its heyday in the 1970s, Deep Purple was as big as the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, selling more than 100 million albums.
          "We're as valid as anything by Beethoven," Lord said in an interview with NME magazine in 1973.
          He retired from the band in 2002, and spent the following years working on solo material and collaborating with others, including work last year on a single by the supergroup WhoCares, featuring Purple singer Ian Gillan, Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi, Iron Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain and former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted.
          Actress Celeste Holm dead at 95
          Last August, Lord posted a message to fans where he revealed he was fighting cancer and would be taking a break from performing.
          "I shall of course be continuing to write music -- in my world it just has to be part of the therapy -- and I fully expect to be back in good shape next year," it said.
          He canceled a July 6 show in Germany where he was scheduled to perform with the Hagen Philharmonic Orchestra, with his website attributing it to "a continuation of his regular treatment."
          He died Monday at The London Clinic, surrounded by family members, the site said.
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Regardless of films or whatever......., must be the worst thing in the world for any parent, losing a son or daughter. That's real nightmare stuff.
            ---------------------------It's my biggest fear.

RIP all.
            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Loved his keyboard work on "Lazy" from the Machine Head album. Huge rock loss.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6x8GGXrCFQ"]DEEP PURPLE - LAZY - LIVE 1972 MACHINE HEAD TOUR - YouTube[/ame]
              Last edited by Dan V; July 16, 2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• Kitty Wells died also.
                Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Saw Gillan fronted Purple back in 86 at the EP.

RIP Jon Lord......, you were a legend.
                  "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Thanks for posting that DanV. RIP Jon.
                    ------------
                    <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Steven Covey died too
                      AKA Dave Lubin

Comment

• for all of the fame, fortune, money.....you realize that celebrities pay a very high price. Something look fundamentally just wrong with the Stallone situation. Sad.
                        Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Now he can be effectively dead
                          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• "Steven Covey died too"
                            ---------------------------Actually took his class in A2. Seemed like a great guy. Still have the book.
                            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• R.I.P. Sally Ride
                              AAL Quintez Cephus
                              If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• Really!

You don't hear of an Astronaut passing every day but I guess it won't be long until it is not all that unusual.
                                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X