No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you thinking about WJR. I use to listen to Tiger, Piston, and Wings game on that station way up in the U.P.
    GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Rest in peace, Alex.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
        Are you thinking about WJR. I use to listen to Tiger, Piston, and Wings game on that station way up in the U.P.
        No, back in the 60s the Wings and Lions were on WWJ. It didn't have the power of WJR and faded in an out at night. It was around 1000 on the AM dial. The Tigers were always on WJR when I was a kid.

He called Spitfires games in 1948-49 before being hired away by WWJ in Detroit. It was then that Detroit general manager Jack Adams suggested Lynch should call television games for the Red Wings, a position he started during the 1949-50 National Hockey League season. Over the next five seasons, Lynch had the pleasure of calling four Stanley Cup championships in the Motor City (1950, ’52, ’54 and ’55). He handled the play-by-play action, while men such as Fred Huber and Sid Abel helped with the color commentary. In 1960, Al Nagler, the radio play-by-play voice of the Red Wings, stepped down from his position and Lynch assumed the role. Gene Osborn and then Bruce Martyn provided color commentary for Lynch on radio broadcasts, a position he held for the next 15 years.

It is with saddened hearts that the Detroit Red Wings announce the passing of a beloved member of our organization and hockey family, Mr. Frank Joseph James 'Budd' Lynch.
        Last edited by CGVT; October 10, 2012, 09:53 PM.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• RIP Alex. A great Lion (before my time). I wonder if someday we'll really know what happened at the Lindell AC when he got into it with Dick the Bruiser. Also heard he threw his helmet at a Lion QB in the locker room after throwing a game losing INT

Comment

• RIP Alex Karras

RIP Budd Lynch

RIP Beano Cook. He just died today.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
              Rip Alex Karras.

RIP Budd Lynch.
              Originally posted by CGVT View Post
              When I was a kid in the 60s I lived in the thumb. At night we could get the hockey games on WWJ (I think it was WWJ) radio out of Detroit. In the winter I used to go to sleep listening Budd Lynch call the Red Wings games. His voice was as recognizable as Ernie's to me.

RIP
              Originally posted by DanO View Post
              Are you thinking about WJR. I use to listen to Tiger, Piston, and Wings game on that station way up in the U.P.
              He is thinking about WJR.

RIP Bud.

You are as much of my childhood memories and adult memories as anyone in sports.

My deepest sympathies to his daughter.

I did her wedding.
              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Lions_Radio_Network"]Detroit Lions Radio Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

WXYT-AM was the sole flagship station of the network from 1998-2004.

In 2005, the Lions' flagship became an FM station for the first time in their history, when a long term agreement was signed with WKRK.

Detroit's WWJ was the team's flagship station prior to 1998, and continued to simulcast WXYT-AM's broadcasts prior to the team's move to WKRK. Prior to 1989, WJR had served as the Lions' radio flagship.
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• RIP Budd Lynch

RIP Beano Cook. He just died today.
                  RIP Bud, won't be the same without you, Red Wings.

RIP Cook, hated the Wolverines

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                    He is thinking about WJR.
                    No, Mark. The Red Wings were in WWJ in the 60s.

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                    http://www.michiguide.com/history/

Detroit Lions Radio Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WXYT-AM was the sole flagship station of the network from 1998-2004.

In 2005, the Lions' flagship became an FM station for the first time in their history, when a long term agreement was signed with WKRK.

Detroit's WWJ was the team's flagship station prior to 1998, and continued to simulcast WXYT-AM's broadcasts prior to the team's move to WKRK. Prior to 1989, WJR had served as the Lions' radio flagship.
                    I thought the Lions were also on WWJ during the 60s but per Tony's link it looks as if they were on WJR.

I remember the Wings being on a weaker signal, because I used to listen to them at night and they would fade in and out and I also remember trying to tune the game in on an old dial radio. The signal was around 1000 on the am dial(I looked it up and it is actually 950). WJR (The Great Voice of the Great Lakes) could be heard clear as a bell any time day or night and was at the lower end of the dial at 760.
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                      No, Mark. The Red Wings were in WWJ in the 60s.

I thought the Lions were also on WWJ during the 60s but per Tony's link it looks as if they were on WJR.

I remember the Wings being on a weaker signal, because I used to listen to them at night and they would fade in and out and I also remember trying to tune the game in on an old dial radio. The signal was around 1000 on the am dial(I looked it up and it is actually 950). WJR (The Great Voice of the Great Lakes) could be heard clear as a bell any time day or night and was at the lower end of the dial at 760.
                      No, back in the 60s the Wings and Lions were on WWJ. It didn't have the power of WJR and faded in an out at night. It was around 1000 on the AM dial. The Tigers were always on WJR when I was a kid.
                      AM does that. Even JR who had the strongest AM signal in its surrounding States had issues after the sun went down.

JR has always been 760 and WWJ still is 950.

That is probably why the Lions switched to FM but when they did, it became a case of find the channel for today's broadcast.

Never had issues with the Wings games as I am in their back yard and do concur Wings were on WWJ.
                      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• JR is a clear-channel station

AM transmissions cannot be ionospherically propagated during the day due to strong absorption in the D-layer of the ionosphere. In a crowded channel environment this means that the power of regional channels which share a frequency must be reduced at night or directionally beamed in order to avoid interference, which reduces the potential nighttime audience. Some stations have frequencies unshared with other stations in North America; these are called clear-channel stations. Many of them can be heard across much of the country at night. This is not to be confused with Clear Channel Communications, merely a brand name, which currently owns many U.S. radio stations on both the AM and FM bands. During the night, this absorption largely disappears and permits signals to travel to much more distant locations via ionospheric reflections. However, fading of the signal can be severe at night.
                        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I miss the good ol days of the Tigers U of M and Pistons on WJR....
                          "I eat a lot of corn, so it's actually fairly easy for me to find kernels in my shits."-fontes91

Comment

• RIP, Beano.
                            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• "WJR (The Great Voice of the Great Lakes) could be heard clear as a bell any time day or night and was at the lower end of the dial at 760."
                              -------------------------I guess it was strong since I could pick it up in Escanaba. Some nights were better than others but listened, through fading, with the radio under my pillow. Listened to Piston playoff games with Lanier and Bing.
                              GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I don't know about legendary but....

Legendary TV actor and host Gary Collins died of natural causes on Saturday morning. He was 74.

19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

Working...
                                X