• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College basketball: Rick Majerus dead at 64

Associated Press
    Posted: 12/01/2012 07:53:17 PM PST
    Updated: 12/01/2012 08:06:03 PM PST

Rick Majerus, the jovial coach who led Utah to the 1998 NCAA final and had only one losing season in 25 years with four schools, died Saturday. He was 64.
    Utah industrialist Jon Huntsman, the coach's longtime friend, confirmed in a statement released through The Salt Lake Tribune that Majerus died of heart failure in a Los Angeles hospital. The coach had been hospitalized there for several months.
    Players remembered Majerus as a coach who was exacting and perhaps a bit unorthodox at times, but always fair.
    "It was a unique experience, I'll tell you that, and I loved every minute of it," said Saint Louis guard Kyle Cassity, who was mostly a backup on last season's 26-win team after starting for Majerus earlier in his college career.
    "A lot of people questioned the way he did things, but I loved it. He'd be hard as hell on you, but he really cared."
    The school announced Nov. 19 that Majerus wouldn't return to Saint Louis because of the heart condition. He ended the school's 12-year NCAA tournament drought last season and bounced back from his only losing season, with a team that won its opening game and took top regional seed Michigan State to the wire. The Billikens were ranked for the first time since 1994-95.
    Majerus was undergoing evaluation and treatment in California for the ongoing heart trouble, and the school announced he was on leave in late August.
    Majerus had a history of heart problems dating to 1989
    Advertisement

that persisted despite a daily constitutional of a one-mile swim. He had a stent inserted in August 2011 in Salt Lake City.
    Majerus was 95-69 in five seasons at Saint Louis and had a 25-year record of 517-216. He had his most success at Utah, going 323-95 from 1989-2004. He was at Marquette from 1983-86, and Ball State from 1987-89.
    Majerus took 12 teams to the NCAA tournament and four to the NIT, with the 1998 Utah team losing to Kentucky in the NCAA championship game.
    "It's a sad day for college basketball," UNLV coach Dave Rice said.
    Kentucky 64, Baylor 55: Kentu
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Rest in Peace, Dave Brubeck (December 6, 1920 – December 5, 2012).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1S_vA0ougg"]Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (Belgium 1964) - YouTube[/ame]
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Take Five conjures up special memories of hanging out with my dad when I was a little girl. Definitely makes it one of my favorite albums of all time. RIP Mr. Brubeck, and thanks.
        "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• RIP Mr. Brubeck.
          2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Absolutely LOVED Sir Patrick Moore. He will be missed.

RIP Sir Patrick.

Sir Patrick Moore, who has died aged 89, did more than anyone, with the possible exception of Arthur C Clarke, to educate the British public about astronomy and space travel.
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Jan. 17: Johnny Otis, R&B singer
              Jan. 19: Sarah Burke, Canadian freestyle skier
              Jan. 20: Etta James, singer
              Jan. 22: Joe Paterno, former Penn State football coach
              Feb. 1: Don Cornelius, "Soul Train" founder
              Feb. 11: Whitney Houston, singer
              Feb. 16: Gary Carter, Baseball Hall of Fame catcher
              Feb. 29: Davy Jones, lead singer for The Monkees
              March 12: Michael Hossack, Doobie Brothers drummer
              March 28: Earl Scruggs, bluegrass musician
              April 6: Thomas Kinkade, artist
              April 7: Mike Wallace, newsman
              April 18: Dick Clark, longtime "American Bandstand" host
              May 2: Junior Seau, former NFL player
              May 4: Adam Yauch (MCA), rapper, member of Beastie Boys
              May 6: George "Goober" Lindsey, actor known for roles on "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Hee Haw"
              May 13: Donald "Duck" Dunn, bassist
              May 17: Donna Summer, disco legend
              May 20: Robin Gibb, one of three brothers who made up the disco group the Bee Gees
              May 29: Doc Watson, bluegrass music legend
              June 2: Kathryn Joosten, actress
              June 3: Richard Dawson, host and actor known for "Family Feud" and "Hogan's Heroes"
              June 5: Ray Bradbury, author ("Fahrenheit 451")
              June 17: Rodney King, victim of a police beating in 1991. The officers' acquittal in 1992 sparked riots in Los Angeles.
              June 26: Nora Ephron, novelist, filmmaker and screenwriter
              July 03: Andy Griffith, actor, director, producer
              July 8: Ernest Borgnine, film, television actor
              July 16: Jon Lord, Deep Purple's keyboard player
              July 16: Kitty Wells, country legend
              July 23: Sally Ride, first American woman to fly in space
              July 24: Sherman Hemsley, actor
              July 31: Gore Vidal, author
              Aug. 7: Marvin Hamlisch, composer
              Aug. 19: Tony Scott, film director
              Aug. 20: Actress comedienne Phyllis Diller
              Aug. 25: Neil Armstrong, NASA astronaut, test pilot, aerospace engineer, first man to walk on the moon
              Sept. 1: Hal David, song lyricist
              Sept. 3: Michael Clarke Duncan, actor
              Sept. 6: Art Modell, owner of Baltimore Ravens
              Sept. 25: Andy Williams, singer and Emmy-winning TV host
              Oct. 10: Alex Karras, former NFL player and actor
              Oct. 13: Gary Collins, actor, TV and radio host
              Oct. 14: Arlen Specter, former senator from Pennsylvania
              Oct. 25: Emanuel Steward, boxing trainer (his pupils included Tommy Hearns, Julio Cesar Chavez, Leon Spinks, Evander Holyfield and Wladimir Klitschko)
              Nov. 23: Larry Hagman, actor known for his role in "Dallas"
              Nov. 24: Hector "Macho" Camacho, boxer
              Dec. 5: Dave Brubeck, jazz composer and pianist
              Dec. 9: Jenni Rivera, singer
              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                Absolutely LOVED Sir Patrick Moore. He will be missed.

RIP Sir Patrick.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...ick-Moore.html
                He also played golf and once at his local course set a club record – of 231, including a 43 on the third hole.
                I am guessing I could have beat that!

RIP Sir Patrick.

I am going to have to look up some of his broadcasts, if they are available on the net.
                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25B7FW1DSTY&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]BBC The Sky at Night 2012 Other Solar Systems - YouTube[/ame]

They were all great MM. Here is one plucked from YouTube.
                  "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• I see Donna Summer on Tonys list there. Didn't know about that.

Comment

• Supurb!

I agree about the tailoring of his suits.

To wear a monical in 2012?

Totally a unique individual.

The subject matter is fantastically amazing.

BTW, where did he find two experts with PHD's that look younger than my kids?
                      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Jack Klugman dies in Los Angeles

Read the latest headlines, breaking news, and videos at APNews.com, the definitive source for independent journalism from every corner of the globe.
                        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Oh that is sad news,loved Quincy. RIP Jack
                          AAL Quintez Cephus
                          If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• There must be something in the water in Los Angeles.

Did you ever notice how many stars die there...?
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• just like my theory that there is a serial killer targeting the oldest person in the world.........

someone gets names as the oldest person, then BOOM, they are dead......

it is very suspicious......
                              The only logical explanation is:
                              I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• You would've thought Tony Randall woul've out lived ole Oscar madison... Loved his twilight zone episodes.

Comment

Working...
                                X