No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I prose a bit myself and find the keyboard much easier than the pen and paper.

When it is flowing, it does not matter what medium, I just keep going.

I find it annoying to have to type in what I already wrote then have to edit it again.

I must admit, when I write, I use a keyboard.

But I could not live without a pen at work .
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I love technology and the ability to instantly be connected to the internet or contact someone via cell phone or text. But there are limits and I don't feel the need to be "plugged in" every second. I try to encourage people to unplug.

I personally feel that people have lost the art & joy of face to face discussions. Some of my best memories involve just sitting and talking to friends or family over a cup of coffee.

Comment

• [QUOTE=YT;791389]I love technology and the ability to instantly be connected to the internet or contact someone via cell phone or text. But there are limits and I don't feel the need to be "plugged in" every second. I try to encourage people to unplug.

I personally feel that people have lost the art & joy of face to face discussions. Some of my best memories involve just sitting and talking to friends or family over a cup of coffee.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%, ...... and same for me regarding excellent memories of just talking with friends and family. There is nothing better. Especially family that you haven't seen in a while.
        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• [quote=Marko69;791402]
          Originally posted by YT View Post
          I love technology and the ability to instantly be connected to the internet or contact someone via cell phone or text. But there are limits and I don't feel the need to be "plugged in" every second. I try to encourage people to unplug.

I personally feel that people have lost the art & joy of face to face discussions. Some of my best memories involve just sitting and talking to friends or family over a cup of coffee.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%, ...... and same for me regarding excellent memories of just talking with friends and family. There is nothing better. Especially family that you haven't seen in a while.
          I agree, but if not for that ability most of us would not be able to talk to our friends and family near as often.

Because of the internet and the ability to plug in, I feel that I have friends all over the country and even the world that I feel I could visit and have a cup of coffee and that face to face interaction. I have been in contact withold friends, relatives and people from school that I haven't seen in over thirty years
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I think, I may be wrong, (the reason I responded) was I thought YT was speaking about people who live together, or see each other a lot. My wife's boys are never off Facebook and Twitter. And then when they have friends round, they all still sit looking at their phones in silence. It's a bit sad.

But agree with you 100% too. I have family in Australia......., the Skype thing is amazing.
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Yup, I don't think living in Japan would be so easy for me without Skype & e-mail.
              Last edited by LionsFanInJapan; August 23, 2013, 01:23 AM.
              2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Please don't get me wrong. Having tech (FB, Skype, email) is great and I used them significantly last year when living away from home for 9 months. It allowed me to maintain almost daily & instantaneous contact with the family.

I'll never figure out how sailors were able to go to sea for months at a time with only a occasional phone call back home.

I guess my point is that people are so accustomed to communicating electronically nowadays that they have lost the appreciation of sitting and talking with friends or family.

People will text or phone call a family member or friend to chat every so often instead of making time for these people. So will text or call a family member 2 rooms away or upstairs because they are too lazy to go talk to them face-to-face.

Example: Almost 2 years ago, the family & I went to see my Dad in Hillsdale. I'm not sure exactly why but something told me that I needed to go see Malto Mark before leaving Detroit.

I could have just called him but I think my sub-conscious was telling me that my Dad wasn't long for this world and I needed someone a couple of years older & wiser than I to help me maintain balance and give me strength for what was about to happen. So we stopped. It was only for a few minutes but it really helped me maintain my sanity.

We make time for the people that are important in our lives......

Comment

• "Example: Almost 2 years ago, the family & I went to see my Dad in Hillsdale. I'm not sure exactly why but something told me that I needed to go see Malto Mark before leaving Detroit. "
                  ------------------------------------NICE!
                  GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Mark = Yoda?
                    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by YT View Post
                      Please don't get me wrong. Having tech (FB, Skype, email) is great and I used them significantly last year when living away from home for 9 months. It allowed me to maintain almost daily & instantaneous contact with the family.

I'll never figure out how sailors were able to go to sea for months at a time with only a occasional phone call back home.

I guess my point is that people are so accustomed to communicating electronically nowadays that they have lost the appreciation of sitting and talking with friends or family.

People will text or phone call a family member or friend to chat every so often instead of making time for these people. So will text or call a family member 2 rooms away or upstairs because they are too lazy to go talk to them face-to-face.

Example: Almost 2 years ago, the family & I went to see my Dad in Hillsdale. I'm not sure exactly why but something told me that I needed to go see Malto Mark before leaving Detroit.

I could have just called him but I think my sub-conscious was telling me that my Dad wasn't long for this world and I needed someone a couple of years older & wiser than I to help me maintain balance and give me strength for what was about to happen. So we stopped. It was only for a few minutes but it really helped me maintain my sanity.

We make time for the people that are important in our lives......
                      I only regret we could not break bread.

I agree that moments face to face beat out hours of electronic communication every time.

Humanity does not need batteries. It has it's own power source.

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                      Mark = Yoda?
                      Nope. Mark = Olda.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Tony G
                        Mark = Yoda?
                        Nope. Mark = Olda.
                        Ohh! Gumbo you must!
                        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• British broadcaster David Frost, best known for his interviews with Richard Nixon, has died at the age of 74.

Comment

• RIP David. I really enjoyed your work.

Comment

• Great soccer player in his early life. Both Manchester City & Nottingham Forest wanted his services.

RIP David......, your dry sense of humour was second to none.

Comment

• RIP, Tommy Morrison: An All-American Champion Finally Finds Peace

Former heavyweight contender Tommy Morrison finally died last night, bringing to an end his 17 year struggle with HIV and a life equally triumphant and tragic. Morrison's story is a metaphor for his time in the ring; an epic tale of opposing forces in combat: a spirit so boundless that it propelled him to overcome insurmountable obstacles with the same ease his Hummer tackled speed bumps locked in an eternal struggle with demons so powerful that they would ultimately cost him his life - and perhaps, someday, the lives of some of those closest to him - when a cure was available to him had he only had the courage to ask for it. Perhaps it was only fitting for a man who was built like a Greek warrior that Tommy Morrison's life should unfold like a Greek tragedy, with his Achilles heel located somewhere between his ears.
                                Tommy Morrison was a most unlikely heavyweight contender. An unpolished diamond at a time when the heavyweight division still abounded with talent: Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis were all still at or near the top of their respective games. A guy who put beer and women first in a sport that requires monk-like devotion to the craft. A - let's just say it - white heavyweight contender at a time when even that idea was reserved for Chris Rock's punchlines. Yet, there he was, a rough and tumble, good looking, blond-haired, relative of John Wayne (hence, his nickname, "The Duke") holding his own with the best of the heavyweight division.
                                Morrison never won a heavyweight title, but some of that was just bad luck. He handily defeated George Foreman before Foreman would go on to stun the world by knocking out Michael Moorer. He knocked out Donovan "Razor" Ruddock: one of the most dangerous foes in the sport, best known for his pair of battles with Mike Tyson. Besides an inexplicable first round knockout to the unheralded Michael Bentt, Morrison's only losses were to Lennox Lewis and Ray Mercer. Morrison was always chinny, but he usually got up when he was knocked down. His heart - much bigger than his talent - always leading him into battle whether or not doing so was in his best interest.
                                Related
                                HIV-Positive Tommy Morrison Says HIV Doesn't Exist So He Has Unprotected Sex "Every Day"

This column from a few days back in which Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star speaks to former "heavyweight champion" Tommy Morrison is a … Read…

In the end, it was that same fearless spirit and zest for life that would be Morrison's undoing. When he tested positive for HIV in 1996, he initially approached it in shockingly mature fashion, accepting his diagnosis and seizing the opportunity to speak out on the dangers of unchecked promiscuity in an era of disease. That didn't last, however. Over the years, Tommy was taken in by HIV denialists - a bizarre collection of discredited scientists, conspiracy theorists, and, most unfortunately, HIV positive patients - who deny the link between the HIV virus and AIDS. Their magnum opus is a wretched "documentary" called House of Numbers, which Tommy watched regularly. Tommy stopped taking his medicine. He continued having unprotected sex. He fought HIV with the same haphazard reckless style he had employed in the ring, but with far less ability to defend himself. The results, unfortunately, were inevitable.

Today, the bell counts ten for Tommy Morrison. A damn good fighter. A uniquely American story of overcoming humble beginnings to reach the top. An all too common story of a man whose recklessness was his own undoing. Another victim of a disease that continues to take millions of lives each year, even in an era when most of us think that it has been cured. A tragic story of wasted opportunities and lives ruined for nothing. In death, we can only hope that Tommy Morrison finds something he never seemed to find in life: a break from the fighting. A chance to rest in peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X